Author Topic: Naryar's DSL showcase - Oldschool DSL-S with 2.2  (Read 373376 times)

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Naryar's DSL showcase - Building for NAR AI - expect bot dumps
« Reply #2560 on: April 25, 2016, 06:06:41 PM »
started some rebuilding

first, Roly Poly's Revenge

Nothing special, but I guess it's good enough. Semi-slow Gearhead-style trapper design. Except with axes.

Much superior to the original one, at least. Has 3mm titanium so it can take some hits to the chassis.

Scout. Something experimental. It shouldn't flip high, but forward, because the top burst ends up going that direction, mostly.

Yeah, original scout was quite boring as far as designs go, so I decided to go with something that isn't a bog standard flipper.

I think the flipping forward problem will be solved partially if I use a slow burst for the lower burst. But I can hardly make the two bursts fire in the same direction with that design.

It has 3mm aluminium, IIRC. 2 ants and a WP836E.

Da Dogg

Da Dogg. Pretty standard rammer, except it's a bit on the slow side and it has bottom and top ramplates for popup/gutripper protection.

A ripoff of one of my old NAR AI designs. It MAY be the old Da Dog, i'm not sure how it was built.

At least it looks good. The angled spikes on the sides not only stop the other spikes from touching the ground, but they also give a "jaw" feeling to the whole weapon system, which is about perfect for Steelyard Dogs.

1mm steel only, but has some external armor so it compensates. Think it must have 3 or 4 ants.

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #2561 on: April 25, 2016, 06:21:53 PM »
Does Da Dogg have Fast NPC's, or just regular ones? I'm thinkin' that you could downgrade the extenders or remove a spike or two in order to up it to NPC Fast's.

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2562 on: April 26, 2016, 04:04:41 AM »
Does Da Dogg have Fast NPC's, or just regular ones? I'm thinkin' that you could downgrade the extenders or remove a spike or two in order to up it to NPC Fast's.

It's a rammer. It has NPC fasts.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:15:26 AM by Naryar »

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2563 on: May 04, 2016, 12:37:10 PM »

Blade Assault. Has 5mm aluminium, if I remember correctly.

Not done for NAR AI, although since it's a smaller Blade Wave it may just end in Team Z. The bot itself is for Rival Rumble (prepare thine buttocks, kossokei)

I put some slight wheel protectors. Not the most efficient but that's as much weight as I want to spend on wheel protection :O

Also it must be the only poker with decent airtotal. It lasts through most of the 3 minutes, which is exceptional by my standards.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Naryar's RA3 showcase
« Reply #2564 on: May 27, 2016, 08:22:44 AM »
Just kidding. I'm not going to touch ra3 until the devs fix it.

anyways, more bots for NAR AI

Hammerhead Shark 4. bland bot. it has 5mm plastic IIRC

putting the multi's in a correct position and using hammers on multis was obnoxious due to the collision mesh of the magmotors.

the hammers are overlapped. although the game just let me do that (no BFE involved) and it is quite DSL-S in the fact which we do much more complex overlaps with razors and popups.

i wanted to add a wedge then i remembered the whole doubling of skirt hinge weight in DSL 2.2. oh well.

been pondering Blood Runner's design. should i attempt to do a 4WD tall VS, "overcutter" like it was originally ? i'm not too fond of the overhead poker design like it was in NAR AI, and the Stock design is yet another standard hammer.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2565 on: May 27, 2016, 09:59:35 AM »
stinger

3mm plastic. a bit of side armor to foil HS, at least for a time. still pretty fragile since no wedges and no real armor to speak of. but then again, it's a megaton bot.

think imma go tempest next, and then deadbeat

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2566 on: May 27, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »
tempest

1mm titanium, astro drive w/ wide ant wheels (the ones with the most grip). i alternated between panel sizes for aesthetic effect when the spinner's turning, and also because it is lighter.

has 2 halfsheets on the bottom.

