Author Topic: Danangoo's DSL Showcase  (Read 12395 times)

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Danangoo's DSL Showcase
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2020, 01:43:30 PM »
All in all though it's gorgeous. Not often these days that someone crops up with such a well defined and unique build style  :thumbup

I'm just glad to be free from the shackles of the in-game chassis creator! For example, I'm doing Scary Monsters right now (and I might even do an ant/middleweight version called Super Creeps) and I want to utilise an arrow shaped chassis. If I wanted to use the ingame engine I'd only be able to do a simple triangle - SketchUp allows me to have exactly what I want (as long as it's under 85/89 faces) and I'm that much better off for it.

All I'd be able to do with ingame -

c519fc7d5f9589054829cf30d6a622df.png

What I actually want (and have) -

9173e46ddd6b87ed0e07590d550dd095.png

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2020, 02:33:10 PM »
I love this showcase, so much creativity: THIS IS WHAT WE NEED MORE OF FROM PEOPLE! More please! :mrgreen:
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2020, 02:41:45 PM »
I love this showcase, so much creativity: THIS IS WHAT WE NEED MORE OF FROM PEOPLE! More please! :mrgreen:
Go small man

Loving these bots. I see you have embraced the obj life

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »

Thanks man, that's very kind of you!

Go small man

Loving these bots. I see you have embraced the obj life

.obj gang rise up

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2020, 03:18:49 PM »
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)

Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) is an arrow-shaped .bot armed with a  front-hinged arm flipper. While not exactly stunning, the front prongs are invaluable at getting under opponents, allowing me to send them back to the age of the dinosaurs!

[Mummified Corpse Eyes not included with this .bot and must be found seperately]

smsc.png

This one was a pretty challenging one to skin as everything seemed to be on a skew of about 45-50 degrees, so getting everything properly framed around this oddness was a bit difficult (but not impossible)

SMnp.png

Offline 8bean

• Professional Tourney Rigger
  • Rep: 10
  • I'm on discord probably
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: 8bean#4514
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2020, 05:52:31 PM »
what are those front forks made of?
Stuff I didn't suck at (from oldest to newest)

Offline NickyDustyOwl

• Rep: 3
  • The Scum Of The Earth
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: KermitNicky
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2020, 06:18:19 PM »
what are those front forks made of?
I think thats the spike/wedge thing on Hworf
Things I done did:

Offline Virus Bomb

« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2020, 08:37:03 PM »
aqua necklace has that classic robot wars flipper look and style to it :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup keep it up!

Offline superbomb122

• toomuchweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Really nothing special
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: superbomb122 #3549
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2020, 09:22:59 PM »
Didn't see Aqua Necklace and B.I.G. until just now

Both are incredible
Phantom- OW4 quarterfinalist and PWS6 runner-up
All Guts, No Glory- CUndisputed Champ obv
Everything else I've made- sh**

Delete your account smh

(Phantom is cool)

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2020, 09:16:13 AM »
I've just finished Survivor and Speed King, and I'll make an update post when I've finished Bohemian Rhapsody, Oh! Lonesome Me and Brain Storm.

998cd34a1c2eabe90bdbd63aa5f63662.png

baa54825be5d976c21d27b37dbd0af46.png

aqua necklace has that classic robot wars flipper look and style to it :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup keep it up!

Thank you very much, it's the aesthetic that I was aiming for, so I'm glad I was able to do it some justice!

Didn't see Aqua Necklace and B.I.G. until just now. Both are incredible

I'm not as pleased with B.I.G as I am with Aqua Necklace (I'm really glad I added the lines under the text at the last minute), but it's still neat.

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2020, 10:09:34 PM »
Speed King / Survivor / Bohemian Rhapsody (and Scary Monsters, again)

Speed King and Survivor were absolute doddles to design, but I must've done about six models for Bohemian Rhapsody before choosing to just reuse the chassis of "Hahaha". I try not to reuse already existing .bot files as bases for others because it lends itself to laziness and half-arsedness and I'm not about that lifestyle. Seeing as how Speed King is one of my favorite Stands, I initially decided to create a little head crest to go somewhere on the chassis. After changing the look of the design I chose to not include the crest as I felt that it cluttered the design.

I also made a mockup of Scary Monsters to try the style of background I wanted, and I think it looks alright. The next couple of designs should be Soft Machine, Oh! Lonesome Me, Talking Head and Brain Storm!

Speed King.png

Survivor.png

Bohemian Rhapsody.png

Scary Monsters.png

speedkinbghead.png

Offline KidDelta

• Treasure Sniper
  • Heavyweight
  • "To Comfort the Disturbed, and Disturb the Comfort
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: X Æ A-12#8572
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2020, 11:54:38 PM »
While the design of the bots may be sometimes underwhelming and poor (being honest here), I can't deny that the skins, creativity and Splashes are excellent
I shouldn't have come here

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2020, 04:01:44 AM »
While the design of the bots may be sometimes underwhelming and poor (being honest here), I can't deny that the skins, creativity and Splashes are excellent

Honesty is the best policy, chief.

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2020, 03:00:59 PM »
It's been just over a month since I last posted here, so I thought I'd try a different build for once. I'll be continuing my JJBA-themed .bots in a few days and I'll try to make them not "underwhelming"

Bee Boy 2 / Ravenous Rat 2 / Sarcophage 2

Bee Boy 2

20200429203947_2.jpg

Although Bee Boy 2's final form has obviously taken inspiration from robots like 13 Black and Chrome Fly, the original version was just one-half of the chassis. When sorting out the internals of Bee Boy 2, I decided to try to implement an omni-directional driving mechanism like Shatter! If it didn't work, I'd just delete the other wheels and drive it like a normal .bot. (It worked. Very nicely. Very nicely indeed.) As a result it's a little slower than some other .bots, but it makes up for that lack in speed with 2 really hard-hitting spinners.

Ravenous Rat 2

20200429203953_1.jpg

The original version of Ravenous Rat 2 was just a reskin of the original, but what's the point in giving something a "2" and a new paint job if you're not going to change the interiors/weapon? The original Ravenous Rat's overhead sledgehammer arm has been replaced with a double-headed polespike hammer. The design inspiration for Ravenous Rat 2 came from checking reference images to horse and bull skulls.

Sarcophage 2

20200429203944_1.jpg

Sarcophage 2 is, like Ravenous Rat 2, a complete redesign on the original design, with a new chassis shape, weapon and locomotion. The two little divits on the side of the .bot are supposed to keep it from being stuck on its side.

Both Sarcophage 2 and Ravenous Rat 2 are textured in the same way and I didn't notice that until I went to post this. The differential factor between both is that Sarcophage is a bit more bronze.

Offline 8bean

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2020, 03:16:25 PM »
These bots look really nice, especially on the skins. Are you using Ironforge for this btw or do you just have the components in your game?

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »
These bots look really nice, especially on the skins. Are you using Ironforge for this btw or do you just have the components in your game?

Thanks for the comment, I used to export textures at 1024x1024 but 2048x2048 gives them much more clarity. I would have had 3 more .bots to showcase but I mucked up the process in Blender and they rendered wrong.

The base game I'm using is the Resetti's Wars AI Pack so I think it's just things taken from that. If I'm going to upload any .bots to Bot Exchange I'll basically rebuild the .bot in a clean version of DSL 2.2 without using certain items (the motors for Bee Boy 2 are modded flatmotors and the battery is also modded).

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »
Attempted building the chassis for an Agent Orange upgrade. I think it's pretty good, considering that it's got 80 meshfaces.

Team_spin_doctor.JPG.jpg

e4aa118fedfb4684a466936de160bfc5.png

dec then done.png

Offline 8bean

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2020, 12:52:32 PM »
This looks pretty solid atm, just need a skin and the claws at the front. Only difference I can see atm is that the rectangle in the center could be a tad higher.

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Interior crocodile alligator 🤔
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2020, 03:50:03 PM »
Lookin clean man, also nice JoJo inspired robots. All of your bots looks really nice
Achievements and tournament placings

Offline bloodys45

• Antweight
  • Rep: -11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2020, 12:07:29 PM »
Hey man
Nice your all robot