Author Topic: dootIRL  (Read 55228 times)

Offline doot

dootIRL
« on: November 21, 2015, 02:38:22 PM »
dootIRL.png

As a side note, most of my stuff isn't that great until you get to around page 6. Most of the quality since has increased greatly when compared to what I was capable of in 2015 and 2016.

Regardless, I'll keep all my 'bots from ages ago even though they aren't as good as before. Hope you guys understand. ^_^

Legacy stuff is in the spoiler below.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 03:48:51 AM by doot »

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: DemonOfTomorrow's Deadly(ish) DSL Showcase
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 04:39:11 AM »
Not bad! I don't know much about DSL but I think having a grinding type of weapon on a vertical spinner isn't as good as a heavier weapon that can really lift up opponents.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 05:18:37 AM »
Easy to tell you've been lurking. Pretty good bots for the first showcased, so nice job.

A few quick tips from me, try using multi-extenders instead of baseplate anchors - they're a lot smaller and weigh less, while having even more functionality.
You also may want to try removing the wedges from your VS (and maybe also the extra discs on the side), and you could probably improve your plows or weaponry with the extra weight. Issue is with wedges on a VS is if anything gets under your wedge, you won't be able to hit them. No wedge, no problem. They'll always go under, but you'll always hit them. That plow support setup lends itself very well to this method, and upgrading them to the heavy ones will really benefit your durability. Taking the other discs off on the other hand will make your weapon spin faster due to less weight - always a plus. Perhaps consider ways you could shrink your chassis and use 2 perm132's instead of 1 dual e-tek for some really awesome dual-vs power.
Good luck!
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline doot

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 02:06:44 PM »
Hey, remember when I tried to upload stuff? Me neither! Anyways, a mod to Crazy Jane. Introducing...

She has 2 devestating grinders and can rip anyone apart easily. She isn't defenseless, either, with 3mm titanium and 2 halfsheets to stabilise and protect her.

And what can she do? Well...

She can kill just about anything! Critical E isn't safe, WIIde Load isn't safe, hell, Mako can't survive her (to be fair, though, Mako did rip off a flywheel).

Originally, she did have wedges, but the wedges did an AGOD and I had to remove them. Good choice, too - CJXT can kill flippers even when they get under her!

What do you think?

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 02:38:36 PM »
welcome back man :)

looks pretty solid, I'm a little worried on if you have enough weapons though. it's pretty easy to outdrive the AI (its dumb as rocks), but if you enter tournaments we use AIed robots completely so you can't use driving skills to get around that. you need as many weapons as you can in that situation.

also since AI goes straight at each other and doesn't flank, you may find this thing get annihilated by gut rippers. you may want some longer teeth to at least have a chance of knocking them away. if you press f12 you can see the collision meshes of components, and hypno teeth have a very small one. otherwise, good job.

I'm not sure if you've noticed yet but DSL 2.2 released, it has a lot more components and better balance and stuff than 2.1. I'd give it a shot.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 02:44:26 PM »
If you're aiming for realism then move the inner drums with razors, as they're cutting through the perm.

Offline doot

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 05:04:32 PM »
I tried DSL 2.2. The result? Well... I made this IRL 'bot... ...thing.

A bloody intricate thing using a flywheel for a weapon. Yeah, you're starting to see a pattern for robots that I create. There is a hell of a lot of plates and outer stuff on Alphastorm, mainly to give it a complex look.

The internals are rather small, with the main box only taking up a quarter of the weight. The Ref Perm is also a quarter its weight with the weapon and the armour is at least half the weight overall.

So tell me: On a scale of 'Never do IRL again' to 'Bloody god', How'd I do?

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 05:15:34 PM »
pretty damn awesome

Offline Pwnator

• Rep: 15
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • http://pwnator.tumblr.com
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »
The front looks cool, but the rear's quite messy.
Clash Cubes 1 - Grey Matter (Runner-Up)
King of Karnage - Sideshow Freak (Runner-Up, Best Engineered)
Rust In Pieces - Paper Cut 3 (Grand Champion, Most Dangerous Bot)
Wheely Tag Tournament - Ion Thruster (Grand Champion, along with Ounces' DiSemboweLment)
UK vs USA - Dark Striker (Grand Champion)
Rust In Pieces 2 - Claymore (Runner-Up, Favourite Bot)
BBEANS 6 - Infection 4 (Runner-Up)
RA2 Team Championships - Serious Business, Skeksis (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, and Badnik)
RA2 Team Championships 2 - The Other Stig (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, Badnik, 090901, and R1885)
Replica Wars 3 - Abaddon (Runner-Up, Luckiest Bot)
BroBots - wheebot & yaybot (Runner-Up)
Robo Zone 2 - Dipper (4th place, Survival Champion, & Best Axle Bot)
ARBBC - The Covenant (3rd place, BW Rumble Winner, Most Feared BW)

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 04:01:36 AM »
it's messy but i don't mind : it looks cool

Offline Scorpion

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 04:48:13 AM »
What other have said basically, front looks like neat, typical IRL style, the back though is kind of funky.
It's like a piece of modern art, representing the directionless and convoluted nature of the modern world.

Offline doot

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 12:06:17 PM »
I made more IRL-style 'bots and accidentally annihilated Alphastorm. :P

This robot has 2 drums with a load of beater bars and Tita 1mm armour.
(also inb4 'EMPTEH SPAYCE ARRBLARBL')

This bot here uses a large spinning bar to deck its opponents. It has Tita 1mm armour and has an armour frame around the Drive E-Teks.

Oh, look, I made something that isn't a VS/Flipper! Anyways, It has razors, flipping spikes and a load of push - 2 NPCF's at the rear and 2 NPC's at the front for some better control.

Also here's Alphastorm getting destroyed i guess because i dunno.

At least it can take on a lot of the replica 'bots - Hell, it killed Mechavore easily enough.

How did I do?

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 12:12:49 PM »
I like the last one.

Offline doot

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 08:42:36 AM »
More DSL 2.1 'bots 'n' stuff.

This is the 'bot I need the most help with. Aptly named because it looks like some SnS 'bots, it has 300 kgs of hammers and 3mm tita.

This robot is my most powerful yet when it comes to damage - It dealt almost 15000 damage to UnDeadBeat in 1 blow!. 160kg of beater bars makes up the weapon and it is armoured in an overkill-ish 5mm tita.

Flimpaler features 19 razors with 10 of them on BSG's. The BSG razors trap opponents on the spikestrips, ripping them apart and maybe even flinging them over. Has 3mm tita. This robot also annoyed me as the 2 wedges kept AGOd'ing, but it is fixed now.

My first middleweight so far, based mainly on Flimpaler. Features 6 razors on 2 BSG's and has 3mm tita. May need improvement, though. It does do well against most of the pack, which I am happy about.

If you have to criticise relentlessly, then do so.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 08:51:16 AM »
this is very oldschool me

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 09:23:54 AM »
I made more IRL-style 'bots and accidentally annihilated Alphastorm. :P

(Image removed from quote.)
This robot has 2 drums with a load of beater bars and Tita 1mm armour.
(also inb4 'EMPTEH SPAYCE ARRBLARBL')

This bot here uses a large spinning bar to deck its opponents. It has Tita 1mm armour and has an armour frame around the Drive E-Teks.

Oh, look, I made something that isn't a VS/Flipper! Anyways, It has razors, flipping spikes and a load of push - 2 NPCF's at the rear and 2 NPC's at the front for some better control.

Also here's Alphastorm getting destroyed i guess because i dunno.
At least it can take on a lot of the replica 'bots - Hell, it killed Mechavore easily enough.

How did I do?
The SnS needs longer weapons since SnSes live and die on their ability to sweep away their opponents with their weapons,  on the Face Spinner use either skirts or the half-sheet for the wedge since the full-sheet (?) isn't very good as a wedge, on Flimpaler you need the wedge to be WAY wider since it'll just get swept away if it's too narrow, and on Bad Religion move the razors so that they're behind the full-sheet since right now you're just begging for a spinner to take off the razors and make your bot useless.

Offline doot

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 09:48:43 AM »
The front part of BR is actually 2 halfsheets instead of 1 full sheet and the razors are behind the sheets, I just left them on the fired position for a better shot at the internals. I think you also need to change the quote; it's mentioning my 2.2 'bots instead of my 2.1 'bots.

I'll try and make the SnS better, though.

Offline doot

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 03:32:45 PM »
Meanwhile, in DSL 2.2... (I am working on 2.1 'bots, just a lil' something.)

An IRL flywheel that is (big shock) based off of Nightmare. I made this for looks, like with Alphastorm and it was a bugger to get fully correct.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 03:50:49 PM »
Not too bad.
Couple of things though:
-Not a fan of the alternating teeth sizes.
-I think it could do with some axle support on the near side of the disc.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 06:50:33 PM »