Author Topic: Mad-man 3's DSL showcase  (Read 76520 times)

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mad-man 3's DSL showcase
« Reply #200 on: October 13, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »

Remember that old popup earlier in my showcase that was edited into Shovel Headed Blockbuster, my BTTB4 eventual runner up? This is more or less the sequel to it. 4 less razors, 3 times as much frontal armour by weight. Wedges are still pretty damn good, and it's fast, powerful, and still extremely damaging.

Yeah, decided to be lame and use Judge bursts. It doesn't perform badly with BSGs, though. As you can see, it uses the linear actuator to give the flipper a forward flipping style, which means it's even better at OOTA'ing bots.

Kinda standard IRL flipper. Doesn't perform badly at all, and can take on spinners with Tit 5 armour.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:10:43 PM by madman3 »

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: October 13, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »
I like how SSB looks. The other IRL bot doesn't look so slick and both could do with a cool skin. Also, wouldn't a piston be better than a linear actuator?
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline ty4er

« Reply #202 on: October 13, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »
Can you not change SSB so the flipper is near enough flat?

idk it just doesn't look that irl like that to me :P
DSL Showcase
is this bot don't lost all razors in a fight before do a damage thought

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: October 13, 2011, 10:44:36 AM »
The Last one is my favourite of those 4. But all are looking good.

...Except you shouldn't use battlepacks in #2. you should use only Ants.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: October 13, 2011, 10:46:46 AM »
I like how SSB looks. The other IRL bot doesn't look so slick and both could do with a cool skin. Also, wouldn't a piston be better than a linear actuator?
Piston's would perform worse as they cope worse with pushing other bots forward, while the actuator does that role rather smoothly. In testing a Piston struggled with moving the weapon forward.
I suck at skinning though I'll find the time to skin it later.
The Last one is my favourite of those 4. But all are looking good.

...Except you shouldn't use battlepacks in #2. Only Ants.
Battlepacks work fine in terms of efficiency and are technically enough to power a BSG, and are more weight effective in that role than an ant. Nothing wrong with battlepacks if you've got the space.

Can you not change SSB so the flipper is near enough flat?

idk it just doesn't look that irl like that to me :P
Will do.

Offline NFX

• Rep: 11
  • SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #205 on: October 13, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
For Blue Beetle, I'd swap the two Halfsheets in the middle for a Titanium Sheet. Same weight, but an extra 50% HP. Chassis could probably stand to be tightened up a little bit, and you might be able to get more ants instead of the Battlepacks you have at the moment.

I like the look of Star Spangled Banner, though. With a good skin job, it would look approximately 43% more awesome.

Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: October 13, 2011, 10:53:26 AM »
For Blue Beetle, I'd swap the two Halfsheets in the middle for a Titanium Sheet. Same weight, but an extra 50% HP. Chassis could probably stand to be tightened up a little bit, and you might be able to get more ants instead of the Battlepacks you have at the moment.

I like the look of Star Spangled Banner, though. With a good skin job, it would look approximately 43% more awesome.
Attaching the titanium sheets would be rather inconvenient, as it would require some really awkward skirt hinge placement. As for the chassis, I see no real disadvantage as realistically I'm not going to get a huge weight decrease, which doesn't leave a lot of opportunity to add weapons while keeping it balanced per bsg; I think the minor HP increase is preferable. As for batteries, it is technically overpowered as it is, so adding more ants isn't very efficient.

I'll see what I can do about the titanium sheets.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2011, 11:11:15 AM »
Piston's would perform worse as they cope worse with pushing other bots forward, while the actuator does that role rather smoothly. In testing a Piston struggled with moving the weapon forward.
Really? I thought servo parts couldn't move opponents...
Have you tried storm bursts?
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
Really? I thought servo parts couldn't move opponents...
Have you tried storm bursts?
I wimped out due as I often get AGOD with Storm bursts.
Anyway, the servo definitely moves oponents; it's likely because of the flipper adding more force; anyway, I've made bots that can successfully lift HW with servos, there's once a few pages back.
Anyway, updated Blue Beetle.

Decided to use aluminium wide instead of titanium skirts due to the possibility of a wedge lock being more likely with the latter.

Offline NFX

• AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »
Looks very nice now. Do you not have enough weight for Titanium Angled Sheets?

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #210 on: October 13, 2011, 11:36:06 AM »
Looks very nice now. Do you not have enough weight for Titanium Angled Sheets?
Nah, but with the titanium sheets there it can live pretty well round spinners. I could probably drop the two unnecessary ants, but I prefer overpowering to over-armoring when it comes to popups :P

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: October 13, 2011, 11:55:22 AM »
Looks pretty good. Have you fixed that empty space issue ?

Offline martymidget

• Mr Flibble is very cross.
    • http://tts.imtranslator.n
    • View Profile
    • :)
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: October 13, 2011, 02:14:10 PM »
That skirt hinge is just asking for AGOD, unless your copy of DSL is nice and doesn't AGOD up if you ever mix metal hinges and skirt hinges XP

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: October 13, 2011, 02:22:27 PM »
Looks pretty good. Have you fixed that empty space issue ?
Tried it and couldn't upgrade anything usefully with the provided weight. I'll see if I can replace anything with the smaller chassis.

That skirt hinge is just asking for AGOD, unless your copy of DSL is nice and doesn't AGOD up if you ever mix metal hinges and skirt hinges XP
The wedges are still okay:P

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: October 13, 2011, 09:19:13 PM »
Just wondering, would it help if the razors were turned 180 degrees. I was thinking this because of the collision mesh.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: October 14, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »
Just wondering, would it help if the razors were turned 180 degrees. I was thinking this because of the collision mesh.
For some reason, that never really helped much in terms of damage. Razors are less likely to be stripped off this way anyway.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: November 21, 2011, 05:37:51 PM »
New bawts (gonna do one huge spoiler dump)

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: November 21, 2011, 06:45:56 PM »
Shattered Like Glass is pretty cool.

Offline NFX

• AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: November 22, 2011, 08:55:30 AM »
SLG - I like the idea. Shame about the havokiness, though, but it might work with a slightly stabler setup.
OC - Wheelguards look cool, certainly. Random skirt hinges on the front, however, do not. They'd best not be for MCB wedges.
Demanufacture - I like the setup very much. My worry would be the entire weaponry coming off in one hit, though, but it looks like it does its purpose very well.
TRFBD - Yep, I made a similar one. I think mine had E-Teks and less razors, though.
SBR - That is one awesome looking IRL bot. It would be even more awesome if the piston could be raised and lowered. Chassis proportions are spot on, excellent work.
Concept - Idea should definitely work, maybe somthing similar to Ludicrous Speed. Don't know why the sledgehammers are there, though, you could get some more razors up front. Maybe replace the Vlad Spike with them too. If you can refine it and get rid of the AGOD, it should be a very nice design.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: November 22, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »
SLG - I like the idea. Shame about the havokiness, though, but it might work with a slightly stabler setup.
OC - Wheelguards look cool, certainly. Random skirt hinges on the front, however, do not. They'd best not be for MCB wedges.
Demanufacture - I like the setup very much. My worry would be the entire weaponry coming off in one hit, though, but it looks like it does its purpose very well.
TRFBD - Yep, I made a similar one. I think mine had E-Teks and less razors, though.
SBR - That is one awesome looking IRL bot. It would be even more awesome if the piston could be raised and lowered. Chassis proportions are spot on, excellent work.
Concept - Idea should definitely work, maybe somthing similar to Ludicrous Speed. Don't know why the sledgehammers are there, though, you could get some more razors up front. Maybe replace the Vlad Spike with them too. If you can refine it and get rid of the AGOD, it should be a very nice design.
OC-Nah, its plastic skirts on those hinges. Pretty lame but it was performing rather hopelessly without.
Demanufacture-Somehow that never happened in testing. It can beat very heavily armed spinners and shell spinners in particular with ease.
SLG-I think its simply because the NPCs are too close together, personally. I'll make a revised version tomorrow.
Fate's Warning (concept to you)-As I said, this was more for proof of concept. Razors are on the axles so they can move upwards and absorb some of the other robots impact before moving forward and flipping them. Rule of 7 prevented me from adding more razors to the front rack, and I personally thought that due to the not so great damage potential survivability was favorable.
TRFBD-I'm tellin' y'all, more weapon weight is favorable to greater speed on these things.