Author Topic: DarkMatterGaming's Spinning Things That May Be Robots  (Read 5074 times)

Offline DarkMatterGaming

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • An unhealthy obsession with spinning weaponry
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
DarkMatterGaming's Spinning Things That May Be Robots
« on: June 25, 2015, 11:46:03 AM »
Hello, now I get to show off the one robot that I'm actually somewhat proud of in DSL right now.

I like to call him - and this is super cliched - Big Red.

I don't know how to classify him - is he a fullbody or a partial spinner? I think partial - and he's the one robot who... actually meets what I aimed to build. ...He doesn't perform well but!

(Weapon is removed in the above picture)

Small edit: The reason there's a gap in the above picture? If I put a battery there, I couldn't have the control module. Oops.

I think the saddest part is that it looks more threatening than it actually is. And don't even get me started on when it tips over...
If it can have a spinner, put one on there.

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 6
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: DarkMatterGaming's Spinning Things That May Be Robots
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:03:43 PM »
That actually looks pretty damn cool. A few things though: Due to a glitch in RA2, every spinning motor only takes up 10 amps so you can actually just use 5 antweight batteries and save a lot of weight- you could probably get the weight down to a middleweight. You could also probably use a normal DSL tribar to save a bit of weight. Also, motors you're using for drive should only be used for spinners, I'd recommend using NPC-Fasts with vlad wheels instead. I'm not too sure about using maces but I don't know enough to give you an alternative since I don't really make spinners like that. Finally, it's best to use the blue speedcontroller just because it's a bit lighter. Don't get me wrong though, this looks really nice for one of your first bots in DSL.

Offline DarkMatterGaming

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:14:14 PM »
Started playing around with what you said, and I've come to the conclusion that - as a result - I need to cut down the chassis size, which will theoretically cut down at least a few hundred pounds. It's already come down by a lot with your advice, though!

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 12:23:27 PM »
we call these horizontal spinners or just spinners. FBS is another design, and this one ain't a FBS.

Offline DarkMatterGaming

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 12:42:47 PM »
Okay, thanks for the information, Nar.

Meanwhile...

Why? Why does RA2 hate me?

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 6
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »
If it's a height problem, obviously you'll have to raise the chassis. But if it's a component problem, you could try rotating the E-tek since the hitboxes can be pretty weird at times, I've solved a few problems like that just by rotating the component :P

Offline DarkMatterGaming

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 01:34:49 PM »
I did end up altering the chassis, actually, and... Well, to call him "Big" Red isn't accurate anymore.

Gentlemen, this is Moderate Red.

...and yes, he's still underperforming!

I did try to use NPC-Fasts at first, but... Simply put, they made it waaaaay too hard to control, and I ended up using regular NPCs.

The guts are mostly untouched, though; the biggest change is that it's using one Red and the drive.

Right now my biggest issue with the design - and something I don't know how to get around - is that the weapon isn't exactly... dependable. Any bot I put him against almost destroyed him instantly, and for some reason I didn't get DSA so I had to make it 1 mm Aluminum. I also tried a design with Iron Spikes, but... that didn't get very far either...

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 01:41:03 PM »
In DSL, the armors have been rebalanced, so DSA (ie, not picking an armor) is actually the worst possible armor choice.  If I remember correctly, the titanium ones are best on average.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 01:45:40 PM »
titanium and plastic armours have the best armour to weight ratio

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 01:53:04 PM »
If you're aiming for a middleweight you're spending way too much weight on your drive and not enough on weapons.

Offline rnifnuf

• Forum Linguist
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Proponent of competitive sonnet improvisation
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 02:17:58 PM »
There are many reasons the bot is not performing well. All of them can be fixed, and here is how/why:

The main reason the robot is not doing much damage is a combination of the weapon choice and the fact that the reach is too short. Axes, as well as weapons such as saws and pole spikes, have normals, which restrict the weapon's ability to do damage by only allowing the weapon to do damage with certain faces. In this case, the axes have normals on the blade, meaning that the axe will only do damage when the blade comes in contact with another component. A better weapon choice would be Light Double-Sided teeth or Beater Bars, since those weapons do not have normals. Also, use a larger tribar for longer weapon reach.

As Badnik said (while I was typing this post, actually) there is too much weight invested in the drive power. With the exception of SnS (Sit 'n' Spin), spinner robots do not need to be fast, and thus, do not need very much drive power. Rather than use four NPCs with Pussycat wheels (it is generally a good idea to avoid Pussycat wheels), use the left and right NPC motors with Hypnodisc or Vlad wheels. An advantage of the left and right NPC motors is that, due to hitbox shenanigans, they can be placed so that most of the motor is actually outside the chassis while still being attached to the baseplate.
Follow me on Twitter? I'd like to see you try!

Stock Showcase     DSL Showcase     Ironforge Showcase

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 02:20:13 PM »
rninuf i think he may be going for more of an irl style

Offline DarkMatterGaming

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »
What I'm taking out of this is that - somehow - my first build was generally better weapon wise. I don't even...

Anyway, I am kind flip-floppy between IRL and things that actually work, so I'll give the motors a try; honestly, at the moment, I'm half tempted to just rip the thing apart and try a different approach chassis wise.

Offline rnifnuf

• Forum Linguist
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Proponent of competitive sonnet improvisation
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
rninuf i think he may be going for more of an irl style

I never really considered that before; thanks for the insight. Still, I think this bot could benefit from being 2WD and using a larger tribar.
Follow me on Twitter? I'd like to see you try!

Stock Showcase     DSL Showcase     Ironforge Showcase

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 03:05:03 PM »
Sure it is going towards IRL... it's unrealistic but irl. Is this a new thing ?

and yeah, you really only need 2WD for all MW's. Especially for a HS.

axes are awful for spinners. keep them for rammers and pokers (piston bots).

also in DSL we tend to build realistically unlike in stock. that means no moving components going through other moving components, or motors and wheels and batteries and anything that isn't just a static bunch of metal/plastic.. it's just a soft taboo and you can build DSL unrealistic, but no one will accept an unrealistic bot in a DSL tournament.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 03:27:20 PM »
Sure it is going towards IRL... it's unrealistic but irl. Is this a new thing ?

Sounds like the first days of Stock to me.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline DarkMatterGaming

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 04:42:47 PM »
Whew boy, it has been awhile.

And no, my bot building skills have not gotten any better! In fact, I think they got worse. Hooray!

So without further ado (and to what the Discord has already seen): a mistake Aggressive Tissue Box.

...No, my naming conventions haven't improved either.

It's a Heavyweight vertical spinner (because I don't know how to build light) using 2 Large2 DSL Discs for the flywheels, large Typhoon teeth for weapons and a ZTek motor for the weaponry. And yes, I've already heard about the Piglets for drive...

Here's a top view of the bot - optimization is needed desperately but I'm so rusty at this that I've forgotten most of the finer details about building. So that's why stuff like this happens all the time!

Why yes, that is the test drive area.

In summary of Aggressive Tissue Box:

Pros:
  • The weaponry actually does do decent damage to AI bots. ...If I can hit them.
  • The weapon also doubles as a surprisingly effective srimech if it can find the grip.

Cons:
  • FLIPS LIKE NO ONE'S BUSINESS
  • If I go onto the ground, I lose all control of a fight.

So that's it; I know the bot's a piece of hot garbage but I love the idea of it, so I'd really like to know what to do to make it less of an incoherent mess.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 04:47:15 PM »
PIGLETS FOR DRIVE REEEEEE

Yeah, you already know that piglets aren't the best for drive, so you'll want to be rid of them. The drive legs look cool but aren't super efficient, so if you're more concerned with efficiency then looks, you might want to move the legs further apart, both horizontally or vertically. If not, you'll want to armour the legs more, at least. Typhoon teeth are pretty OP so your weapon choice looks solid. It's certainly an interesting bot.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline DarkMatterGaming

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »

Yeah, you already know that piglets aren't the best for drive, so you'll want to be rid of them. The drive legs look cool but aren't super efficient, so if you're more concerned with efficiency then looks, you might want to move the legs further apart, both horizontally or vertically. If not, you'll want to armour the legs more, at least. Typhoon teeth are pretty OP so your weapon choice looks solid. It's certainly an interesting bot.

I'm gonna assume replace the Piglets with NPCs? They might be far enough apart for the bot not to turn into a hurtling ball of "why am I doing please stop."

I'm also assume that I need to lower the machine more.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »

I'm gonna assume replace the Piglets with NPCs? They might be far enough apart for the bot not to turn into a hurtling ball of "why am I doing please stop."

I'm also assume that I need to lower the machine more.
Making the legs shorter and the chassis slightly wider should make it more stable. You can reduce the amount of batteries you've got in there to get some more weight to play with too if you're near the weight limit.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide