Author Topic: KupaTec DSL Designs  (Read 7348 times)

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
  • Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: KupaTec DSL Designs
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 09:43:43 PM »
Could probably be a CW looking at it, with just 1 E-Tek powering the drum, but it's fine as a hw if it gets a little more speed.
I did experiment with getting it down to CW by dropping one of the E-Teks and stripping some of the armour, but could not seem to strip those final few kilos while keeping it looking "good", instead it is currently a slightly underweight HW.

Oh and Twisted Fate 2 for MM3 champ don't @ me
Well, no pressure then!  :laughing

And here she is, as you can see I figured out how to skin parts and went a bit mad with all the panels.
Drive upgraded to TWM3R2s which has, along with the lowered weight, turned it from a slow hitter to a feisty demon.
Rear, side and top panels are titanium, extenders aluminium and the front armour is steel.

Now to figure out how the hell AI'ing works so I can set this boy loose in tourneys!

Offline 8bean

• Professional Tourney Rigger
  • Rep: 10
  • I'm on discord probably
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: 8bean#4514
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2019, 09:56:52 PM »
bro wtf why ur bots look so good
also what he said \/
I really like how you're themeing your showcase too. Keep up the good work!
Stuff I didn't suck at (from oldest to newest)

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2019, 10:00:01 PM »
Could probably be a CW looking at it, with just 1 E-Tek powering the drum, but it's fine as a hw if it gets a little more speed.
I did experiment with getting it down to CW by dropping one of the E-Teks and stripping some of the armour, but could not seem to strip those final few kilos while keeping it looking "good", instead it is currently a slightly underweight HW.

And here she is, as you can see I figured out how to skin parts and went a bit mad with all the panels.
Drive upgraded to TWM3R2s which has, along with the lowered weight, turned it from a slow hitter to a feisty demon.
Rear, side and top panels are titanium, extenders aluminium and the front armour is steel.

Now to figure out how the hell AI'ing works so I can set this boy loose in tourneys!
Nice work with the skinning on the panels. It looks as though the beaters on the drum are gonna clip the front of the drive motors when the drum spins though, which would rule it out of being IRL. I could be wrong though. If it is the case that it does clip, I'd suggest maybe trying NPCs/NPC fasts arranged like so:

NPCs.png

Again though, really nice work. You're already well ahead of several people who've been building far longer than you have.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2019, 06:04:33 AM »
bro wtf why ur bots look so good
I'll take that as a compliment, I do worry when making my bots that I am sacrificing some performance in the name of aesthetics but so far I think it's been worth it.

Nice work with the skinning on the panels. It looks as though the beaters on the drum are gonna clip the front of the drive motors when the drum spins though, which would rule it out of being IRL. I could be wrong though. If it is the case that it does clip, I'd suggest maybe trying NPCs/NPC fasts arranged like so:
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

Again though, really nice work. You're already well ahead of several people who've been building far longer than you have.
You did have me worried there about the beater bars, but I think it was just a trick of the camera angles I had used, as I went in to the lab to check and while it is a tight squeeze there was no overlapping. That NPC configuration is neato, thanks for showing me! I did attempt to build something with them but every attempt ended up with a really wide body, however you may have just shown me the magic trick to making decently compact NPC drives!

Offline NeonCalypso

• PMD Comics are my fetish
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Objective: Survive
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 08:38:08 AM »
The way you skinned those ramplates was a nice touch, its also the best bot from a newcomer too

Great to see new people here on the forums
>not letting me ai my own robot

unironically kill yourself
Stuff I won at

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 09:23:28 AM »
Damn man, that looks pretty sick.  Welcome by the way.

I do agree with the others on the concern of the weapon clipping the drive motors, but that's about it.  Mad props for taking the time to even skin the panels.

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »
The way you skinned those ramplates was a nice touch, its also the best bot from a newcomer too

Great to see new people here on the forums
Thanks for the welcome and very kind words! Hopefully I can continue to impress!

Damn man, that looks pretty sick.  Welcome by the way.

I do agree with the others on the concern of the weapon clipping the drive motors, but that's about it.  Mad props for taking the time to even skin the panels.
I have messed around a bit with the design and extended out the weapon arm (while also reinforcing it) as seen below. I like to make my bots stand out from the rest, and what better way than opening up photoshop and messing around for a bit to get something neat looking. Honestly now that I've gotten the hang of it I'm hoping to be able to get much wilder with my designs.

No super fancy splash this time as it's only a minor revision to hopefully enter in the MM3 tourney if I can figure out how.
Extended out the weapon arm by 10cm to completely erase any worry of clipping with the drive motors, as well as buffing the arms
strength to a blend of Steel and Titanium using the weight I still had available to me, this has toughened up the bot significantly.

Offline superbomb122

• toomuchweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Really nothing special
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: superbomb122 #3549
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 10:29:14 AM »
I meant my Twisted Fate lol

The component skinning on yours is nice tho, especially for a newcomer. Keep it up!
Phantom- OW4 quarterfinalist and PWS6 runner-up
All Guts, No Glory- CUndisputed Champ obv
Everything else I've made- sh**

Delete your account smh

(Phantom is cool)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 11:35:12 AM »
Bruh youre already better than 90% of zommers on gtm rn

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2019, 11:39:45 AM »

Long, fast and surprisingly powerful. What started as an experiment in learning how to make
interesting wedge shapes ended up as a neat little CW Flipper Bot capable of going toe to toe
with even HW bots in AI testing. I am really quite happy with this bot other than the glaring
weakness of it's low battery capacity which has made for some tense matches!

Massive thank you to TheRoboteer for helping me out with getting the panel work just right.

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2019, 11:41:52 AM »
That's a really sick shape

Offline 8bean

• Professional Tourney Rigger
  • I'm on discord probably
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: 8bean#4514
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »
Looks like a wipeout ship lmao. I really love the panelwork you've done on the sides, the only problem I could see with it is since the flipping arm is so long it could have some issues tossing other bots. Other than that though it's super solid. Keep up the great work man
Stuff I didn't suck at (from oldest to newest)

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2019, 02:41:00 PM »
Massive thank you to TheRoboteer for helping me out with getting the panel work just right.[/center]
No problem my dude. Really nice work here, just like your last few bots. Your stuff has just the kind of aesthetic I really like in RA2 bots.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2019, 04:20:25 PM »
That's a really sick shape
Looks like a wipeout ship lmao. I really love the panelwork you've done on the sides, the only problem I could see with it is since the flipping arm is so long it could have some issues tossing other bots. Other than that though it's super solid. Keep up the great work man
Thanks guys, it has that WipEout crossed with an Arwing look going for it, which I love. In terms of the flipping arm length it's great when being human driven as I can pick and choose my throwing angles by moving further under the opponent but the AI is probably not going to be anywhere near that smart. Luckily it can toss full HWs around with ease even using just the bottom quarter.

Offline NickyDustyOwl

• The Scum Of The Earth
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: KermitNicky
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2019, 07:16:05 PM »
I dig this.
Things I done did:

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Interior crocodile alligator 🤔
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2019, 05:12:11 AM »
tbh if your getting no complaints from robo then you know your doing good
your honestly one of the best builders already well done dude  :claping
Achievements and tournament placings

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2019, 06:17:30 PM »

Say hello to MORTAL COIL and it's devastating 6MAG powered angled spinner.
Again I was experimenting with different body shapes and came up with this little
beauty. It is super hard hitting and pretty rapid thanks to its wide wheelbase however
the exposed disc is a prime target for hammers and it's flat front means that if it is
flipped on to the disc it has no way to self right, sadly.

It felt odd to me making a bot outside of my usual colour scheme so I also ended up
playing around with the colours and made a KupaTec branded variant BULLSHOT:

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2019, 06:30:20 PM »
I really like it, especially how you did the front section. HS with actual drive motors instead of weapon spam is also always nice to see. Really good job my dude, it's a lovely build. If you end up AI-ing it, I would recommend some variant of Rammer instead of Omni, as you have strong drive. If you use Omni, it will chase the other bot down and you'll never get a chance to actually spin up your weapon.

Side note, this is quickly becoming my favourite showcase thread on the site (not that there are thousands to choose from anymore or anything, sadly)
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2019, 06:38:55 PM »
I really like it, especially how you did the front section. HS with actual drive motors instead of weapon spam is also always nice to see. Really good job my dude, it's a lovely build. If you end up AI-ing it, I would recommend some variant of Rammer instead of Omni, as you have strong drive. If you use Omni, it will chase the other bot down and you'll never get a chance to actually spin up your weapon.
I've actually been playing around with the various AI profiles for these two, however never thought about using Rammer, I may have to give that one a go now, cheers!

Side note, this is quickly becoming my favourite showcase thread on the site (not that there are thousands to choose from anymore or anything, sadly)
Y'all are too damn nice, you know that? Hopefully I can continue to keep up the high standard for you

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2019, 08:59:28 AM »

It only took nearly 10 different permutations but SYZYGY is finally complete.
A mean hitting tribar spinner with the power of a 6MAG behind it's three hammers.
This was mostly an experiment to learn the power of BFE as can be seen on both the wheels
and the hammers where they have been brought in slightly to better fit the design.
Also uses the OmniSpinup2 AI to make sure it is dealing maximum carnage with each hit.