Author Topic: Herpaderp's RA2 DSL Showcase  (Read 16266 times)

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • *insert dank memes here*
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Herpaderp's RA2 DSL Showcase
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 11:39:12 PM »
Not bad, Just shrink the chassis, and you're going to need more batteries. Honestly I actually liked that Flipper\Axe combo.

the batteries are enough for the standard 3 minutes and even 5 if i don't constantly spam the weapons, i always focus on the weapons first, armor second before anything else. whats the point if one your bot can't knock out the opponent or doesn't have enough armor to protect itself, at least thats how i see it but i will take that into account when i build malicious intent 3 and will try to make the chassis smaller so thanks for the feedback. 

EDIT: ok so i finished malicious intent 3 and im happy to say that it is both smaller and has more batteries and the best benefit is it is 10 mil titanium now so its almost completely invulnerable here it is next to MI 2 for comparison, i will probably do this now with all bots that are upgrades of one another to show the difference  :bigsmile:
MI 3

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:08:42 AM by Herpaderp64 »
That guy that listens to your opinion about how to improve his bot but half the time doesn't change anything anyway.

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2017, 01:13:59 AM »
just thought i'd get all my whiplash bots into the arena and try to line them up for good shot (its bloody difficult when they all use the same controls and yes i couldn't be arsed to re assign them just for a screenshot so this is the best your going to get, oh and i will update both whiplash 1's picture and spinner from the east's pic soon)

from left to right: whiplash 3, 1, 2

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:08:59 AM by Herpaderp64 »
That guy that listens to your opinion about how to improve his bot but half the time doesn't change anything anyway.

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2017, 09:55:28 PM »
ok so i finally managed to make a robot that i had on the robot wars mod that is a flipper bot, its called flip frenzy and as the name suggests all of the power is in the weapon and i've finally managed to get a flipper bot on dsl that doesn't just flip bots bot it tosses bots into the air.

ok so with flip frenzy 10(call it flip frenzy 10 where as my last one on the robot wars mod was mk 4 the reason is i have another 5 all different flip motors however none gave the flip factor i wanted) i'd already gave up trying at mk 9 until i put second sentinel into the bot designs folder along with all the other heavyweight ra2 bots and found how deadly its flipper was (never really fought second sentinel in a way that it got a chance to ever try to flip me). after i went rooting around both emergency and sentinel in the bot lab i discovered 2 things (of which i know everyone already knows but im new in general to dsl so it was very new to me) one was that emergency used fast snapper burst motors and two sentinel used 2 beta spring loaded motors and at that point i knew i could make a proper flip frenzy

so i built flip frenzy on the basis of second sentinel's design length and width but the similarities end there. flip frenzy has a slope as extreme as i could make it without risking the beta motors not fitting in, the flippers are made out of titanium with support on the underside for added looks, the armor is 5mm steel and the batteries were the hardest part as these beta motors take a lot of power each time they are used so its a bit like a real life flipper as the battle draws on the flips become weaker with each push of the button around the 2 minute mark, finally it didn't get any points for the flips so to compensate i put a few beater bars on the titanium plates so when it flips the bars hit the underside of the opponent causing damage and scoring points. man im glad this is over i feel like i've just wrote an essay  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:09:24 AM by Herpaderp64 »

Offline NeonCalypso

• PMD Comics are my fetish
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Objective: Survive
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2017, 10:33:02 PM »
Looks underweight, maybe build a stronger, sturdier or maybe wider flipper, also import skin and paint.net is your friend.
Edit: Please crop your images, it took me the entire minute to load.
>not letting me ai my own robot

unironically kill yourself
Stuff I won at

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2017, 11:24:02 PM »
Looks underweight, maybe build a stronger, sturdier or maybe wider flipper, also import skin and paint.net is your friend.
Edit: Please crop your images, it took me the entire minute to load.

i just noticed that and i swear on my own life that that bot was 798.3 kg's when i finished building it and i haven't changed it since. oh and all current and future images are spoiler'd now so you should be able to load the page just fine

EDIT: ok now its 799.1 wtf is going on  :confused:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:10:55 AM by Herpaderp64 »

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Brute
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2017, 12:52:25 AM »
Sorry i haven't posted any bots for a while i stopped playing ra2 for a while since i didn't really have any idea's left as i think i wore myself out lol but i am back with a new bot: Brute

now brute is a special robot because it is a.....WALKER DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN  :laughing.

no brute is not a gimmic walker i thought it would be at first but it is far from terrible in fact its probably the best walker i've ever built on any ra game whether that be the stock or the rw mod or god forbid ra3. would you rather me put the statistics down like down below or in sentences?

Brute
Armor: 10mm aluminum
weapon: VDMA front-hinge flipping ramp and VDMA R/P gothic axe
drive: TWM3R (drive) X6
power: 4 odyssey tall batteries
cost: 30 minutes of my life ( :laughing
notes: can be slow to self right and tends to do a terrorhertz whenever firing the axe in rapid succession
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:10:16 AM by Herpaderp64 »

Offline NeonCalypso

• PMD Comics are my fetish
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Objective: Survive
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2017, 01:45:43 AM »
A walker? I've never seen one of those before, just downgrade the armorfor more weaponry. Props for using a walker system.
>not letting me ai my own robot

unironically kill yourself
Stuff I won at

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2017, 01:55:26 AM »
i would if i could even fit anymore weapons in lol, its so condensed inside the chassis i was hoping to add a horizontal spinner at the back but it can't fit (well it could if i wasn't fussed about it needing to be irl) also do walkers get an extra weight limit in dsl? or are walkers almost non existent?  :mrgreen:

EDIT: im suprised it even works tbh on ra3 i recreated anarchy but it had no grip, on ra2 rw mod i again recreated anarchy and again it had no grip but apparently in dsl brute has grip which is why i think its actually working right well that and it weighs over 1300 whatever the weight measurement is in ra
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:24:31 AM by Herpaderp64 »

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2017, 05:23:42 AM »
Most tournaments will not class that as a walker, as it's just a wheeled bit with extenders instead. True walkers would tend to use burst motors.
What you have there is more of a shuffler. Sometimes a tournament would give bonus for it but it won't be as much as you've used unfortunately.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2017, 07:10:55 AM »
yes, i already knew this but you try to make a proper walker that works properly...out of 10 walking/shuffling machines i've built on all the ra games this is the only one that i've ever had any success with, blame the devs of ra2 for not considering putting proper walking components in.

A good example being anarchy from series 6 of robot wars i wanted to make a walker like that but its basically impossible due to the fact there is no component that will keep a "leg" facing downwards while having a flywheel rotating the leg round to move it forwards, i tried making another bot earlier called rhino that was going to be like brute but a proper walker but just like all my other attempts i could not for the life of me get it to work, if you know any way of making an anarchy style walker i'd really like to know ho tf to do it.

oh and not getting a good enough weight bonus for this is hardly fair as any kind of bot that doesn't use wheels in ra2 suffers from post traumatic grip disorder as in it slides all over the place and barely has any grip and im pretty sure the only reason i can push people around with it is because my wedge takes their front wheels off the floor.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:11:32 AM by Herpaderp64 »

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2017, 09:37:51 AM »
Very nice shuffle, I recommend just downsizing everything as you wouldn't have enough weight advantage as a shuffler if provided. But nice idea and a good execution with Anarc- I mean Brute  ;)
Things I did & done

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2017, 10:24:11 AM »
yes, i already knew this but you try to make a proper walker that works properly...out of 10 walking/shuffling machines i've built on all the ra games this is the only one that i've ever had any success with, blame the devs of ra2 for not considering putting proper walking components in. A good example being anarchy from series 6 of robot wars i wanted to make a walker like that but its basically impossible due to the fact there is no component that will keep a "leg" facing downwards while having a flywheel rotating the leg round to move it forwards, i tried making another bot earlier called rhino that was going to be like brute but a proper walker but just like all my other attempts i could not for the life of me get it to work, if you know any way of making an anarchy style walker i'd really like to know ho tf to do it. oh and not getting a good enough weight bonus for this is hardly fair as any kind of bot that doesn't use wheels in ra2 suffers from post traumatic grip disorder as in it slides all over the place and barely has any grip and im pretty sure the only reason i can push people around with it is because my wedge takes their front wheels off the floor.

