Author Topic: DarkMatterGaming's Spinning Things That May Be Robots  (Read 5036 times)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: DarkMatterGaming's Spinning Things That May Be Robots
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 06:17:48 PM »
Also dont use all four NPC-s to steer.. use 2 opposite on each size (if you dont know what i mean: top left and bottom right one)

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 06:32:23 PM »
tgm what are you talking about

i would create some motor protection, maybe the added weight will help your stability issue

Offline DarkMatterGaming

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • An unhealthy obsession with spinning weaponry
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 09:22:32 PM »
Going to update with my current build of things before I head off to bed; probably need to stretch the chassis out a little bit upwards because the wheels feel way too tight. But it looks safe enough and has taken a hell of a beating against the AI Bots (like the one with all the spinning maces that slips my mind! whoops).

Anyway, I hope I'm not breaking any rules with all the pictures and stuff. I try to be as comprehensive as possible with these whoops

Featuring 1 inch Titanium armor. Also yeah, we're keeping the "Die! D:<"

Back shot; those wedges, for supposedly being part of a shell for spinners, make really spiffy armor pieces.

Here's where one of my issues with this redesign lays: I made the wheels too close together and it still functions as well as a slip'n'slide. Which, comically, has allowed it to get on top of AI bots and just roll all over them with those giant screw off blades.

Next redesign is also going to have me lowering the roof to where that battery's top is (if I can measure it correctly). Or maybe just the Z-Tek, since battery power isn't the biggest concern for this thing.

Edit: It has just occurred to me that they're the same height. I'M SMART GUYS

Here's a side shot of the drive set-up without all the armor covering it (Med skis for the sides and the aforementioned shells for the front). Planning on replacing the wheels with Vlad wheels once I figure out the correct spacing.

Sidenote: because of how low it sits to the ground, I had to replace the Large Typhoon teeth with the small variants. Is there that much of a difference between them?

And another sidenote: thank you for all of the help. ;u;
If it can have a spinner, put one on there.

Offline NeonCalypso

• PMD Comics are my fetish
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Objective: Survive
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 06:28:45 AM »
You should probably make the spinner in the middle.
>not letting me ai my own robot

unironically kill yourself
Stuff I won at

Offline DarkMatterGaming

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 08:35:28 PM »
GOOD NEWS ON AGGRESSIVE TISSUE BOX (Pending name: Day Stallion, shout out to Shield)

In my ride home from school, I came up with a way to stop the flipping while moving forward while simultaneously keeping the chassis relatively small. Unfortunately it comes at the price of vulnerable wheels and the bot having a tendency to flip while driving with the weapon active (it's seriously fine otherwise).

So here's what I did:

why is that battery sticking out

I placed Anchors on 4 corners diagonal of each other and set up the drive train there. Gravity has it fall forward, boom I've got a stable robot (when it's not using it's weapon).

Here's a clean shot of the internals from the top; the chassis is just tall enough to fit the ZTek motor. Speaking of that, I think I've figured out why the bot keeps spinning out while driving to one side: the weight is imbalanced. So I'm probably going to replace that standard Ztek with a doublesided and see if that driving issues iron out.

This is how the bot is supposed to look. As of right now Size 2 Motorcycle wheels are the only wheels big enough to simultaneously let me drive without spinning out and have the larger Typhoon teeth that I had originally. Downside: they are very easily picked off. Might want to build a small frame around them and armor them up... Maybe that'll help prevent the self flipping alongside the new weapon motor?

To wrap things up, here's an annotation of what I did to set up the drive train (hopefully symmetrical on both sides, the ZTek was kind of a hassle to build around since hitbox romance). Maybe I should change these to 45 degrees but then I think the bot would sit too low and I'd scrape.

Side note, I do have another bot sitting in the works; combination Flipper + Flail spinner. Spoilers: only one of these weapons is actually worth a damn.

Anyway, feedback appreciated; I think this design is actually starting to get somewhere.

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 08:41:46 PM »
I feel like you have too many batteries in there.
One Big Black battery can have 5 motors survive an entire match, so you can get rid of the red ones.

Otherwise, it's an interesting one.
I have several opinions.

Offline DarkMatterGaming

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 08:46:48 PM »
THAT MAKES IT SO MUCH EASIER TO FIT THE NEW WEAPON MOTOR IN

THANK YOU

Edit:

Okay, before I go off to sleep, going to update with what I tried to make this thing... stable.

The Dual Ztek, in fact, did not work. In fact I think it made things worse.

I also ditched the NPCs thinking that my bot was pirouetting because it was turning into the weapon's spin too fast. ...also didn't work.

I'm running out of ideas aside from revert to a standard chassis build and make it like half an H
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:23:04 PM by DarkMatterGaming »

Offline DarkMatterGaming

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 10:26:55 PM »
So.

Aggressive Tissue Box is still the main focus (I should get around to building that flipper I've been wanting to do) since it's the first bot in a really long time that I want to see work this damn badly.

In the process of trying to make this thing at least somewhat workable, I made a realization:

I had too much power in my drive.

That's why it kept flipping over while turning! So after a quick retooling, I now have this:

Sideway Skis absorb most of the momentum that makes the bot just flop over; conversely, it's now much hard to self right myself.

Back shot, mostly just showing that we're back down to regular motorcycle wheels. Reverted the results from the experiments last night too.

Since we're down to only 3 motors, decided to scrap the big ole black battery in favor of two battlepacks. I might be overcompensating a bit but right now I'm aiming for functionality. Later down the line I can worry about how efficient the internals are.

I didn't take screencaps but other things I experimented with:

• Two more NPCs directly above the two already on there in an attempt to test invertability
  • Making a small 'roll cage' on the top (same place as where the NPCs were)

Both.. worked but neither felt right. The role cage did provide a lot of stability when it was upside down, though, so maybe I will end up keeping that change.

Anyway, somewhat shorter update tonight; tomorrow I'll rough draft my flipper and we'll see if I'm any better at flippers than weird Not-Nightmares.

That reminds me, rename to Day Stallion

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 01:16:07 PM »
bud the reason it's flopping over is the center of gravity is 12ft in the air

why don't you just make it shorter and not have to worry about adding another drive system on top?
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier