Author Topic: Jets' DSL showcase  (Read 19056 times)

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Over 10 years and still can't build HWs.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Andle#5961
Re: Jets' DSL showcase
« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2014, 09:02:04 PM »
I really wanna make a (more) stable bar/sledge spinner, big numbers are so much fun. I suppose a big chassis and perhaps a weaker weapon motor would help, but where's the fun in that. It's surprisingly stable, until it comes up against a wedge, god forbid a fast wedge (which 90% of wedges are). If it strikes an angle it goes into orbit, and whilst it usually gets back on its wheels in a reasonable amount of time, there's always that one match where it spends more time cartwheeling than driving.

Plastic 1.
I dunno, it's generic as all hell. Any ideas? I really wanna do a sledge HS which isn't a SS.

Edit: Like, I know that plough has 14k odd HP, but srs?

Both AI. That plough was having none of it. Is there something I'm missing about sledge interaction with certain components? I know there's concussion/piercing, but it took all of it. :c
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:07:10 PM by jet-speed »

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2014, 07:01:47 PM »
Looks like old school IRL. I like it personally.

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2014, 08:33:54 PM »
Goddamnit Rule of 7, my shopping trolley was actually starting to become recognisable. ._.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2014, 08:37:16 PM »
I think Kill made a full shopping cart.

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2014, 08:45:47 PM »
Meh, figures. :P I must say though, it's not till you try to actually create an artbot that you can appreciate how hard it is to make them, and make them look good.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2014, 01:12:27 AM »
ORAD!

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2014, 07:36:15 PM »
Just found BBCRobotwarsUK on youtube and am watching through all the series' again, the nostalgia. :3 The time of uninspiring box wedges has inspired me to build uninspiring box wedges. Mostly just for more gimp practice.

Tite 5, 4 ants and NPC drive and...

Plastic 1, 4 ants and NPC drive. I wanted something I could legitimately call Wrecktangle, so I made a LW rectangle... with beater bars... to SnS!... with not a great deal of turning speed. Fml. Eventually I might realise that I'm a terrible DSL-S builder and need to actually do that to improve. As opposed to this.

Edit: Lel

Now all I need to do is figure out how to AI it. I must say it feels like a clone of something but I can't recall what or who's it was. The two long disappearances have confused me with regards to older bots.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:16:58 PM by jet-speed »

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
I must say it feels like a clone of something but I can't recall what or who's it was.
>Pinball (Sage) klones
>2014

wow

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2014, 07:43:01 PM »
yeah it looks cool, though it just looks like a box :P

also the first one is... what ? don't get the build

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2014, 09:03:57 PM »
Might have been something of Sage's come to think of it. Meh, I've been in and out of this community for years, I know quite a few of the 'older' bots. :P I tried looking it up on the wiki, but without the name I couldn't find anything; it was originally gonna be a potential clash cubes entry but I'm not sure I'm happy with entering what looks and feels like a clone.

If you mean the wedge, Nar, it's literally just a slightly more armoured pusher/rammer. :P Beaters are there to give it some kind of damage, and to break momentum of horizontal spinners. Is invertible obviously, just the hypnos don't show through unless they're moving. Saw Cunning Plan on Robot wars and decided I had to make a wedge and plow into things. I don't know either.

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2016, 07:03:31 PM »
Ey-yo. Poking head back in here in case I decide to build more things.

Posting this in the meantime more as a question than a showcase:

Getting back into building and learning the DSL 2.2 ropes so to speak, why the hell are skirt hinges/door hinges so borked compared to DSL 2.1? The amount of times they rupt to the high heavens is beyond me, never once had it happen in 2.1. I've imported bots over which have no issues on the older build to this one and it happens without fail.

I've tried more weight on the hinge, less weight, more pressure into the ground, less pressure into the ground, nothing has stopped it. Remove the hinges and it's 100% fine but then I'm without a proper feeder wedge. Am I missing something here or did 2.2 change some fundamental of the way they operate? Went at it for like 2 hours and I've given up for the time being.

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2016, 02:01:39 PM »
Ehh...

Tite 1.
Stupidly underpowered and as the Battlepack says, it will die with a minute left on the clock. Kinda need to change the frontal armour plates so that the teeth can reliably catch things but not sure if it's worth ruining the attractiveness. Is invertible, albeit somewhat slidey. Now would be a great time to be able to make a good wedge for once in my life seeing as it'll get annihilated by popups.

Edit: Could move the piglet forward a bit too I suppose.

Edit II: Went ahead and remade it since it sucked nomatter what I did with it. Expanded the chassis to add a second Battlepack so it lasts the full 3 minutes, lucked out on the wedges and all of a sudden it does things now.

Gloriously edgy too, just need a skin idea for it now. Ti 1. Isn't really invertible but it can right itself if it lands back down, and the spinner keeps it from being counted out if it lands on its front. Doesn't pick things up as such with only one face spinner but in the event that something finds itself on top the skirts do a good job of keeping it there. Just a shame the Astro drive kinda lets it down.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:20:11 PM by Jet-speed »