Author Topic: eFFe's Showcase  (Read 1881 times)

Offline eFFeeMMe

• Rep: 1
  • Zombie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
eFFe's Showcase
« on: August 29, 2006, 10:05:03 AM »
Hi people! I'll start my showcase with my first two DSL bots: Spikey Jay (So... Retarded...) and Gay Streaker, the DSL version of Straight Shooter!

Gay Streaker runs on one battlepack and 2 ant batteries, which are enough to fully power the 4... 4... Something-Motors. It uses wide ant wheels to get a semi-decent grip and has four alluminium skirts to protect its chassis in critical points. As its stock version it doesn't deal much damage with the first strong hit, but by hammering the opponent with its sides. Each hit also morally devastates the opponent with gay power. :mrgreen:

Spikey is a slow Vertical Spinner with a medium Snowplow and two stacked Disc Plates protecting its front. It used to have a Perm powering its spinner but that made it too unstable. I'm going to rebuild it with a chassis that has a bigger base, and try to use a Perm again. Maybe I'll dump the life-saving snowplow for some effective wedge.

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
eFFe's Showcase
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 03:46:41 PM »
A LW Perm-powered vertical spinner would be cool.  You should definitely do that.

Congrats on being the first person to showcase a DSL 2.0 bot that's not a spinner!  Nice design there, but I wonder if it would be more effective with different weapons such as hammers.  It would also be really nice if you could somehow make it invertible.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline Jalor

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
eFFe's Showcase
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 07:31:51 PM »
Oh wow, a rammer!

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
-Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Offline eFFeeMMe

• Zombie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
eFFe's Showcase
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 03:36:30 PM »
Might as well showcase the second non-spinner bot huh? :P

These bots both have 5cm Plastic armor, and both have geared down E-teks for drive. They also both get whipped in a second by the DSL bots. =P

Gay Streaker var2 has only two hammers as weapons, but they actually seem to last quite much. It has a (yay!) wedge and doesn't flip over enemies when ramming at them full-speed. Odd, I would have expected it from a bot with such an high CoG.
It has two tall batteries, which output more amps than what the bot actually needs. Yet, downgrading to one of them wouldn't be enough. Please solve my dilemma, I need that kgs to get some semi-decent armor...
Oh and: it looks nowhere as cool as the first variation, something I HAVE to fix =P

Piece Of Cake is... Well, a lawnmower. It's only effective against sweepers and other bots with low weapons. Born because I saw that drive E-teks could be attached by their "internal" point. It has 8 Battlepacks for power. The chassis is largely unoptimized, something I'll start working on soon.

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
eFFe's Showcase
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 08:58:32 PM »
Whoa, those bots have gotta be on the verge of uncontrollable.  A HW with 4 E-tek drive and a MW with 2 E-teks.  I bet that rammer does a lot of damage if you can get a good hit though :mrgreen:

For the battery issue on Gay Streaker var2, you can just use different batteries, like 2 PC545's or 3 Battlepacks.  Or one PC625 and a Battlepack.  I can't think of any way you can make it look cool though.  It's hard with such a tall, boxy chassis and not a lot of extra weight.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline eFFeeMMe

• Zombie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
eFFe's Showcase
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 10:50:56 AM »
Hi there people!

No, I haven't forgotten DSL, but I had LOTS of problems with my pc and my internet connection as of late. At the moment I can't play any game (I'm afraid of using too much RAM, since it seems it's the RAM slots on the motherboard which are broken), but as soon as I get a new motherboard, I promise people, I'll be back :wink: