Author Topic: GIRTHQUAKE's DSL Showcase  (Read 15828 times)

Offline GIRTHQUAKE

• Antweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards HOW MANY SHRIMP DO YOU HAVE TO EAT BEFORE YOUR SKIN TURNS PINK Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: GIRTHQUAKE#8520
Re: GIRTHQUAKE's DSL Showcase
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2019, 12:43:19 PM »
retread has that early 2000s aesthetic that i really love

i just hope the top and bottom discs arent spinning with the weapon bc if they are its unrealistic

Nope, I just used them as premade circle armor plates, only the ring spins.

I still think it looks like a derby tire lol, but thank you. It does remind me of early robots, season battlebotsish. Not asking if you should, but if you could.

Offline Redalert

• The inventor of Wandering Spinners and invincirammers
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -48
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
  • Discord: RedStorm
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2019, 01:27:03 PM »
Those bots amaze me. Keep it up.

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2019, 02:40:38 PM »
Oh, that's a good point, actually, I hadn't considered that larger teeth might clip through the wheels. I've had to use small Typhoons before because of that. Hopefully you can figure something out.

Most IRL tournaments accept BFE'd robots these days. It's especially allowed with ring spinners because, as you've discovered, it's the only way you can build them without the disc being out-of-centre or the chassis being impractically tall. BFE is only acceptable in IRL, though - in any other meta you'll be kicked straight out for it.
My DSL Showcase

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2019, 04:57:48 PM »
Favorite ones are definitely Bogo and Boop and Scoot. Others are ok
Nooseance is more of a joke bot, so no real opinions/ advice here
Ringout is pretty tall, and good Ring spinnersare short for more weight to other things, also it just look unappealing
Retread is pretty much the same to Retread for me

I called it retread because it was the same old sh** on a wore out Idea

Those bots all look great. I like the first one's tail, as well as the use of Slap Happy wheel on it. For Bogo, cool idea, but yeah, 8 small typhoons are weaponspammy as F1 said. Also, just a note, but maybe try to add a hexplate on the undercutter, so it will deal more damage as the whole disc doesn't slow down from large contact with the floor while spinning.

As for that hammer and poker bot, looks definitely better than it's predecessor. As for the ringspinners, I think most builders here do chassisbot ring spinner rather than extenderbot ones. It will allow you to do a good skin on it, as well as make it flatter
Tbh I think he could place a ball caster on the motor, then the disc with component freedom to fix that undercutter issue

The undercutter doesnt touch the ground, it's higher than the bottom of the wedge, but I also added little nubs on the top and bottom (the brown nipples) to keep the blades off the ground if the wedge gets ripped off, or if it gets flipped.

Your robots are good. Why not put them on the Bot Exchange so everyone can play around with them?

I didn't think I should, it seemed like there weren't a lot of pages on BE for how old the forum is and assumed I shouldn't unless asked to. I wouldn't want to spam it. Is there a particular bot or bots you would want me to upload? I'm more than willing to send anyone any of my bots if they'd want one.

Bogo is a great idea, although eight small Typhoons is verging on weapon spam. Try switching to two large Typhoons per disc, it should be just as damaging and durable and will give you slightly more reach.

For Boop & Scoot V2, try switching to only a single hammer head (you only really need one). That ought to save you plenty of weight for more armour.

I'm gonna be "that guy" here: if you learn how to do BFE (bot file editing), you can move components around after they've been placed, which can help with making robots more compact and optimising their extender setups (as you don't need as many attachment points for bolting things onto). BFE works wonders for ring spinners: instead of making the bodywork taller so that the ring is exactly in the middle, you can just make the bodywork as flat as possible and then BFE the ring into the middle. I don't think I've seen a pixel-chassis ring spinner before, though, so kudos for attempting that, even if it didn't quite work.

I started playing with BFE for boop and scoot, wasn't quite getting the hammer where I wanted it without ass eating sh** the floor sending my bot to Uranus. But i'll maybe try a V2 of Retread where i lower the blade with BFE and cut the top of the frame off and make it wider instead. Thank you for the suggestion. Is that kind of modification IRL accepted?

The reason i have 8 small teeth instead of 4 big ones is they hit my wheels, but if i make the disc smaller it doesnt quite look right to me, Ill make the changes and post it to show what im talking about, it just ruins the look/lines of the bot to me personally. I would make the change if a tournament host asked me too though. I think if i do more IRLs, BOGO and Angle Grinder will be my submissions. I like both of them a lot.

Thank you guys a lot for the feedback, I appreciate it.
For BFE, yeah, it's legal like CF as long as you use it to make a bot more like IRL ones. People usually use the replace component, move component, and change chassis height features of it

Offline GIRTHQUAKE

• Antweight
  • Awards HOW MANY SHRIMP DO YOU HAVE TO EAT BEFORE YOUR SKIN TURNS PINK Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2019, 07:22:45 PM »
Oh, that's a good point, actually, I hadn't considered that larger teeth might clip through the wheels. I've had to use small Typhoons before because of that. Hopefully you can figure something out.

Most IRL tournaments accept BFE'd robots these days. It's especially allowed with ring spinners because, as you've discovered, it's the only way you can build them without the disc being out-of-centre or the chassis being impractically tall. BFE is only acceptable in IRL, though - in any other meta you'll be kicked straight out for it.

Here is what it looks like with the large typhoons, and I hate it so much lol

2teeth.jpg

So I've done a few updates on some of my bots trying to take suggestions in to consideration.

Angle Grinder

Added wedgelets to help it get under things. I took off the typhoon teeth because the world has enough already. Added two ripping teeth because they seemed to be adequate, but then I put on two Nightmare teeth because I had a bot or two end up flat on my disc and it did nothing. The teeth don't do much, but they do throw robots off the disc.

Angle Grinder U.jpg

Chicken Biscuit JR

Again, added wedglets. Pretty much did this to every bot. I had to get bigger wheels, because anything smaller than these and Biscuits get stuck on it's side. With these wide wheels he's always got traction. Other smaller changes for weight reduction let me get titanium edges on the wedge.

Chicken Biscuit JR U.jpg

Chicken Biscuit

I pulled the wedges back, as was suggested, did some weight reduction, wedgelets of course. Spent my extra weight on cosmetics like the flywheels on the main weapon because I'm responsible.

chicken biscuit U.jpg

If there's any more suggestions I'm as always open to it. I would like genuinely like to enter more tournaments and bring something at least slightly competitive.

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2019, 09:32:23 PM »
Noosence requires discs as wheels. RA2's physics are horrible, so the game just applies forward motion to robots when tires touch a surface.

I oddly like the astetics of the oversized ring spinners. It would be a good look for a Super Heaveyweight.

Offline GIRTHQUAKE

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2019, 06:38:02 PM »
I have never made a flipper before. Like, even before GTM when I was just messing around, I was always afraid to for some reason, like it was going to be this crazy complicated thing.

Anyways, another generic chassis, just trying to keep weight down so I could make the entire plow out of steel. I opted for a more steep wedge, and put the cat ear looking things on top so it would function more like a plow than a regular wedge. The idea being to scoop up the other robot and push it closer to the ring out areas instead of just throwing them over and over hoping for the best. It works better than I expected it to. The flips aren't MASSIVE, but it's more about short controlled bursts than giant send your ass back to your planet flips, and the plow design does a decent job catching bots. Most bots without 4 wheel drive and clearance get caught, and 4 wheel bots with clearance get caught if they aren't head on.

I'm not an experienced builder, and I haven't really tested my bots against other player made bots, just AI, stock bots. So take my descriptions of how well its working with a grain of salt, and be free to tell me how stupid I'm being right now lol.

Flickin' Boogs

flickin boogs.jpg

Offline GIRTHQUAKE

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2019, 08:48:56 PM »
I wanted to make a flipper with a "U" shaped flipper. It's objectively bad at fighting but it was fun to build and I thought it looked neat. It looked like what Hollywood in the 90's thought space shuttles would look like in the future. I named it Cosmonaut. After I saw it's actual combat performance I realized it was just an attention seeking bot with odd angle and no use. So I changed the name to "CosmoTHOT". Then I added "LTSR" (Losing the space race) for good measure because I'm an idiot. Anyways: My second attempt at a flipper. I currently have no intention of refining it, because I don't think I could ever have enough weight to salvage it and keep the theme.

CosmoTHOT LTSR.jpg

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2019, 10:30:17 PM »
I wanted to make a flipper with a "U" shaped flipper. It's objectively bad at fighting but it was fun to build and I thought it looked neat. It looked like what Hollywood in the 90's thought space shuttles would look like in the future. I named it Cosmonaut. After I saw it's actual combat performance I realized it was just an attention seeking bot with odd angle and no use. So I changed the name to "CosmoTHOT". Then I added "LTSR" (Losing the space race) for good measure because I'm an idiot. Anyways: My second attempt at a flipper. I currently have no intention of refining it, because I don't think I could ever have enough weight to salvage it and keep the theme.

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

Looks unique. It's one of the most unique shapes you made. Just a  suggestion if you want to enter this into a tournament, but some tourneys ban three burst flippers

Also for the other flipper above, I like how clean and compact it is, the 2WD, and the shape on the back, as well as the use of angled plate on top of wedge

Offline GIRTHQUAKE

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2019, 11:21:41 PM »
I definitely wont be entering it, it fights like trash, it was just a fun build. I would enter Boogs though. I thought it would be unstable since it's so short, but I guess all the steel weight in the front keeps its head down. It works pretty well.

Offline GIRTHQUAKE

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2019, 03:34:55 AM »
Turned in to a Amphibian/Reptile theme build. Was going to call it Reptard. Not sure why I didn't.  the tail is on a hinge, but I failed to capture that in any angle. Most of the robot is only 1 extender + 2 armor plates thick, which allowed me to make the entire wedge, on all 3 sides out of steel.

Slamphibian.jpg

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2019, 03:44:40 AM »
That's pretty cool and unique. I especially like the spinner eyes

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Interior crocodile alligator 🤔
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2019, 04:05:22 PM »
That is ****ing beautiful dude. I love it.
Achievements and tournament placings

Offline GIRTHQUAKE

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2019, 08:21:29 PM »

Thanks guys, I like how it turned out. The weapons seem a bit under powered compared to BOGO who essentially has the same weapons. Could it be because I have small flywheels under the big ones to stop them from colliding with the wedge? Or do you guys think it's just the angle?

Offline KidDelta

• Treasure Sniper
  • Heavyweight
  • "To Comfort the Disturbed, and Disturb the Comfort
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: X Æ A-12#8572
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2019, 09:02:28 PM »

Thanks guys, I like how it turned out. The weapons seem a bit under powered compared to BOGO who essentially has the same weapons. Could it be because I have small flywheels under the big ones to stop them from colliding with the wedge? Or do you guys think it's just the angle?
Maybe the angle or the height from the Wedge to the Discs, or how the discs/teeth spin
I shouldn't have come here

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2019, 06:05:36 AM »
Just a heads up, but if you want to enter this into a tourney, I recommend reducing the typhoons to four or six smalls. For the six smalls setup, I think you can put hexplate on the disc, and attach three small typhoons to it

Offline botbuster

• Razer
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: -19
  • welcome back to robot wars
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2019, 11:45:37 AM »
That's cool, it reminds me of THE UNIT.
RA2 Awards Most Enthusiastic 2023
Tournament Records and Rewards

Offline GIRTHQUAKE

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2019, 09:29:55 PM »
Just a heads up, but if you want to enter this into a tourney, I recommend reducing the typhoons to four or six smalls. For the six smalls setup, I think you can put hexplate on the disc, and attach three small typhoons to it

I kind of figured that after BOGO, so I have this alt version. Putting the larger teeth on the outside of the eyeball ruin it, but having them on the smaller disc under the top one gives me the clearance I need.

4 teeth.jpg

Offline GIRTHQUAKE

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2019, 10:43:31 PM »
I wanted to build a bot with a **** you disc, that was relatively tall. It was originally supposed to be kind of Deep 6 style, but I couldn't get the angles right. I ended up with this monstrosity. But hey, it doesn't tip over at least. It felt different than my other bots while I was making it, but the end result seems to be fairly similar, just less practical. I might try to build this again with a normal weapon mount point, I don't know why I stuck to keeping the motor up on top after I moved the rest of the guts down to the bottom. As stupid as it ended up, I actually like it.

ash hole.jpg

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2019, 02:40:12 AM »
Cool. I like the weapon support, as well as the parts on the front and back. The frontal part also somewhat reminds me of Terror Wheel 2