Author Topic: Herpaderp's RA2 DSL Showcase  (Read 16273 times)

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • *insert dank memes here*
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Herpaderp's RA2 DSL Showcase
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 10:58:19 PM »
ok so i said i wasn't going to post any more bots for another day at least but this i have to, so i heard about extender bots being obviously more or less completely made up of extenders and i thought what better way to test my building skill than to make shw extender bot (well it has a box chassis but you can't exactly delete the chassis so i made sure it wasn't small enough to look utter banter wank but not big enough to be a feasible way of building the bot i was planning) and here is the result: RipCage a super heavy weight horizontal spinner which set the new record for my spinner bots tearing all the parts off t-minus to about 30 seconds, seriously whiplash's destructibility is nothing compared to this the crucial extenders that are needed to hold the important parts are titanium or steel however the "ribs" are aluminium, speaking of aluminium the chassis is 10mm aluminium, the spinning bar weighs almost 200kg's and is very deadly especially to exposed wheels and speaking of wheels i chose the cheese wheels once again due to the fact they have the most hit points out of any wheel in the game and really don't need to be protected so i could put more weight into the looks more than anything else. personally i think its turned out quite good.

^*insert sad violin meme here*^

the batteries were the hardest part of this robot im not even joking
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:12:59 AM by Herpaderp64 »
That guy that listens to your opinion about how to improve his bot but half the time doesn't change anything anyway.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 11:16:15 PM »
well that's different. i'm a fan of it personally

pro tip: there's colored angle extenders at the bottom of the dropdown menu

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 11:33:43 PM »
well that's different. i'm a fan of it personally

pro tip: there's colored angle extenders at the bottom of the dropdown menu

i did not know that so thanks for letting me know, after a bit more testing i've found this bot has kicked the arse of every bot i've fought so far, even whiplash which i entered into that tournament that demon is hosting. im seriously considering switching out whiplash for this have to test it a bit more first and its nice to know someone else likes its look as well ;)

EDIT: RipCage won 2-0 against whiplash so im going to see if ripcage is eligible to replace whiplash and here's proof (remember they were both ai'd i wasn't doing jack sh** lol)
ANOTHER EDIT: actually i've changed my mind, i'll enter ripcage in the next tournament as i've still got things to tweak on it as its more or less brand new lol

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:13:34 AM by Herpaderp64 »
That guy that listens to your opinion about how to improve his bot but half the time doesn't change anything anyway.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 12:12:54 AM »
Damn, all of the bots look damn good! Keep up the good work!

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 12:39:56 AM »
Damn, all of the bots look damn good! Keep up the good work!

the building aspect is what i like the most, can create almost anything in robot arena where as on robot wars arenas of destruction (first robot fighting game i played) you were quite limited so it feels good to create something from complete scratch without things like defined shapes or prebuilt weapons, don't like that axe? make your own, don't like that spinning bar/drum/flywheel? make your own, you know that feeling. its why i went on a madden making recreations on ra3 because i enjoyed building them. so thanks for liking the bots and i got a load of them that i still haven't put up here yet so they are not exactly going to be in order

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 12:49:12 AM »
just thought i'd share this joke bot (fond memories)

so i got a bit bored on ra2 one day and...........this was the result

the robot we all reacted to with a burst of laughter(or just me).......My First Bot: it has a pickaxe and is made out of wood............what? were you expecting a bit more info?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:14:42 AM by Herpaderp64 »

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 12:58:58 AM »
I concur with the others, you seem to be learning pretty quickly. Axi-dent looks good, the extender work on Ripcage is a bit messy but it's a good concept. And I like that My First Bot replica.
My DSL Showcase

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 01:07:06 AM »
I concur with the others, you seem to be learning pretty quickly. Axi-dent looks good, the extender work on Ripcage is a bit messy but it's a good concept. And I like that My First Bot replica.

as i said, ripcage is new and still needs a few tweaks to look better
EDIT:updated version of ripcage with no obvious intersecting extenders

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:15:07 AM by Herpaderp64 »

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 09:18:23 AM »
Whiplash 2, as i said earlier not in order

so Whiplash 2 i recently built after building whiplash 3 (i don't build in order sometimes) and after creating the new weapon support extender frame whiplash 2 is the result of shrinking the dsl bars to 37.5 x 200 x4 and using my new way of supporting the vertical spinner weaponry. other than those 2 changes its more or less the same as whiplash 1 yet still the first is more stable and again more durable.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:16:22 AM by Herpaderp64 »

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2017, 11:22:50 PM »
so this next bit im about to show, i may enter it into the  [DSL IRL - All Weightclasses] ADOT IRL Tournament as a heavyweight signup as it seems to do reasonably well against most bots i put it against and im pretty sure there are no parts intersecting and that that everything on the bot is supported in some way

this is canine(name due to the fact it uses the canine 6 chew blades), it has 10mm aluminium armor and is quite fast for a 2 wheeled bot and as with all my recent bots it has extenders protecting the wheels, it has 2 steel wedges at the front for lifting opponents off the floor and straight into the chew blades and  its weapon is powered by a perm 132 motor so it has a lot of power behind those blades. last of all it has a srimech above the chew blades for self righting

(Updated Images)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:16:48 AM by Herpaderp64 »

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2017, 11:29:42 PM »
Chewblades arent really the best.
Try to use minivores.

TGM 2017. (Clap, clap, clap)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:01:57 AM by TGM »

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2017, 12:17:50 AM »
Chewblades arent really the best.
Try to use minivores.
Ignore this.

Anyway, the problem with the bot is that the blades are unsupported.  Make it so the blades don't float.
I have several opinions.

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2017, 03:39:51 AM »
imo those extender things on the side make the bot look messy, if you got rid of them you could use the weight on supports for the chewblades. the wheels in the chassis seem protected enough anyways

(Image removed from quote.)

the dsl bars could be joined together. just attach it so the flat parts of the blades are stuck to each other.

the "support" cage around it kinda just looks unfinished, but i'm digging the rib-cagey feel

the wheels idk if they're a good choice but generally if you're needing wheels that big either Motorcycle wheels or Overkill wheels will do the job, but that might just be me not liking the Ford wheels
beep beep

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2017, 11:54:28 AM »
imo those extender things on the side make the bot look messy, if you got rid of them you could use the weight on supports for the chewblades. the wheels in the chassis seem protected enough anyways

the dsl bars could be joined together. just attach it so the flat parts of the blades are stuck to each other.

the "support" cage around it kinda just looks unfinished, but i'm digging the rib-cagey feel

the wheels idk if they're a good choice but generally if you're needing wheels that big either Motorcycle wheels or Overkill wheels will do the job, but that might just be me not liking the Ford wheels

as i said in an earlier post the dsl bars being together unless they were placed on the inside didn't look right to me so i kept them apart, it looks better now though as it uses small drums to hold the dsl bars together

the motorcycle wheels were too small in width so when whiplash turned it would immediately overbalance itself and the overkill wheels were just too big of a target with less hp so the fords may look a bit meh but they were the best choice between stability and size i think

and the support cage was added after as it originally wasn't dsl, so didn't have much weight limit to use however i got the idea to make the support kind of like a rib cage after making RipCage

Offline jdg37

• Heavyweight
  • I got kids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
A dsl bar setup I've found works and looks good (if you have cf patch installed) is a hex plate attached to the motor, then run colored al extenders off in each direction, then place the dsl bars on each side of the hex. Basicslly making a "sandwich" bar. That way damage to the primary bar doesn't take out both, plus it's more colorful and allows you to attach beaters or other weapons to the bars as well.

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2017, 12:37:10 PM »
A dsl bar setup I've found works and looks good (if you have cf patch installed) is a hex plate attached to the motor, then run colored al extenders off in each direction, then place the dsl bars on each side of the hex. Basicslly making a "sandwich" bar. That way damage to the primary bar doesn't take out both, plus it's more colorful and allows you to attach beaters or other weapons to the bars as well.

will try something like that when i get around to building whiplash version 4, so thanks for the suggestion

now on to my first serious middleweight bot SFTE (spinner from the east) so i thought today what if sftw was good? and this was the result, call it its evil dsl clone sfte has 10mm(5mm im an idiot) titanium armor and instead of a rather weedy little saw blade at the front it has a dsl 37.5x100 bar x2 with a few beaters in the middle for extra damage on a  perm 80 motor, and it is invertible and the wheels are protected by titanium side panels. it does seem a bit unstable when moving forward at full speed when the weapon is spinning fully although im not suprised considering it totals half of the bots weight.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:19:30 AM by Herpaderp64 »

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2017, 02:47:22 PM »
so this next bit im about to show, i may enter it into the  [DSL IRL - All Weightclasses] ADOT IRL Tournament as a heavyweight signup as it seems to do reasonably well against most bots i put it against and im pretty sure there are no parts intersecting and that that everything on the bot is supported in some way

this is canine(name due to the fact it uses the canine 6 chew blades), it has 10mm aluminium armor and is quite fast for a 2 wheeled bot and as with all my recent bots it has extenders protecting the wheels, it has 2 steel wedges at the front for lifting opponents off the floor and straight into the chew blades and  its weapon is powered by a perm 132 motor so it has a lot of power behind those blades. last of all it has a srimech above the chew blades for self righting

This is looking good, I would also recommend making the extenders more tight to the body, also a shrimech isn't necessary, a good thing for Vertical spinners is to have them hit to floor with the disc and using that force flip back onto their wheels. But looking great otherwise.

will try something like that when i get around to building whiplash version 4, so thanks for the suggestion

now on to my first serious middleweight bot SFTE (spinner from the east) so i thought today what if sftw was good? and this was the result, call it its evil dsl clone sfte has 10mm titanium armor and instead of a rather weedy little saw blade at the front it has a dsl 37.5x100 bar x2 with a few beaters in the middle for extra damage on a  perm 80 motor, and it is invertible and the wheels are protected by titanium side panels. it does seem a bit unstable when moving forward at full speed when the weapon is spinning fully although im not suprised considering it totals half of the bots weight.

The supports for the bar will need to be more... supportive, like adding 2 more to form a isosceles triangle. Also the wheel guards could be attached to the body and not directly to the wheel unless you could change it to the extender discs. And Ti10 seems overkill. Ti5 will do fine or Pl10
Things I did & done

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2017, 02:53:33 PM »
I agree with Hoppin: downgrade the armour to Pl10 and add some more extensive weapon supports. If you want to put the wheelguards directly on the weapons, then do what I've done occasionally and put the smallest size of DSL disc on each wheel.
My DSL Showcase

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2017, 08:01:19 PM »
ok so i checked sfte again and i made a mistake it was actually titanium 5 now its aluminium due to the extender supports anyway this next bot is a very special one as it is the first bot i ever created in ra2 dsl

Malicious intent

the idea of malicious intent started when i was re watching some of the old robot wars series and i thought why has there never been a front hinged flipper/axe bot ? and then i decided to make one and this was the result it has 10mm aluminium armor, 2 60x120 titanium flipper panels powered by 2 VDMA piston motors, the axe is powered by a medium axe motor (used to be another vdma). this time there will be 2 sets of images one of it when i first built it and one of it now with all the modifications i've made with the knowledge i have now.
EDIT: forgot to mention that unlike the first the second also has a titanium wedge at the front for increased ability to get under other bots (more or less like firestorm 5 with the steel blade at the front of the wedge)

Malicious intent 1

Malicious intent 2

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:20:51 AM by Herpaderp64 »

Offline NeonCalypso

• PMD Comics are my fetish
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Objective: Survive
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2017, 09:45:37 PM »
Not bad, Just shrink the chassis, and you're going to need more batteries. Honestly I actually liked that Flipper\Axe combo.
>not letting me ai my own robot

unironically kill yourself
Stuff I won at