Author Topic: MyLifeIsIn8Bit - Showcase  (Read 2485 times)

Offline MyLifeIsIn8

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
MyLifeIsIn8Bit - Showcase
« on: January 01, 2020, 03:18:38 PM »
Hello anyone who may be looking, I only learnt of this games existence about a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying it greatly! I've tried to make my bots look relatively realistic whilst still being strong enough to at least beat the DSL 2.2 AI. Of course more than happy to hear what suggestions you may have considering you'll know what you're doing more than me.

Offline NickyDustyOwl

• Rep: 3
  • The Scum Of The Earth
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: KermitNicky
Re: MyLifeIsIn8Bit - Showcase
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 04:23:33 PM »
Welcome to the fourms!

I like the skinning on all of them, especially the Polycarb on Toastette and The Grey Prince

for your hammers, you should use counterweights instead of normal ballasts as they look much better.

Yeet-O-Matic (Not 100% sure if your going full IRL) skirts on the flippers would be illegal in most tournaments. You could use armor panels which are much stronger and legal.

Other than that, not bad for a newbie!
Things I done did:

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 04:29:09 PM »
Hello there! I see you like your overhead hammers/axes and I must admit for a newcomer, these are a bit lovely indeed! I'm not the best for advice, so I'll leave it to some of our more experienced members!

That aside, welcome to the forums and to the game itself! :mrgreen:
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Team Code Red Robotics

• Based
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Based
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Code#4035
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 04:36:53 PM »
Welcome fellow humanoid, you seem to have gotten the hang of making bots already, you're doing pretty good I must say. However, there's a couple things you can improve
1. Use Counterweights like Nicky said, they'll work just as good but they're more tightly packaged, allowing for it to ultimately look better.
2. Your bots seem a bit low on the armor side, but due to their chonk factor I'd say they could be tough to kill
3.for flippers, I'd use armor panels like Nicky has said as well, extenders underneath them will also prevent you from clipping into the ground trying.to self right.
And lastly, enjoy your stay here, your bots seem pretty good as is, their skins are really well made too, and so I am excited for the things to come.
Based

Offline [cringey name goes here]

• Supah Kickah
  • Rep: -4
  • coolest monkey in the jungle 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 04:51:22 PM »
Welcome to the forums my guy! If you’re looking for advice, the discord server is much more active, and you can find it on the home page. Tournaments are also hosted there.
Your bots look really nice. They’re quite reminiscent of some of the best’s first bots. I’m excited to see what else you come up with!
please eat something that you're allergic to, in excessive ammounts
:sweat-smile: sadness anxiety insanity and chaos some people choose 1 or 2 me i choose all 4 :sweat-smile:
funniest user 2020

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 05:21:54 PM »
Are tye npc-s clipping into eachother like the skin shows on the grey prince?

For all i know it could just be a skin

Offline MyLifeIsIn8

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 05:43:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm very glad it seems positive and It seems like a very nice community! I've made slight adjustments like the ballasts being switched to counterweights as well as reworking Yeet's flipper.

Yeet-O-Matic (Not 100% sure if your going full IRL) skirts on the flippers would be illegal in most tournaments. You could use armor panels which are much stronger and legal.

I was not aware of that, not that I had tournaments in mind whilst making it. But I've changed it now, granted I had to find a way to reduce weight to make up for a heavier flipper. But thanks for letting me know in case I join one in the future!

Are tye npc-s clipping into eachother like the skin shows on the grey prince?

The skin on the top of Grey Prince is just a screenshot of the internals with wires etc. layered on top. The motors do clips slightly. I assume that's what component freedom allows you to do. Is that an issue? I can likely move the wheels to slightly outside the chassis and hidden by the steel plates on the side to make more room for the motors.

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 06:01:28 PM »
All of them look great, especially Boombox and The Grey Prince! Great work!

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 06:13:27 PM »
Well most tournaments wont allow motor clipping (batteries clipping isnt allowed too)
Only clipping that is legal, is extender/armour panel clipping (with motors/batteries too as irl, you could cut out the clipping parts)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 11:25:34 PM »
I love toastette, good work on the skin (although a bump in resolution wouldn't go amiss). The aesthetic of boombox is neat too. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next!
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 05:48:54 PM »
Toastette with the #ad I love it.
Accomplishments:

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 11:18:35 PM »
You seem to pick up IRL better than me, so I don't have too much to say about the group. I like seeing some skins. It takes longer, but it usually looks better if you know what you're doing, and you're alright at it.

There's is nothing objectivly bad with big ballasts as counter weights, it can work visually. However, I would rotate the one on boom box 90°. Small wheels could help you save up weight on the design as well.

Offline MyLifeIsIn8

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 11:36:15 PM »
Thanks again everyone for the feedback and the warm welcome, I've made some changes based on what you guys have said:

The ballasts' have been switched over to counterweights, I don't think the ballast looked that bad in comparison to the counterweight but it seems like most would disagree. I also switched BoomBox's tires to the Fatboys because I like how it looks ha. Yeet -O- Matic's flipper has been reworked, it should now be ok for IRL tournaments unless double Beta spring motor are also not allowed which wouldn't suprise me. Are double Beta motors usually allowed in IRL tournaments? The spikes on top of the flipper stop the bot from doing flips when self righting as well as stops the flipper from glitching into the floor which would occasionally happen also when self-righting.

Grey Prince has had all clipping motors removed and now I hope the bot is eligiable for IRL tournaments. In order to do that though it was converted to smaller motors and 6 wheel drive. Thankfully the other robots were all fine in that regard to begin with. The shell on the outside was also lowered slightly so it might actually get underneath another robot now.

building this gave me a whole new found respect for some of the stuff you guys make. This is possibly the simplest extender bot I could think to build and it still felt like pulling teeth. I really like superflat robots though so I'm glad I gave it a go. Of course would love any feedback on this guy as well!

Offline 8bean

• Professional Tourney Rigger
  • Rep: 10
  • I'm on discord probably
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: 8bean#4514
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 12:43:05 AM »
Tectonic looks clean esp for your first extenderbot. I like the look of the polycarb top although tmwrs arent too strong of drive when the majority of bots run npc fasts. Also gj on yeet o matic's new flipper arm and you get plus cool kid points if boombox drives upside down

Stuff I didn't suck at (from oldest to newest)

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 04:35:41 AM »
Really impressive for a few weeks of building.  I like boombox especially. Keep it going.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 07:24:21 AM »
Seconding 8bean and Thyrus. Very nice work for someone so new to the forums. I'm especially impressed by how well aligned your panels are, as that's something that even people with years of experience seem to struggle with.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 10:14:23 AM »
Wow, you're off to a great start. And not a single messy spinner in sight!

I love the way you've designed Yeet-o-Matic with a gap for the wheel, I love that kind of aesthetic. The redesigned flipper looks great, though you should shuffle the motors closer together so the panels are touching, rather than leaving a gap in between them. To answer the question: double Beta motors are banned in most tourneys, you'd be allowed to use double VDMAs but I don't know what size you'd be able to fit in there. You can fix the flippers glitching through the floor when self-righting by putting extenders underneath the panels, like you did for Tectonic, but I honestly really like the "spikes" on Yeet-o-matic, so please keep those!

It's not often you see bots like Boombox with such oversized wheels, so points for originality. You asked about how to make the wedges more effective: the answer is to mount them on hinges, angled so that the tips are slightly lower than the bottom of your wheels. You might need to save some weight in order to be able to do so, but I'm not sure what to suggest in that regard.

Tectonic may be simple but it's beautifully clean, and I agree, super-flat bots are nice :D I'm concerned about its battery life, though: two long batteries just isn't going to be enough for a 4WD robot with two bursts. In my experience you'll want at least one more battery in there, maybe two.

Finally, a general piece of advice: if you resize the skin template to 512x512 or 1024x1024 after you export it, you can make much more detailed skins that won't look as blurry. Your skinning is already very good, I'd just love to see it at a higher resolution.

Hope to see more from you - and hope to see you entering tournaments soon!
My DSL Showcase

Offline MyLifeIsIn8

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 06:07:15 PM »
I'm concerned about its battery life, though: two long batteries just isn't going to be enough for a 4WD robot with two bursts. In my experience you'll want at least one more battery in there, maybe two
This was certainly correct! I definitely underestimated the amount of batteries I would need. An extra 2 antweight batteries have been crammed in and now seems to do the job.

Finally, a general piece of advice: if you resize the skin template to 512x512 or 1024x1024 after you export it, you can make much more detailed skins that won't look as blurry. Your skinning is already very good, I'd just love to see it at a higher resolution.
This is great to hear, I had no idea but I will certainly be doing that from here on out!

and hope to see you entering tournaments soon!
Ok, so this might be a stupid question, but how do I? Do I just message the tournament host on Discord?

plus cool kid points if boombox drives upside down
Only with 2 wheels depending on the position of the hammer but it can ha.

Thought it was time to look into spinners

Offline Team Code Red Robotics

• Based
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Based
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Code#4035
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 06:43:01 PM »

Thought it was time to look into spinners
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
Holy sh** these are good, not really much to complain about any of the bots in my eyes, but they're really well made
Based

Offline Lilleh__

• Overly ambitious tournament host
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Lilleh__#0625
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 09:07:08 AM »
Two betas.  No wonder you called it Yeet-O-Matic.