Also I nearly put 4 flail razors on that bot, but I was out of weight.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2567 on: May 28, 2016, 05:40:12 AM »
the new coal miner

5mm titanium. i tested it quite a bit, it performs decently but it's a bit slower than expected, and it has to rely on the first impact to trap bots. it can't trap bots with the motor power.

thinking the old NAR AI Industrial Coal Miner may be better. maybe i should make a V-shaped chassis instead of U-shaped (which isn't wide enough but wide chassis = more weight. Or keep the old NAR AI ICM's design, rebuilt it.

also it went out of power while fighting the same old Coal Miner. Too much motors, alas.

at least it is noticeably less generic than what i have posted previously :P

Offline Pwnator

• Rep: 15
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • http://pwnator.tumblr.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #2568 on: May 28, 2016, 05:58:57 AM »
oh god yes

but instead of making the chassis V-shaped, perhaps you can do that to the motor rack? I'm not quite sure how to make the bot more reliable when forcing bots up the wedges
Clash Cubes 1 - Grey Matter (Runner-Up)
King of Karnage - Sideshow Freak (Runner-Up, Best Engineered)
Rust In Pieces - Paper Cut 3 (Grand Champion, Most Dangerous Bot)
Wheely Tag Tournament - Ion Thruster (Grand Champion, along with Ounces' DiSemboweLment)
UK vs USA - Dark Striker (Grand Champion)
Rust In Pieces 2 - Claymore (Runner-Up, Favourite Bot)
BBEANS 6 - Infection 4 (Runner-Up)
RA2 Team Championships - Serious Business, Skeksis (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, and Badnik)
RA2 Team Championships 2 - The Other Stig (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, Badnik, 090901, and R1885)
Replica Wars 3 - Abaddon (Runner-Up, Luckiest Bot)
BroBots - wheebot & yaybot (Runner-Up)
Robo Zone 2 - Dipper (4th place, Survival Champion, & Best Axle Bot)
ARBBC - The Covenant (3rd place, BW Rumble Winner, Most Feared BW)

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2569 on: May 28, 2016, 06:45:09 AM »
a comment in my showcase ! hooray !

oh god yes

but instead of making the chassis V-shaped, perhaps you can do that to the motor rack? I'm not quite sure how to make the bot more reliable when forcing bots up the wedges

V shaped motor rack on U shaped chassis = some weight wasted on extenders, alas.

and the V shaped thing should solve the forcing bots up the spinners.

also i think i should go for lighter spinners. or only three heavier spinners maybe

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #2570 on: May 28, 2016, 11:26:36 AM »
Seems weird with 2wd, but I haven't played 2.2 so as long as it can box rush, it should be great.

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #2571 on: May 28, 2016, 03:38:13 PM »
I could donate one of my bots to be Coal Miner, if you wanted - the bot in my showcase has improved quite a lot now, so you could always use that.

Also, the older Industrial Coal Miner also runs out of battery after about 2 minutes, which means that it dies off in your average DSL fight pretty quickly. Quite a few bots have issues with batteries, actually, what with DSL's changeups...

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2572 on: May 30, 2016, 05:21:39 PM »

the new scout. it has plastic, not sure if 3mm or 5mm. i attempted to improve the previous design which was very meh as a flipper. (it didn't even inverted bots but just tossed them forward)

now a different breed of complex flipper. well, this one flips but...

well, it's literally awful in battle. unstable, flips itself half the time, the flipper's not wide enough. But considering how it's Scout, a bot well remembered for sucking, i think it was inevitable.

and now for the sentinel rebuild

Watchful Sentinel. Think it has 3mm steel, so less armor and probably less powerful than the previous one, but it's fast and it's twice as low as the previous one, so more stable in general and it will be able to actually pose a threat to HS and SnS.

Still it IS quite powerful as a flipper and I get some very nice flips from time to time. it's just a matter of positioning.

