Author Topic: Orange's DSL Showcase  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Orange

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Orange's DSL Showcase
« on: July 31, 2016, 03:41:19 AM »
Hi everyone, i'm Orange and this is my first proper bot in RA2 DSL

This is Tango. Its a lightweight weighing 241.9. The armour is Steel 3.

Would be grateful for any comments on how to improve it.

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Still can't make robots after 20 years.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Mr.Kinch
Re: Orange's DSL Showcase
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 03:48:10 AM »
Welcome, Orange.

As a first robot, it's fairly good. The only big problems I see with it is large exposed wheels and the weapon motor sticking out. 

Offline doot

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 06:02:33 AM »
My biggest problem with the 'bot is with the weapon itself. Heavy spikes only have one normal, so they will struggle to deal out damage outfitted in that way. I'd say you should angle the spikes to improve damage or use a different weapon such as beaters.

Offline Orange

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 07:32:20 AM »
I have made some changes to the bot based of the comments.

These include:
Change to the spinner size
Attachments on the spinner
The forks under the bot, acting as a scoop and damage source
The armour level (which is now at Plastic 5)
The weight has changed to 242.6

The wheel size has stayed the same as I wish for the bot to be invert-able, but if this does become a problem that I can't ignore, then the wheel size will be changed.

As you can see, the spinner is the part that has had the most work, however the position of the motor has not been changed.

The 2 Mini Vlad spikes have the swapped out for the forks instead which has given it better stability, but it has raised the height of the spinner and changed the spinner angle, which is still to be tested.

I must give a big thanks to DemonOfTomorrow for the idea of changing the attachments to the spinner, which allowed me to change the spinner size, forks and armour of the bot which has in turn also helped out with the problem Mouldy brought to my attention.

Once again, thanks to the both of you for the advise.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 07:42:49 AM »
Think you should directly attach those spinner teeth on the spinner instead of placing extenders on there first. it might be better to go back to the Vlad spikes so the disk is lower to the ground(and can hit away wedges) Looks good otherwise.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
Think you should directly attach those spinner teeth on the spinner instead of placing extenders on there first. it might be better to go back to the Vlad spikes so the disk is lower to the ground(and can hit away wedges) Looks good otherwise.
They're beater bars, not extenders. This weapon setup give the DPS of the teeth with the added durability of the beaters. It used to be pretty common in 2.1 IIRC.

What I would suggest is lower the armor to pl3 maybe, remove the scoop and replace it with skirts for stabilization (or the vlad spikes, though they are very heavy), and maybe somehow find a way to protect that weapon motor? But it's already looking like a competent bot.

It's pretty cool to see a new member who's actually talking feedback and improving. Keep it up!
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Orange

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »
I haven't edited Tango that much, but I have created some new bots

So here they are,

This is Hexa

This is OTK

This is Tango 2

This bot was actually my attempt to cover the motor on Tango. I thought it was best to make a new robot so I didn't make Tango any worse, but instead of improving Tango I kinda just ended up making a second, slightly different, version. Its got a powerful spinner but it always breaks very quick and its not invert-able like the original Tango.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 01:38:39 PM »
I see the skirts on Hexa are attached with baseplate anchors. You're gonna wanna use metal hinges or else those skirts won't get underneath anything. It's always a good idea to try to make your bots wide too, especially with VS, as it gives stability and improves the wedges.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots