Author Topic: F1Krazy's DSL Showcase  (Read 34680 times)

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
F1Krazy's DSL Showcase
« on: October 04, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
I made an RA3 showcase, so I figured I might as well make a DSL showcase while I'm at it. As with the RA3 showcase, I'll be spreading my existing bots out across various posts rather than spamming them all at once. I also have a pretty neat "factfile" format for displaying them, inspired by Guldenflame's showcase.

I'll start with my Redditbots entry Vertigo, as it's a good indicator of how much I've improved over the last month. The Redditbots version was the first bot I ever made in DSL 2.2, loosely based on a bot I made in the RW Mod, and my inexperience really showed: the chassis was too bulky, it can't hit anything with a skirt or wedge, the wheels are uneven so it pulls slightly in one direction, and it has DSA armor because I was still used to the RW Mod, in which DSA still works, and didn't realize it was useless in DSL until I signed up here :dumb) I consider it a flawed prototype, I regret sending it in as early as I did, and honestly I'm astonished that it got seeded 9th when things like Delta got seeded lower.

Enough about the prototype, here's the current version. More compact body, much, much better armour, and wheels that aren't wonky. Wonder how highly this version would've been seeded.

I also have an invertible version of Vertigo in the works, which can handle wedges and skirts more easily and has an even more compact body since I don't need space for a srimech. It's not ready yet, but I do have something else I want to show off now...

Earlier today, I showed Delta's teaser video to a friend of mine, who knows nothing about combat robots. He agreed it was scary, but said it would be even more scary if it had a second flipper on its back. So I made a double-wedge bot with a flipper on either side, just to see if it was possible. For bonus points, one's a front-hinged flipper and one's a rear-hinged flipper. It's good, but nothing special, and the armour is pathetic. More of a curiosity than anything.

(the inner and outer pics were taken from opposite sides, just to confuse everyone :P )

More bots to show off later! For now, let me know what you think of these ones, and bear in mind I'm still learning.
My DSL Showcase

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
Re: F1Krazy's DSL Showcase
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 08:39:05 PM »
Very good stuff here.

Vertigo 2's srimech motor I believe is made for being outside the chassis.  I'd recommend one of the piston burst motors or the slow mag snapper.
Otherwise, pretty good.

You succeeded at confusing me with double jeopardy. The only possible flaw I could think of is battery life.  Storm piston bursts use much more battery than the other type.  Also I couldn't see very many batteries in there. (Unless it's all stacked)
I have several opinions.

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 04:08:17 AM »
Yeah, as I was adding the finishing touches to it yesterday I was wondering whether I should use a different burst motor. I think the reason I went with that one was because the piston burst motors are too big to fit, and the slow Mag Snapper would make the self-righting even more sluggish and leave it vulnerable. I'll look into it, though. Maybe I can shave off a little weight there.

I'm glad you like Double Jeopardy. Yeah, the ant batteries are stacked, there's 15 of them in there in 3 stacks of 5, which should be just about enough power to last it the three minutes. I don't think you're supposed to stack batteries in DSL but I do it anyway out of force of habit :P Should probably stop doing that. (Just to try and clear things up a little: the rear-hinged flipper is at the front, and the front-hinged flipper is at the rear).

Thanks for the feedback! ^_^
My DSL Showcase

Offline FaceBagman

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:11:39 AM »
Have to stop by and acknowledge that Vertigo has been one of my favorite entries in Redditbots since the first photos of the bots were posted there. :claping

I'm excited to see it in action!
LIFELONG B R O N C O B O Y

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 01:26:57 PM »
Have to stop by and acknowledge that Vertigo has been one of my favorite entries in Redditbots since the first photos of the bots were posted there. :claping

I'm excited to see it in action!
Thanks! For all its flaws, it's still pretty powerful and has a nice look to it, I think.

Anyway, while we're showing off tournament entries, might as well show off my GTM Robot Wars entry, Deathstalker!

Originally, the axe was positioned near-vertically like a scorpion's stinger, and it had Tazbot wedges on the front that kinda looked like claws, so the name was much more fitting. I removed the wedges because they got in the way of the axe, and repositioned the axe so it would always land on it and be able to self-right when flipped over. The Vladiator flipper at the back acts as a static wedge for stability purposes: without it, the thing keeps toppling over. As for the skin, that was made by Rob Collins (who, incidentally, is my opponent in Round 1 of Redditbots! Small world, huh?)

I also entered Deathstalker into Guldenflame's Wild Card Rally, with the axe mounted in a slightly different position because it kept catching on the arena wall, and also threw together an alternate flipper configuration that's actually not very good. Idk, I guess I just like alternate configs :P

My DSL Showcase

Offline Probably Rob

• The Forgotten Obscure Orgasmic Mime
  • Rep: 10
  • You might want your lips around my silent chorus
    • RobotMPire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 01:32:55 PM »
(who, incidentally, is my opponent in Round 1 of Redditbots! Small world, huh?)

AND live in the same area!

That reminds me, actually. Thanks to 090901's suggestion, I made a texture for that back wedge if you want it, too?

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 01:33:48 PM »
(who, incidentally, is my opponent in Round 1 of Redditbots! Small world, huh?)

AND live in the same area!

That reminds me, actually. Thanks to 090901's suggestion, I made a texture for that back wedge if you want it, too?
And that too! Very small world  :eek:

And yeah, that'd be pretty cool, actually. Thanks :D
My DSL Showcase

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »
Double post, eep. Maybe I'm posting these too quickly.

Anyway, here's Discord, an upgraded version of a HS I built in the RW Mod. This one's a lot less fragile and unstable than the original. I'm thinking of entering it into Sword of Glory, but if I do then I'm definitely skinning it, because at the moment it's a boring grey box with a disc on the front. Functional and effective, but boring.

My DSL Showcase

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 04:07:24 PM »
I quite prefer the lifter version of deathstalker.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 07:18:33 AM »
How does the lifter Deathstalker do without that back wedge? I imagine looks-wise it'd make it really compact and cool looking.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 09:56:17 AM »
I quite prefer the lifter version of deathstalker.
How does the lifter Deathstalker do without that back wedge? I imagine looks-wise it'd make it really compact and cool looking.

Glad you guys like the look of Deathstalker's lifter config. I actually did try it without the back wedge once, and it worked pretty well - I still don't think it could self-right, but I could try fixing that by raising the end position of the flipper motor. However, I panicked that if I removed the wedge, and used the extra weight for changes and improvements, it'd end up going from "alternate weapon choice" to "completely different robot". I didn't know where Guldenflame was drawing the line on that, or even if there was one, so I figured I'd play it safe and keep the wedge. In hindsight, I probably should've asked him, or just entered them as separate robots :P I think after Wild Card Rally I'll turn the lifter config into a separate bot, take the wedge off, and try experimenting with ways to make the weapon more effective.

I'm working on something pretty cool for Sword of Glory atm, I'll share it later today. Here's a taster though...

(...obviously that's not the robot. That's Cranky Spanky after my robot was through with it.)
My DSL Showcase

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 12:10:20 PM »
As for Discord, the bot could use some supports on the bottom of the disc if you're going for an irl look.
You could probably get rid of one of the batteries for weight.
I have several opinions.

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 12:30:56 PM »
As for Discord, the bot could use some supports on the bottom of the disc if you're going for an irl look.
You could probably get rid of one of the batteries for weight.
I did want to add matching supports underneath as well, but because the disc is so low to the ground, there isn't enough room for them:

EDIT: I checked and I can't move the disc motor higher up because a) the drive chain would end up poking out of the top of the chassis, which isn't exactly IRL either, and b) it might then hinder the robot's invertibility. So I think I'll just have to leave it as is for now, and figure something out later.
My DSL Showcase

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 12:34:45 PM »
Make the botom support to surround the 1/2 of the disc.. just to keep the disc a bit in the air..

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 12:45:01 PM »
Axle load the perm axle off with the disc attached using a copal and add the extender.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 02:25:45 PM »
or use RA2CF cause lelele IRL is a real metagame lelele
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 02:54:44 PM »
Axle load the perm axle off with the disc attached using a copal and add the extender.

or use RA2CF cause lelele IRL is a real metagame lelele
I tried axle loading and the wheels glitched off, but not the disc. Maybe I'm just being impatient, idk. I'll try it again later, and if it still doesn't work then I'll look into using RA2CF. Thanks for the tips ^_^

Anyway, time to unveil the bot I've been working on for most of today. Say hello to Dentophobia:

The titanium half-sheet poking out from the underside is partially so I know which way it's facing, so I can steer it during testing, and partially to strike the floor if it Mauler-dances onto its side, so it doesn't get stuck there. It looks good, and it performs well, even when it's Mauler-dancing for most of the match:

My DSL Showcase

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 04:26:11 PM »
IRL FBS zzz

At least it looks kinda cool with how you've done the teeth.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline F1Krazy

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 05:51:37 AM »
Based on feedback from this topic, and my own ideas, I've given Double Jeopardy an overhaul:

• Moved the skirt hinges back and replaced the wedges with steel wedgelets
  • Unstacked the ant batteries
  • Switched from medium to large Colsons and raised the drive motors to compensate
  • Brand-new custom skin that looks much nicer

New weight: 798.4kg.

My DSL Showcase

Offline FaceBagman

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 09:26:19 AM »
Really creative flipper design! Obviously with the additional flippers on the back, it surely sacrifices durability. But it's a very awesome concept.  :thumbup
LIFELONG B R O N C O B O Y