Author Topic: Mad-man 3's DSL showcase  (Read 76510 times)

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mad-man 3's DSL showcase
« Reply #420 on: September 06, 2015, 04:32:01 AM »
>multiextender armor
>2015

imperative is a bit messy but pretty sweet
i didn't claim it was original or even that it necessarily worked

Offline martymidget

• Rep: 7
  • Mr Flibble is very cross.
    • http://tts.imtranslator.n
    • View Profile
    • :)
    • Awards
« Reply #421 on: September 07, 2015, 05:52:25 PM »
I feel maw may be a little too wide and might let some VS go down the middle for a cheesy kill.

For imperative, I dunno about angling the rack the other way, I've tried it before and bots do tend to get stuck there, but the weight will force the front up, and with wheels as small as hypnos there's a good chance it'll get immobilised before the other bot gets destroyed.

It's good to see you still building jugglers, I'm all out of ideas for them.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #422 on: September 08, 2015, 04:21:47 AM »
I feel maw may be a little too wide and might let some VS go down the middle for a cheesy kill.

For imperative, I dunno about angling the rack the other way, I've tried it before and bots do tend to get stuck there, but the weight will force the front up, and with wheels as small as hypnos there's a good chance it'll get immobilised before the other bot gets destroyed.

Well, a lot of the weight is focused on the weapon motors at the front, so I dunno. I'll test it out since it doesn't work well enough atm.

Also I don't really have "new" ideas for them, I'm just trying to perfect the same basic design for the most part with the dual perm 132 angled disc approach. Maw is probably the best so far damage wise.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:19:07 AM by madman3 »

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #423 on: September 08, 2015, 06:17:22 AM »

You know what happens when razors are on flail?  They flex.  You cannot avoid those stupid weapons rather you are a VS, a TRFBD, or a popup.  You get on top with an upward spin?  It knocks the weapon up.  You get under with a wedge?  It knocks the weapons down.  A few seconds of that and you lose half your weapons.  I don't theorycraft.  I have ty4er's flail rams so I know how they behave.

I am not stopping anyone from building, I just don't care about DSL-S anymore because I don't see any new ideas working.
well here comes theorycraft-man3

It's a "TRFBD" (sans actual torque reaction) where the bot moves forwards whilst the weapons spin downwards. This allows it to strike the top of bots more effectively, avoid the flail weapon configurations of flail rammers better, and remove the tops of SS better. Sadly this design AGODs the moment you put it in the arena, but it still technically works, it just looks horrible and is quite unstable. Hopefully this idea can be taken further since it should hopefully mitigate some of the strengths of flail rammers and other OP bot types. It does suffer from having the exposed stabilizers but they remain behind the bot so they should be out of danger most of the time.

When the stabilizers are gone the bot just kinda becomes a normal TRFBD, so it's not critical loss. Matchup wise it's now probably much better against all types other than VS and SnS, because the former gets better trades on weapon exchanges and the latter still destroys the drive train of it pretty badly.

This would probably work better at SHW, since the "Wheels and drive" section of the bot could be made heavier which would increase the overall stability.

Alternatively, you could AI a TRFBD to constantly retreat from the opponent until it gets counted down, then it tries to move back forwards. This would technically use controlled movement and would have its weapons spinning down. This would probably also beat
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:39:35 AM by madman3 »

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #424 on: September 08, 2015, 06:36:42 AM »
Pretty sure that's not a TRFBD as it lacks the 'Torque-Reaction'
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #425 on: September 08, 2015, 06:39:06 AM »
Pretty sure that's not a TRFBD as it lacks the 'Torque-Reaction'
Technically true I guess but it's visually and effectively similar.
Flail Full Body Drum? FFBD is a little easier on the syllables so we can use that.

Also as stated in edited post it basically becomes a TRFBD without the stabilizers, so it's kinda... both?

Offline martymidget

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #426 on: September 08, 2015, 10:41:11 AM »

Well, a lot of the weight is focused on the weapon motors at the front, so I dunno. I'll test it out since it doesn't work well enough atm.

Also I don't really have "new" ideas for them, I'm just trying to perfect the same basic design for the most part with the dual perm 132 angled disc approach. Maw is probably the best so far damage wise.

I haven't come up with a way to improve the traditional juggler more than I have at the moment. Good luck.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #427 on: September 08, 2015, 05:02:24 PM »
Adjusted Maw in the way Reier said and there's a small increase in damage output and it still scoops bots up onto the discs fairly well so success there.

Some more new bots, these aren't terribly serious but were quite fun.

Another trackbot, steel 10 and loads of armour. Weapons last reasonably lost and it doesn't die.

Overcutter, kills SS and Spinners, loses to anything with a wedge, sucks overall but good vs SS and doubles as a decent pusher since it has 5 Sledge 60s.

Offline G.K.

• Rep: 10
  • Striving for a good personal text since 1994.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #428 on: September 08, 2015, 05:24:16 PM »
Would it be worth giving Armoured Core a wedge to try and combat its problems?
My above post explains everything about everything.

Host of: Wheely Tag, Back To The Beginnings, BTTB 2, BTTB 3, BTTB 4, & BTTB V.

Heavy Metal: Champion (Mockery of the Whole Concept)
Robotic International Wars Series 1: Champion (Minifridge 6)
RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Clash Cubes IV: 5th place (Fretless)
BBEANS 6: Rumble Winner & 6th Place (Minifridge 4)

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #429 on: September 08, 2015, 06:18:34 PM »
diggin core
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #430 on: September 09, 2015, 04:31:05 AM »
Would it be worth giving Armoured Core a wedge to try and combat its problems?
It'd be really hard to do so given the Potters Wheel which I want there for rule of cool and to reduce ground clearance. Best I could manage would probably be a Mako wedge but I think it's a little too fast for one to be effective.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #431 on: September 09, 2015, 05:29:20 AM »
3.14 Ston Clone

Another juggler/FS

Sledges work really well as a plough.

Offline G.K.

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #432 on: September 09, 2015, 05:52:19 AM »
Can we see a side profile of Touch of Evil?

Love 3.14 Stoner

RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #433 on: September 09, 2015, 08:29:19 AM »
I could be wrong but I think 3.14 Stoner could benefit from the wheels being closer to the center. You don't have to rebuild anything, just rotate the Eteks 180 degrees.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #434 on: September 09, 2015, 01:53:27 PM »

Scoops up bots fine despite the steep angle of the spinners.

Will do that Badnik.

Offline ty4er

« Reply #435 on: September 09, 2015, 02:07:34 PM »
do you even need the steel skirt at the back of 3.14 stoner? idk if you need the first disk holding the rest of the setup on there either, depends if you got enough armour or whatever else the weight would go towards

i'm a bit out of touch, wouldn't it work better if the weapons were spinning inwards on the fs? would that not help it juggle more or
DSL Showcase
is this bot don't lost all razors in a fight before do a damage thought

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #436 on: September 09, 2015, 02:20:17 PM »
do you even need the steel skirt at the back of 3.14 stoner? idk if you need the first disk holding the rest of the setup on there either, depends if you got enough armour or whatever else the weight would go towards

i'm a bit out of touch, wouldn't it work better if the weapons were spinning inwards on the fs? would that not help it juggle more or
The disc was basically the only option of the exact right length. As for the steel skirt it was easier to do that since the insides are pretty full up due to the CO2 tank.

The weapons on the juggler are spinning inwards but I've got the weapons configured the other way since that way it's a gentler impact with each weapon (does the same damage because lolRA2), so the weapon speed stays similar, the bots get pulled in easier, and there is a greater change of the beaters also hitting slightly against extenders.

Really it's an optimization that should have been figured out ages ago but it works and people will probably remember it now.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #437 on: September 09, 2015, 05:01:13 PM »
Whammer/inertia flipper

Going to adjust the front wedge beaters to see if I can get it to scoop things more smoothly, since it tends to go a little crazy on inpacts. Will also angle the flipping rack up a little more so it flips better.

Offline G.K.

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #438 on: September 09, 2015, 05:12:25 PM »
Will also angle the flipping rack up a little more so it flips better.

Yeah, this is what I was going to say. Looks good otherwise.

Offline martymidget

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #439 on: September 09, 2015, 06:55:41 PM »
Really it's an optimization that should have been figured out ages ago but it works and people will probably remember it now.

It was, but nobody believed me :P