I am now mostly done with RED ZONE. I think I'm going to build a LW hammer poker and a MW clamp (LW clamp = surefire way to fail at building). Not sure if I will skin them and AI them beforehand, though.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2573 on: May 30, 2016, 05:24:18 PM »
Flippers tend to be better at getting bots out of arenas if you have them steeper. With this setup you'll mostly flip straight up/back over the bot.
I mean stock Sentinel had a steep front so it kind of fits as well.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2574 on: May 30, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »
Flippers tend to be better at getting bots out of arenas if you have them steeper. With this setup you'll mostly flip straight up/back over the bot.
I mean stock Sentinel had a steep front so it kind of fits as well.

Well yes, it's not very Sentinel-like.

Honestly, i've been thinking about maybe changing some components, calling it EMERGENCY and be done with it :P

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2575 on: May 30, 2016, 05:31:16 PM »
Honestly, i've been thinking about maybe changing some components, calling it EMERGENCY and be done with it :P
Sounds good, keeping bots in the arena and annoying the hell out of them is very EMERGENCY like.

Sentinel is hard to pin down. From stock it's basically a less good EMERGENCY but the general consensus in mods was as a top tier flipper.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2576 on: May 30, 2016, 05:53:40 PM »
Sounds good, keeping bots in the arena and annoying the hell out of them is very EMERGENCY like.

Sentinel is hard to pin down. From stock it's basically a less good EMERGENCY but the general consensus in mods was as a top tier flipper.

As I see it, Sentinel should be of average speed but focusing on flipping power by quite a bit. And maybe front armor.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2577 on: May 31, 2016, 02:11:54 PM »

RED ZONE is now nearly finished. I only need to insert them into the AI folder, and set bindings.

Third Sentinel - Basic flipper, really, in the lining of Second Sentinel. 2 betas, 6 PC625's, dual mag drive, 3mm titanium, and it has quite a bit of front armor while having decent speed.

Surveillance - RED ALERT's little brother. I think it has 3mm plastic. Magmotor drive. Quite a bit of weapons for a LW poker as well (70kg in total) which is good.

Watch Tower - A clamp. NPC drive, 3mm Alu armor. It is quite powerful and clamps well - however it is seriously unstable and cannot self-right, so it spends most of it's time inverted.

And yes, it is obviously a MW at 399.0 due to smartzones. I changed it to MW anyways in the bot file.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:01:50 PM by Naryar »

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2578 on: June 16, 2016, 09:15:08 AM »
PREhISTORIC (for some reason i can't do capital h's. I don't even what)

Grog, the Mammoth hunter : It's like the original shell spinner grog, as in a mix of flails and static, but much less messy, and less boring than the NAR AI Grog which was a bog standard shell spinner. I like bear claws, it gives him some sort of savagery.

It moves in circles in the botlab, like the DSL2.1 Grog, but doesn't move much when AI'd. For some reason.

Also has a weird nose, aka nose=math.pi*1,3. I'm not even sure if it is straight considering how the npc's are placed. Steel 5 or something.

Silex Javelin : Like Silex before it, it's a poker. however now it's something in between a wammer and a poker instead of the weird v-shaped wedged poker before. has 3mm aluminium.

Woolly Rhino : The manliest bot in NAR AI 3 yet (closely followed by Devil IV, but it's manlier since it has less defense). If it's not either OOTA'ing his opponent or getting out of the arena in ten seconds, he will lose.

And yes, it's an inertia flipper. It needs more weapons upwards, I feel. If it loses it's two upwards spiked strips, it becomes useless.

Think it has 3mm steel. I may end up giving him less armor for more upwards weapons. May also use a non-steel wedge or less downward spike strips.

Father Grog : An evolution of the old stock grog. It's... a bit weird. It has strange weapon attachments, is using normals as a pusher hybrid, is a tiny bit messy, has some IRL style outside armor for some reason, and is a bit slow.

Still, it's a better fighter than i thought. Not a very good wedge (none of the DSL3 bots i have made seem to have good wedges so far), but it is quite strong (5mm steel), has lots of front armor, the iron spikes + axes are good for snagging parts of shell spinners/hs, and the axe is quite deadly. It's deshelled the other Grog in a few hits twice already. It also self rights quite well.

Offline Scrap Daddy

« Reply #2579 on: June 16, 2016, 11:17:03 AM »
I like them all. nice work, nar.