Author Topic: KupaTec DSL Designs  (Read 7349 times)

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
  • Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
KupaTec DSL Designs
« on: September 09, 2019, 06:19:00 AM »

Hello and welcome to my showcase for my DSL design bots. I mostly build in an IRL style and
(while I'm not the best) love building extenderbots. Hopefully you guys enjoy my builds and I
can bounce ideas off of you to get advice and feedback in order to improve my building.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 09:58:34 AM by KupaTec »

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: KupaTec DSL Designs
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 06:25:47 AM »
Here is my first bot to show off, been playing around with it quite a bit and am happy with both the performance and design so I figured why not show it off?

A pretty simple flipper bot that packs a small punch with a decent amount of armor to boot.
Capable of self-righting in most situations, however the base is covered in polycarb so not the strongest from below.
MIDKNIGHT is the evolution of my first ever extenderbot so even though it may not be the most powerful bot out there it will always have a place in my heart.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:41:59 PM by KupaTec »

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 07:03:14 AM »
That's a great bot for a newbie. A bit plain, but very neatly laid out with a well done weapon system. I really like how you're themeing your showcase too. Keep up the good work!
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 07:55:32 AM »
Welcome to GTM! You're off to a very good start. Midknight looks really clean and well-built, and I look forward to potentially seeing it in a tournament. I also agree with Badger about the theming, it's a pretty neat touch.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been building in DSL? I get the impression you've been practicing for a while now before making this thread.
My DSL Showcase

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 08:22:01 AM »
That's a great bot for a newbie. A bit plain, but very neatly laid out with a well done weapon system. I really like how you're themeing your showcase too. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Badger, I actually learnt quite a lot from your showcase, what you can do with extenders and armor panels just blows my mind. I'll stop fanboying now

Welcome to GTM! You're off to a very good start. Midknight looks really clean and well-built, and I look forward to potentially seeing it in a tournament. I also agree with Badger about the theming, it's a pretty neat touch.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been building in DSL? I get the impression you've been practicing for a while now before making this thread.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been playing around with DSL for a month or so now, mostly learning how to make a functional bot, then spent the last couple days really working on MIDKNIGHT in order to get it to state where I was happy to show it off. It is a little plain, which I was worried was going to be picked up on, though I am trying to get my head around skinning the panels to give my future bots a bit more personality.

I, too, am looking forward to entering a tournament once I get my bearings, so watch this space!

Offline KidDelta

• Treasure Sniper
  • Heavyweight
  • "To Comfort the Disturbed, and Disturb the Comfort
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: X Æ A-12#8572
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 09:30:00 AM »
Jesus Frickin Christ how.

Welcome to GTM, also now I'm intrigued
I shouldn't have come here

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 10:02:07 AM »
Wonderful stuff, I must say.

I noticed that the front angled armour panel can be flipped, then they can run flush with the wedge edges. Oh, and its got some Jilted Lover vibes :^)
Things I did & done

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 10:49:13 AM »
Great work my man. A tiny bit of messiness where the angle corners meet the wedge, but there's bots built by people with 10+ years of experience with worse than that so don't worry about it at all

All in all, it looks well thought-out, and well put together, which is very, very high praise for a first bot. Look forward to seeing what you put out in the future  :smile:
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 11:24:46 AM »
Jesus Frickin Christ how.

Welcome to GTM, also now I'm intrigued
Thanks for the welcome, I just kinda threw things together until they looked somewhat decent, to be honest. This is something like the 10-15th revision of this bot so it just came with time and relentless rebuilding.

Wonderful stuff, I must say.

I noticed that the front angled armour panel can be flipped, then they can run flush with the wedge edges. Oh, and its got some Jilted Lover vibes :^)
Oooh, that may help me neaten up the front end a bit as no matter how I wrangled with the angled corner edge piece it didn't quite work out right. Also just went and checked out Jilted Lover and damn it is a bit similar, isn't it; I hope I'm not going to cause any issues there?

Great work my man. A tiny bit of messiness where the angle corners meet the wedge, but there's bots built by people with 10+ years of experience with worse than that so don't worry about it at all

All in all, it looks well thought-out, and well put together, which is very, very high praise for a first bot. Look forward to seeing what you put out in the future  :smile:
Thank you very much! Yeah, as I said up above I just could not get that corner to look right, this was the least messiest version that I was happy with.

I must say I am loving the warm reception and I'm looking forward to creating more bots to show you guys!

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 12:42:37 PM »
Welcome!  I'm glad to have you here, keep up the great work!