Alright. First things first, please capitalise, punctuate and organise your posts because this was pretty hard to read.

Secondly, there really isn't anything that can be done to replicate a Anarchy system, because if i remember correctly the leg is attached at the top to a spinning disc on a axle, and is also connected with another axle to a middle wheel which is larger. This level of interconnecting is totally impossible within RA2.

Thirdly, the problem with allowing shuffler weight bonuses is that people would make sh**ty shuffler designs that basically just do what you do with as little weight as possible, allowing the rest of the weight to be spent on adding even more weapons. Sure, they lose ground clearance and pushing power but the ability to add more weapons is a very powerful thing, something that can win a match.

Basically, shufflers don't really work too well unless you just do a non-wheel part replacement for wheels, and then its up to the host if they allow that or not and if you get a weight bonus or not. Lots of variables that vary from host to host.

Just switch to regular wheels, honestly.

As for your robot:

Firstly, this robot is actually pretty good for a new guy. Well done, you've learnt well. A couple of things, however: That flipper would look better if it had wedge corners (the triangular things that go on armor plates). Have a look and see if there are any more efficient armor choices. Use different motors, because your current drive motors may not be enough: I'd recommend some NPCs or even NPC fasts. Switch to regular wheels: Hypno wheels are a good bet iirc.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline FightingBotInformal

• wait, i'm still here?
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -12
  • how tf did i even remember my password lol
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: meet me at RA2 central ig
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »
Stop putting your bot pics in spoiler tags please. Also p cool bot for a newbie, agreed with Ava.
my weeb headass with my anime avatar is gone

hmu on discord for anime or music recommendations or to talk ab some sports sh** idk

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2017, 08:12:16 PM »
Stop putting your bot pics in spoiler tags please. Also p cool bot for a newbie, agreed with Ava.

no i won't because if i do it will take 10 years for the page to load for some people which is why i put the images in spoiler tags in the first place

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2017, 08:17:21 PM »

no i won't because if i do it will take 10 years for the page to load for some people which is why i put the images in spoiler tags in the first place

Is that even true? And it's a small price to pay if not because dear god it's annoying to click the spoilers.

And again, please type properly. I know it's the internet and not school but seriously just type properly. Capitalisation, punctuation etc. go a long way.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2017, 08:18:31 PM »

It's not 1999 anymore man. Don't bother putting your images in spoiler. Instead, resize them to be smaller (700x700 or less).

If you REALLY must put them in spoilers (don't), put them all in a single spoiler rather than 1 spoiler per image.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline FightingBotInformal

• wait, i'm still here?
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -12
  • how tf did i even remember my password lol
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: meet me at RA2 central ig
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »

Well then, downsize your images using this: http://resizeimage.net/
Incredibly useful for me.
As Badger said, downsize your pics to a maximum of 700x700.
my weeb headass with my anime avatar is gone

hmu on discord for anime or music recommendations or to talk ab some sports sh** idk

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2017, 09:16:43 PM »

Well then, downsize your images using this: http://resizeimage.net/
Incredibly useful for me.
As Badger said, downsize your pics to a maximum of 700x700.
or just crop them properly
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2017, 09:40:59 PM »
I thought the forum already downsized the images anyway its just neon said that he was having trouble loading them in.

Very nice shuffle, I recommend just downsizing everything as you wouldn't have enough weight advantage as a shuffler if provided. But nice idea and a good execution with Anarc- I mean Brute  ;)

The main difference is that tornado can't park inside brute  :laughing
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:16:49 AM by Herpaderp64 »

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Updated Brute
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2017, 01:46:48 AM »
Ok so Brute has now been updated

Armor: 5mm steel
Power: 3 Tall odyssey batteries
Drive: unchanged
Weapons: Axe unchanged wedge is now much wider and lower to the floor
Notes: It now has side skirts which are almost impossible for other bots to get under, it also now has a sort of axe rest which stops it (to a certain extent) from jumping up into the air every time it fires its axe

EDIT: should i go through my showcase and get rid of the spoiler tags? i mean the whole point of me not posting them all in one post was so it wouldn't lag the showcase to oblivion.