Author Topic: jdg37's garage of misfit bots  (Read 20455 times)

Offline jdg37

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • I got kids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
jdg37's garage of misfit bots
« on: October 17, 2016, 03:44:20 PM »
Hello, I am JDG37, creator of Armorgeddon 2, defeated  7th seed from the Redditbots tournament season 1.  I am sharing images of my hastily made entry, as well as those of the current iteration im still fine tuning for the next heavyweight tournament.

This design was rather rushed for tournament entry.  Didn't test it in combat until after submission period was closed. 

Drivetrain proved very weak, plus the combination of the weapon placement and drivetrain being too weak to properly use the wedges, the design proved underpowered for proper heavyweight competition.

Still put up an admirable fight against Black Wolf (the 7 seed was waaay too generous).

The current design has seen greater success with a human driver vs DSL AI.  Still leaves a lot to be desired.  Too undersized and quick to be toppled vs larger bots.  Would make a better middleweight.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:23:51 PM by jdg37 »

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: JDG37 Armorgeddon as seen in Redditbots Season 1
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 03:53:11 PM »
Oh man, that Mk.II looks vicious. TBH I think you think you deserve some kinda credit for entering a CW (cruiserwright) into a HW tournament, and then getting seeded that highly and putting up a good fight! I think we both learned our lesson from Redditbots: you can never do too much testing and refinement.
My DSL Showcase

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 03:55:52 PM »
Back casters are completely unnecessary, they can be static extenders and achieve the same effect, saving you weight. The cleprechaun arm being used as a srimech looks out of place as well.

Other than that, it looks really good for a newcomer. Welcome to GTM!

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 03:56:52 PM »
Hey, good to see more people coming around here!

Just a quick point that GTM IRL rules are perhaps stricter than the Redditbots rules - everything has to be possible IRL, so those floating axles on your perms would need extender support structures for a GTM IRL tournament. :)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 04:03:55 PM »
Nice looking robots, you'd probably make something cool for What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger.

[/plug]

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 04:19:32 PM »
Just a quick point that GTM IRL rules are perhaps stricter than the Redditbots rules - everything has to be possible IRL, so those floating axles on your perms would need extender support structures for a GTM IRL tournament. :)
Nice looking robots, you'd probably make something cool for What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger.

[/plug]
Having just spent the last hour or so working on my entries for Kurt's tournament because their extender supports weren't good enough, I can very much confirm this :dumb) You'll pick it up quickly, I've been here less than three weeks and already I feel like my IRL designs are a lot better than they were before I joined.
My DSL Showcase

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 04:22:16 PM »
Crop your pictures
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 06:59:24 PM »
Please put all of your responses in one post instead of posting 4 times in a row.

Offline jdg37

• Heavyweight
  • I got kids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »
Oh man, that Mk.II looks vicious. TBH I think you think you deserve some kinda credit for entering a CW (cruiserwright) into a HW tournament, and then getting seeded that highly and putting up a good fight! I think we both learned our lesson from Redditbots: you can never do too much testing and refinement.

Yeah was a new venture for me.  I'd been toying with the game for a few months and saw the tournament with les than 24 hours to submit, so I skipped test battles.  The mk2 gets under opponents far easier, though I doubt ai would pin them as well.

Ps. Thought vertigo was one of the coolest designs.

Back casters are completely unnecessary, they can be static extenders and achieve the same effect, saving you weight. The cleprechaun arm being used as a srimech looks out of place as well.

Other than that, it looks really good for a newcomer. Welcome to GTM!

Back casters are just the current attempt to lesten getting toppled during a box rush.  And the cleprechaun arm is also temporary to search for best srimech option. Will probably try to return towards the dual "cannon" srimech of the redditbots entry.

Hey, good to see more people coming around here!

Thanks for the welcome.  I've been trying to rework the weapon setup away from the perm anyway.  Takes up a lot of weight and space.  Current goal is to maintain a decent drum or disc with lifting arms hidden in the wedges. First attempt is promising though probably need a different chasis design.

[/plug]
Having just spent the last hour or so working on my entries for Kurt's tournament because their extender supports weren't good enough, I can very much confirm this :dumb) You'll pick it up quickly, I've been here less than three weeks and already I feel like my IRL designs are a lot better than they were before I joined.

I downloaded polonium 210 from the exchange which seems like a good example of what to shoot for.

Offline Merrick

• Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 10:14:51 AM »
I actually kinda like the use of the Cleprechaun weapon as a srimech.

Offline jdg37

• Heavyweight
  • I got kids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 12:08:20 PM »
Here is today's iteration i've been toying with.

Offline wrhysj

• Student of the wedge
  • Antweight
  • The North Wales Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 12:45:19 PM »
I really liked your bot and it was a good fight. Can't wait to see it tear all the competitions up
The Robot Wars mod is totally fair ok!!!

Offline Merrick

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 12:59:51 PM »
Whirlwep discs are trash. Why change from the old setup? The array of teeth and spikes looked cool and unique.

Offline jdg37

• Heavyweight
  • I got kids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 01:50:30 PM »
Whirlwep discs are trash. Why change from the old setup? The array of teeth and spikes looked cool and unique.

Just toying with a different motor setup.  Trying a design w/o using perms, plus trying to rework my original srimech look.  The Mk2 still performs far better, but needs improved self righting.  Also trying to improved pushing and wedge use with more power.  Overall goal is to (somehow) get the MK2 closer to MW, while trying to establish a 4wd heavyweight.

In the end I know I'll need to change the chasis again to hold the larger perm, then work on improving IRL supports.

Offline Merrick

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 02:01:27 PM »
Fair enough. I'd still recommend changing the discs to basically anything else.

Offline jdg37

• Heavyweight
  • I got kids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 07:49:52 PM »
Just worked out the kinks on my new colorful helldozer "Megido."  Lots of speed, lots of power hits.  Lots of fun.

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 11:48:20 PM »
With wedges that steep, you're gonna have a hard time getting the discs to do anything.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline jdg37

• Heavyweight
  • I got kids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
With wedges that steep, you're gonna have a hard time getting the discs to do anything.

Yes, i'm starting to realize that the plow design probably won't work for an ai bot.  Works fine when i'm using speed to drift to an opponents side or back to get under them, but as i'm slowly practicing ai-ing my own bots, I realize this will need to be changed.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 08:40:12 AM »
It's all a learning process, really good to hear you're taking your own initiative to work these things out too, nice work man!
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline jdg37

• Heavyweight
  • I got kids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 08:23:06 PM »

Just a Tombstone/Last Rites clone to test IRL building.  Still needs support work and some armor, but coming along.