Offline [cringey name goes here]

• Supah Kickah
  • Rep: -4
  • coolest monkey in the jungle 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 02:37:07 PM »
For only a month's worth of experience, this is an awesome build! I want to see more of what you have!
please eat something that you're allergic to, in excessive ammounts
:sweat-smile: sadness anxiety insanity and chaos some people choose 1 or 2 me i choose all 4 :sweat-smile:
funniest user 2020

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 08:54:15 PM »
Welcome!  I'm glad to have you here, keep up the great work!

For only a month's worth of experience, this is an awesome build! I want to see more of what you have!

Thanks guys for the kind greetings and even kinder words!

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 09:05:49 PM »

Behold TWISTED FATE, an experiment in compact drum spinner design that didn't really pan out as I wanted.
Covered in layered armour, and capable of wreaking destruction even while inverted, this bot is a bit of a mighty glacier.

This may be a project I revisit at some point but for now it stands as a powerful, rugged, but very slow bot.
I'm also not too sure if it counts as IRL legal due to the batteries and tops of the drive motors being in extenders.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 11:05:18 PM »
Not bad bots gonna say, however on a 2wd TWMR motors are pretty much suicide

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 02:54:39 AM »
I'll concur with the others, and also suggest adding extra beaters to the drum so they properly stretch from edge to edge. It would look better (IMO), and be more effective. You might have to strip some of the armour layers off, or downgrade them, to save enough weight. If so, then start with the back armour; apart from Parsec matches or melees, nobody's ever going to hit you there.

I'm also not too sure if it counts as IRL legal due to the batteries and tops of the drive motors being in extenders.[/center]

Extenders clipping through things is *generally* fine, because IRL you could just cut holes or slots in the extenders. There are exceptions, but in terms of what you've done, you should be okay.
My DSL Showcase

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 11:23:40 AM »
It looks pretty sweet and I like the layered armor idea, but its gonna struggle with its speed

If you could upgrade to twmr2s (it looks like you could have the space if you move the batteries to the middle) I think it would be much better
Not bad bots gonna say, however on a 2wd TWMR motors are pretty much suicide
Thanks for the advice guys, I have been working on a Version 2 by shuffling around the internals a bit to use the TWM3R2s, and stripping down a bit of the less important armouring in order to gain a boost in speed to bring TWISTED FATE up to a competitive level.

I'll concur with the others, and also suggest adding extra beaters to the drum so they properly stretch from edge to edge. It would look better (IMO), and be more effective. You might have to strip some of the armour layers off, or downgrade them, to save enough weight. If so, then start with the back armour; apart from Parsec matches or melees, nobody's ever going to hit you there.
I didn't want to make a straight bar of beaters as they would intersect due to the drum layering and it felt a bit cheaty, imo. However, in version 2, I am making the weapon look nicer by adding in extra beaters with a new layout. Thank you for the advice on the armour however, that too has been put in to effect.

Extenders clipping through things is *generally* fine, because IRL you could just cut holes or slots in the extenders. There are exceptions, but in terms of what you've done, you should be okay.
Ah, that's excellent to hear, thank you.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »
I didn't want to make a straight bar of beaters as they would intersect due to the drum layering and it felt a bit cheaty, imo. However, in version 2, I am making the weapon look nicer by adding in extra beaters with a new layout. Thank you for the advice on the armour however, that too has been put in to effect.
Most if not all builders do the same, so i wouldnt worry if i were you

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 01:34:48 PM »
Partial clipping of beaters, flipper panels etc is generally fine. What isn't allowed is having things fully inside each other (which is generally referred to as stacking rather than clipping) If you're unsure about the legality of something you can ask a tournament host or someone and they'll generally be able to tell you if it does or does not fly :)
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 05:38:07 PM »
Echoing what the boys say.

I'd also think you'll wanna look at some kind of feeder wedge.

Superbomb, what are your thoughts on Twisted Fate :^)
Things I did & done

Offline superbomb122

• toomuchweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Really nothing special
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: superbomb122 #3549
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 05:52:53 PM »
Superbomb, what are your thoughts on Twisted Fate :^)
It looks alright, about average for an extenderbot, and everything's been about covered by the others.

Could probably be a CW looking at it, with just 1 E-Tek powering the drum, but it's fine as a hw if it gets a little more speed.

Oh and Twisted Fate 2 for MM3 champ don't @ me
Phantom- OW4 quarterfinalist and PWS6 runner-up
All Guts, No Glory- CUndisputed Champ obv
Everything else I've made- sh**

Delete your account smh

(Phantom is cool)