Author Topic: DSC's IRL DSL showcase  (Read 90898 times)

Offline NFX

• Rep: 11
  • SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: DSC's IRL DSL showcase
« Reply #340 on: September 01, 2011, 06:22:37 AM »
Nothing, I reckon it'd look better without. And I don't think IRL-style bots use that sort of wedges as a means of offense, they'd just dig into the arena. Small wedge component on a skirt hinge if you really need something there.
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline smashysmashy

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #341 on: September 01, 2011, 06:35:01 AM »
Nothing, I reckon it'd look better without. And I don't think IRL-style bots use that sort of wedges as a means of offense, they'd just dig into the arena. Small wedge component on a skirt hinge if you really need something there.

Meh, for IRL, I think you're right.

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #342 on: September 01, 2011, 11:43:16 AM »
Wordy post incoming, lolz.

First off, I'm not looking for an AU because it would just be egotistical of me to think I deserve one, when I've not done anything special. I just make pretty bots. :approve:

Second point, I do concede that the skirts aren't really required or necessary on this front-mounted spinner, it's almost gotten to the point where I add them out of habit rather than style. I'll keep the ones on the rear though as decoration, they're purely cosmetic at the back. Weapon will stay because as nice as the last one was, for BB3 it was the wrong choice. Who says I couldn't make them interchangeable though? ;)

Lastly, i'm not uploading this to the bot exchange. The great thing about IRL-style building is that it can inspire people to make something like it, and it's also easy to figure out how to build it as well. There's no trickery or glitch to most IRL bots, it's just using what you have to make the coolest thing you can. :)

Offline smashysmashy

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #343 on: September 01, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
Wordy post incoming, lolz.

First off, I'm not looking for an AU because it would just be egotistical of me to think I deserve one, when I've not done anything special. I just make pretty bots. :approve:

Second point, I do concede that the skirts aren't really required or necessary on this front-mounted spinner, it's almost gotten to the point where I add them out of habit rather than style. I'll keep the ones on the rear though as decoration, they're purely cosmetic at the back. Weapon will stay because as nice as the last one was, for BB3 it was the wrong choice. Who says I couldn't make them interchangeable though? ;)

Lastly, i'm not uploading this to the bot exchange. The great thing about IRL-style building is that it can inspire people to make something like it, and it's also easy to figure out how to build it as well. There's no trickery or glitch to most IRL bots, it's just using what you have to make the coolest thing you can. :)

First point. Don't be so modest, they're epic :D
Second point. I like the idea of interchangeable weapons, it suits the bot.
Last point. Darn it. But you do have a point....

EDIT: I confess, I have actually cloned (but not to a huge amount of detail, I just copied the weapon system) of your IG-88-esque vertical spinner from near the start of your showcase.

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #344 on: September 01, 2011, 08:42:14 PM »
Hit F12 to see weapon mesh for Hypno teeth. If you still want to use them, feel free, but if you want them to do something, try a different weapon.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #345 on: October 09, 2011, 09:23:19 AM »

Why have fun building robots when you can just min-max endlessly? ;)

Offline Pwnator

• Rep: 15
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • http://pwnator.tumblr.com
    • Awards
« Reply #346 on: October 09, 2011, 09:27:59 AM »
Very nice.

You could try downgrading the wedges to something like 40cm angled aluminum sheets in favor of something stronger than that halfsheet (a 30x80 DSL bar, probably). And I doubt the efficiency of the plow placement, it should probably be better further back.
Clash Cubes 1 - Grey Matter (Runner-Up)
King of Karnage - Sideshow Freak (Runner-Up, Best Engineered)
Rust In Pieces - Paper Cut 3 (Grand Champion, Most Dangerous Bot)
Wheely Tag Tournament - Ion Thruster (Grand Champion, along with Ounces' DiSemboweLment)
UK vs USA - Dark Striker (Grand Champion)
Rust In Pieces 2 - Claymore (Runner-Up, Favourite Bot)
BBEANS 6 - Infection 4 (Runner-Up)
RA2 Team Championships - Serious Business, Skeksis (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, and Badnik)
RA2 Team Championships 2 - The Other Stig (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, Badnik, 090901, and R1885)
Replica Wars 3 - Abaddon (Runner-Up, Luckiest Bot)
BroBots - wheebot & yaybot (Runner-Up)
Robo Zone 2 - Dipper (4th place, Survival Champion, & Best Axle Bot)
ARBBC - The Covenant (3rd place, BW Rumble Winner, Most Feared BW)

Offline NFX

• Rep: 11
  • SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #347 on: October 09, 2011, 09:29:30 AM »
Looks like a pretty good idea, in my view. I tried something like this before, but I think this is better. I wouldn't use the Tite halfsheet on the front there, you get a third the HP of the Full Sheet for half the weight.
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline Jack Daniels

• Losing Tournaments with Style
    • matt.morrill.12
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • My abandoned online RPG project.
    • Awards
« Reply #348 on: October 09, 2011, 11:23:07 AM »
Awesome.   Agree with Pwn on the plow though.

Offline martymidget

• Rep: 7
  • Mr Flibble is very cross.
    • http://tts.imtranslator.n
    • View Profile
    • :)
    • Awards
« Reply #349 on: October 09, 2011, 12:24:41 PM »
The concept reminds me of A Very Big Block :')

Agreed with what these guys said, though.

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #350 on: October 09, 2011, 12:34:01 PM »
Looks awesome alright~
"Always be yourself, unless you're a loser"

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #351 on: October 09, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »
Not the usual realism, but I like it.

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #352 on: October 09, 2011, 01:31:18 PM »
Plow was moved as far back as I could manage, and I understand now why that was the better idea. The front has remained pretty much the same though - I kept the half sheet because i'm using it to help ramp bots into the weapon, rather than just bluntly protecting the front. I don't have enough space and angle to use a full sheet, and the DSL bars tend to obstruct and prevent bots moving onto the weapon more than a halfsheet.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #353 on: October 09, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »
Eeeh. The armor's not efficient, and your weapon motors might just get shredded after the 1500 HP halfsheet fall off.

Offline freeziez

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • He's Mr. White Christmas, he's Mr. Snow...
    • youtube.com/freeziezGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #354 on: October 09, 2011, 05:50:38 PM »
Just for the record Naryar, I enter tournaments because I have the time to,  because I've not been told I cannot, and because I like to enter something that would add a little variety to it. I'm not going to be foolish and claim I can build efficient bots to a decent standard, but I find it quite telling that there are a lot of people who can build very efficiently, yet you seem to be the only one who will feel like they have to post about it, and talk in quite a condescending way. You could still learn a lot from your peers here and accept that some people don't build to your supposed standard, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Do you not learn anything?
obligatory battlebots 5 comment

GTM Awards 2011

Best Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)
Best New Tournament Host: freeziez
Most Suprising Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #355 on: October 09, 2011, 06:22:16 PM »
Just for the record Naryar, I enter tournaments because I have the time to,  because I've not been told I cannot, and because I like to enter something that would add a little variety to it. I'm not going to be foolish and claim I can build efficient bots to a decent standard, but I find it quite telling that there are a lot of people who can build very efficiently, yet you seem to be the only one who will feel like they have to post about it, and talk in quite a condescending way. You could still learn a lot from your peers here and accept that some people don't build to your supposed standard, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Do you not learn anything?

I... fail to see your point, and fail to see why are you randomly being aggressive towards me. Obviously DSC's last bot is not an IRL build, so I made a comment about the unefficiency of it's armor, which has been already said two times by both Pwn and NFX already, and then I get this.

What I have given is just advice, and good advice efficiency-wise. It's what I am supposed to do in the showcases. I know DSC is an IRL builder, and most of these prefer cool looks to efficiency advice, so I won't bother about efficiency advice (unless it's Thyrus and I just want to piss him off) but this build isn't IRL, quite obviously.

And then you randomly quote something and bash me, and add nothing to the conversation about this bot.

End of off-topic, now more advice on the bot - You would be better with small titanium/steel sheets on a skirt hinge rather than that front armor.

Though I have the feeling this bot is a "take that" at efficiency building, especially with your comment...

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #356 on: November 11, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »

Mini splash, as i've not been that creative in DSL recently. Can't remember where the AI is that would make the metal hinges stop rotating once the skirts have dropped enough either

Offline smashysmashy

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #357 on: November 11, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »
<3

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #358 on: November 11, 2011, 06:28:50 PM »

Forgot this, although technically it's not a bot. But yes, had an idea and made a championship belt, seems to have come out well enough.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #359 on: November 11, 2011, 06:31:42 PM »
needs moar razors.

Now make it spin !