Author Topic: im toast  (Read 13056 times)

Offline toAst

• Rep: 5
  • this one goes out to all of my babies mamas
    • View Profile
    • Awards
im toast
« on: September 07, 2014, 05:29:41 PM »
mhhmm

ive been playing around with dsl (thanks scrap daddy et al) and i wanna have a place to post my things. theyre not all going to be good im just funnin

somehow this nar uncontrallable little whirly dervish wouldve skid its way though its first tournament had i not decided to mess around with that iceberg cat while it was down

ive got more that ive made but nothing im particularly proud of yet. the first build of this guy was a middleweight fbs, i was shooting for lightweight the whole time though i was just playing with the weight. this is what i got on my second shot. better body type and more conventional on the first build but i never got to test run it because my game often crashes during test runs/paint jobs and i never see it coming or remember to save (i see the fruition of maybe 50% of my builds)

ive gotta find a better way to screengrab because i can only do one at a time with prntscrn+paint. how did i manage before my mac idk

fun little disaster though. if i make the weapon a button instead of a switch it makes him driveable and less flip out prone

hello everyone
-------------------------------
who love to party

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: im toast
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 05:33:04 PM »
you don't need more than 4 ant batteries for this, really.

1 ant battery = 1 spin motor, you can add more if you want more battery life

so you can use the weight for cooler stuff. maybe add 2 more panels and 2 more teeth if you can

although if I were you i would just make the chassis flatter, use a TWM3R2 and not need shell panels to lower your weapons.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »
Welcome back to building again!

I'd use a DSL bar instead of a disc to mount the weapons, also get more of them. 2 DS teeth is nothing in the LW class.

Hope you stop by ARC as well :)

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 05:42:39 PM »
thanks i was hoping someone would do the math for me because i dont know all that jazz. and that would last me all three minutes right

i like the ideas but i was kinda stoked on the idea of a little fbs at the time since i never did that
as inefficient as it sounds id go all shelled outside if i could pul it off and stay in weightclass
im dumb : p

edit oh wow thanks yall and yeah ill try to stop by again there i heard theres a tournament that just started and playzooki sent me one of my old bot pictures too
who love to party

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 06:44:59 PM »
pretty sure you can have an all shell shell spinner (that's how we call them here) and stay lw.

need less motor weight, less wheel weight, less armor and minimum batteries i believe.

and yes 4 ant batteries is enough, actually an ant battery has exactly the same battery life than the battlepacks for some derp reason.

3 is the minimum for 3 spin motors, it will work but not for 3 full minutes...

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 11:37:10 PM »
file this under surprisingly effective. built this just because ive always liked the look of 4wd bots, this stupid little drill does a solid job of grinding away those pesky external doo dads everyone likes to put outside of their robots. took off the boxer's whole left arm in one shot right from the bell. who knew

who love to party

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 11:38:33 PM »
definitely going to have to incorporate some of those tricks. thanks man!
who love to party

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 01:45:35 AM »
hi toast, im fotepx

I recommend picking up NAR AI if you want a more recent definition of DSL building. It's like the Starcore of DSL. Your bots show quite a bit of potential - the only advice I can give is to not use battlepacks and use ants. Everything else, you learn from experience, practice and advice from better users than me.

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 09:13:57 PM »
ive been making a bunch of ants and beetleweights recently. ive got an affinity for beetles since i remember being a part of the argument over what the proper weight limit should be for the class. i'm not one hundred percent sure but i remember building some of the first ones (blue streak being one of my favorites of all time, and one of my most successful builds). maybe it was the first one? i dunno. that'd be cool though. maybe im having delusions of grandeur. i definitely remember arguing for 175 though, and i'm glad that stuck. it's one of my favorite types of build, stock or dsl.
now what i've got here is a nifty little guy i ended up with while trying to make a final destiny type beetleweight spinner, but for some reason... and i hope someone could explain why... the robot will spin violently out of control without even turning the weapon on or driving. it hits the ground and just explodes. is it a skirt thing? i really wanted this to work! any ideas?

i'd post some more but again screen captures are annoying as sh** for me to get

lastly, does anyone know how to get rid of the silvery background for the build screen in dsl? i want it to go back to black (or at least a solid color, like the preview picture) because it allows me to delete the background for the robot in paint and create pictures with multiple robots on display

much love yall
who love to party

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 09:30:39 PM »
Go to UI->botlab, and "batsuit.tga" dictates the background.

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 12:07:24 AM »
killer my man :)

so i just need to throw in an all black .tga then? does it have to be a specific size so as to not crash the game like some decals do?
who love to party

Offline Scrap Daddy

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 12:25:15 AM »
Here's an old thread where I asked the same question. Looks like you just have to open it and change it to black like you said.
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=5999.msg307158#msg307158

Also the "havoking" or what you called exploding is because the chassis is just too small. If you make a wider, but flatter chassis design it should work much better. Those teeth also kind of suck in DSL. General consensus is beater bars, small double sided teeth(the 5 kg ones), razors, and the sledgehammers are the only worthwhile weapons.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 08:26:58 AM »
Yeah, your chassis is too small and you have a ton of axles, causing the physics engine to freak out. Making a larger chassis would help, and you do have weight for it too.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 08:57:25 AM »
yeah that chassis can be done so it is more flat

unsure if you really need the skirts though, maybe just make a bigger chassis (yes this is a thing)

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »
the skirts are more of an aesthetic thing. really wanted to have a beetleweight bar spinner with full skirt coverage (like i said, was initially inspired by final destiny). since that's obviously not going to happen though i may as well start from the drawing board with this one. same reason for the teeth as well-- just wanted to have something that looked good while still being an extra weapon on the bar to protect it. i initially had beater bars on there but i didn't like how it looked

i think a good addition to the game would be some more skirt sizes, especially something in the shape of the angled fbs panels, something to allow more skirted robot shapes

here's an antweight drum bot i made. need to shave off a few points of weight though. hes also got a little bit of a battery life problem but it's not too bad. he can beat the ai ants

who love to party

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »
oh and thanks again for the batsuit tip. much apprec
who love to party

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 11:50:44 AM »
killer my man :)

so i just need to throw in an all black .tga then? does it have to be a specific size so as to not crash the game like some decals do?
Keep the dimensions thw same as the original just to be safe.  Also, don't use black, use a color that's unlikely to appear on your robot, like the grey of he stock background.  If you use blaxk,you'll end up cropping part of your robot when you try to get rid of the background

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 12:32:43 AM »
could someone give me some ideas? every time i have an idea i get to the chassis build screen and just blank. something different. no heavyweights. a challenge is alright.

built a lightweight shell spinner that was lost when one of my handful of non working logos crashed it before i remembered to save. made a middleweight flipper that's pretty effective but in very unhappy with how it looks aesthetically. aesthetics are very, very important to me. made a few beetles that need some work too. ill post something as soon as im happy with it

my next build is going to be a beetle hammer i think but from there im taking suggestions

also whats the best drive as far as speed is concerned per weight class and whats the best spinner motor and flipper per weight class. ranked if possible. i find i have a lot of trouble getting the right motors for the job and it stops me in my tracks a lot because it makes it very hard to build my chassis accordingly

thanks for any help and suggestions i get in advance
who love to party

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 01:51:23 AM »
build some hybrids

in case this wasn't a thing back then... https://wiki.gametechmods.com/index.php?title=Hybrid

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 01:55:09 AM »
ooh im glad you mentioned that because the flipper that i built actually is a hybrid in the sense that i have two spinning sawblades up on the wedge. they don't do all that much damage but i think they're kinda nifty and it didn't take up much more that like 30lbs of weight

ill have to post that one now. any other suggestions?
who love to party