Author Topic: Danangoo's DSL Showcase  (Read 12399 times)

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Danangoo's DSL Showcase
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 08:41:02 AM »
Yeah pretty much every single IRL tournament uses 2.2 Complete Edition these days. Look forward to seeing what you come up with  :smile:

Quite a lot of IRL builds that I've seen in the past have at least some component interaction like extender collision for a frame or panel interaction, but the 2.2 CE renders such a thing impossible with its component freedom restrictions. I know removing such a thing works against the IRL mindset and building ideal, but the shift from "extenders are collidable with a 10cm inter/overhang" to "everything is strictly rigid and cannot be deviated from" is quite jarring.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 08:53:29 AM »
Yeah pretty much every single IRL tournament uses 2.2 Complete Edition these days. Look forward to seeing what you come up with  :smile:

Quite a lot of IRL builds that I've seen in the past have at least some component interaction like extender collision for a frame or panel interaction, but the 2.2 CE renders such a thing impossible with its component freedom restrictions. I know removing such a thing works against the IRL mindset and building ideal, but the shift from "extenders are collidable with a 10cm inter/overhang" to "everything is strictly rigid and cannot be deviated from" is quite jarring.
Complete Edition has Component freedom from what I recall, you just need to turn it on. If it's legality you're worried about literally 100% of IRL tournaments allow CF so you'll be fine. You aren't allowed to clip stuff like batteries and motors inside each other but extenders and panels are fair game (I've written a detailed guide on this type of thing, which is in my signature), which is why most of the IRL bots you've seen have this clipping
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 09:21:24 AM »
Complete Edition has Component freedom from what I recall, you just need to turn it on. If it's legality you're worried about literally 100% of IRL tournaments allow CF so you'll be fine. You aren't allowed to clip stuff like batteries and motors inside each other but extenders and panels are fair game (I've written a detailed guide on this type of thing, which is in my signature), which is why most of the IRL bots you've seen have this clipping

Oh ok. My bad, lol

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 09:24:00 AM »

Oh ok. My bad, lol
Don't worry about it man. Totally understandable mistake to make. Hit me up if you have any more questions about IRL building and stuff

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2019, 05:18:01 AM »
Seeing as how it's been a while since I tried to build an extenderbot / or adhere to a strict IRL mindset for building, I tried my hand at building three bots. All of them bar "As Of Yet, Unnamed" have a baseplate. AOY,U's wheel height made it impossible to change once it had been realised.

Slumblebee

slu.png

Ygdrassil 4

Yg4.png

As Of Yet, Unnamed

As Of Yet, Untitled.png

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 07:20:31 AM »
Seeing as how it's been a while since I tried to build an extenderbot / or adhere to a strict IRL mindset for building, I tried my hand at building three bots. All of them bar "As Of Yet, Unnamed" have a baseplate. AOY,U's wheel height made it impossible to change once it had been realised.

Slumblebee

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

Ygdrassil 4

As Of Yet, Unnamed

I like the chassis design of As of yet Unnamed but I feel it would work better with something like a hammer, or a longer flipping arm that starts at the back of the bot rather than the small one it has now. You should also really put a bottom panel on it as you're 140kg under the HW weight limit so you've got plenty of weight to do so.

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 07:46:47 AM »
I like the chassis design of As of yet Unnamed but I feel it would work better with something like a hammer, or a longer flipping arm that starts at the back of the bot rather than the small one it has now. You should also really put a bottom panel on it as you're 140kg under the HW weight limit so you've got plenty of weight to do so.

It's not so much that I simply forgot to do a baseplate, it's more that the internal/external build doesn't allow for one the way that the wheels/wheel motors are positioned. If it was as simple as changing wheels it'd be fine but there's such a small margin between the wheel and the extenders that it'd all need to be reframed.

wheelguide.png

I'll probably reframe it anyway but I'll also try the lifting arm idea.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 08:11:21 AM »

It's not so much that I simply forgot to do a baseplate, it's more that the internal/external build doesn't allow for one the way that the wheels/wheel motors are positioned. If it was as simple as changing wheels it'd be fine but there's such a small margin between the wheel and the extenders that it'd all need to be reframed.

There's certain components with unique attachment points that allow you to get panels flush with extenders, which would let you put one on without redoing the whole frame. Multiextenders are one such component, as are small beaters. I'll take a screenshot showing what I mean once I get home.

Offline Team Code Red Robotics

• Based
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Based
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Code#4035
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 08:17:00 AM »

There's certain components with unique attachment points that allow you to get panels flush with extenders, which would let you put one on without redoing the whole frame. Multiextenders are one such component, as are small beaters. I'll take a screenshot showing what I mean once I get home.
He also could BFE it flush, not saying he must but saying it's an option.
Based

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2019, 04:06:19 PM »
You were right, he does look better with a hammer.

peepee.png

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2019, 04:20:42 PM »
You were right, he does look better with a hammer.

Looks nice. Your bots look really excellent for someone so new to the forums

Did you manage to get a bottom panel on it BTW? Here's a screenshot which hopefully better illustrates what I was on about by using Multiextenders or small beaters to get a flush bottom panel.

Flushpanel.png

The small beater is attached to the extender (which in your case would be your frame) and then the panel is attached to the bottom of that. Hope this helps

Edit: I just realised you've actually been registered here pretty much just as long as I have. Still think you're doing a good job though considering you only started actually showcasing a few days ago

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »
Looks nice. Your bots look really excellent for someone so new to the forums

Did you manage to get a bottom panel on it BTW? Here's a screenshot which hopefully better illustrates what I was on about by using Multiextenders or small beaters to get a flush bottom panel.

The small beater is attached to the extender (which in your case would be your frame) and then the panel is attached to the bottom of that. Hope this helps

Thank you, that's very kind. I've had RA2 for about 3-5 years now (started with the Robot Wars RA2 mod with all of the hyper-realistic .bots) and since I like the design aesthetic of the early 2000's robot combat scene (Robot Wars Series 2-4 and early Battlebots), I've been trying to emulate that style in my design. So much so, in fact, that when I was thinking of how to condense my images down to the simplest information without taking too much screen up, I was thinking about mocking up the information in a style reminiscent of that era like -

ygmockup.png

ygmockup2.png

ygmockup3.png

I'd have never thought of incorporating beaters into the chassis in a million years. Thanks for the tip!

Offline [cringey name goes here]

• Supah Kickah
  • Rep: -4
  • coolest monkey in the jungle 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2019, 05:45:46 PM »
Very cool! I hope to see some of these designs in tournaments!
please eat something that you're allergic to, in excessive ammounts
:sweat-smile: sadness anxiety insanity and chaos some people choose 1 or 2 me i choose all 4 :sweat-smile:
funniest user 2020

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2019, 12:20:39 PM »
The last few days have been somewhat of a failure, since I tried to A) get acquainted with component skinning and B) made a fair few designs that were good until the very end where I then noticed that the frame was 1 or two blocks too wide to work properly.

Whitestrake was the only successful .bot, but even then he doesn't look so great.

whitestrake.png

If I'd managed to get component skinning to work well enough, this is what I'd hoped Whitestrake to look like.

whitestrake mockup.png

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2019, 12:40:45 PM »
The last few days have been somewhat of a failure, since I tried to A) get acquainted with component skinning and B) made a fair few designs that were good until the very end where I then noticed that the frame was 1 or two blocks too wide to work properly.

Whitestrake was the only successful .bot, but even then he doesn't look so great.

If I'd managed to get component skinning to work well enough, this is what I'd hoped Whitestrake to look like.

The concept is definitely there, just needs a little work on the execution. Stuff like the panel gap between the flipper panel and the triangle plates could do with getting rid of. I also feel as though it would benefit from more colours than just turquoise (and also colours which fit better with the ones on the logo)

Overall though it's solid. One last thing is that functionality wise you may struggle for power with only 1 front hinge burst (I can't tell if it's a VDMA or Storm front hinge, but either way it's gonna be pretty weak). I'd suggest using a larger burst or going for a 2 burst setup with a flipper panel that big and heavy.

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2019, 05:36:35 PM »

The concept is definitely there, just needs a little work on the execution. Stuff like the panel gap between the flipper panel and the triangle plates could do with getting rid of. I also feel as though it would benefit from more colours than just turquoise (and also colours which fit better with the ones on the logo)

Overall though it's solid. One last thing is that functionality wise you may struggle for power with only 1 front hinge burst (I can't tell if it's a VDMA or Storm front hinge, but either way it's gonna be pretty weak). I'd suggest using a larger burst or going for a 2 burst setup with a flipper panel that big and heavy.

Yeah, the idea came together pretty late in the designing stage. I don't like it that much, but it's serviceable. I hadn't even noticed the colour scheme not being representative of the logo until I was almost finished. It flips pretty well with only a slight bit of a performance drop with heavyweights (not enough to be serious, though). The flipper mechanism operates through a VDMA front hinge. Initially, I wanted there to be a plow lifter ala Atomic 2 style but it wasn't very good, so I opted for a panel lifter.

At least this one had a (sort of) baseplate incorporated into the design.

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2019, 06:48:35 PM »
Only a small update - I've been experimenting with some newer designs and I came up with these two.

As Of Yet, Unnamed 2 is supposed to be a barebone chassis in an attempt to emulate some sort of junkyard aesthetic (aka it's a "it's stylistically designed to be that way" tier design).

"3vil Weevil" was a placeholder name for something I was going to name "Grasshopper" but Grasshopper's a pretty lame name.  It's supposed to be a spiritual successor to the Evil Weevil robot from Robot Wars 3+4. Not a particularly spectacular bot, but one that I always remember loving the shape / design of. Originally the chassis struts were going to be an alternating orange/green colour mix but it looked really offputting so black/green was chosen. If I could redo it, I'd probably have chosen orange/black, but it's not that important.

As Of Yet, Unnamed 2

As Of Yet, Unnamed 2.png

3vil Weevil

3vil Weevil.png

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2019, 08:08:23 AM »
The orange livery looks much better than the green one, but the green one still looks alright.

orange vs green.png

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2019, 07:25:48 PM »
Decided to spruce up an old design I made in 2016 and create a 2019 counterpart!

Leviathan Prime (was just The Leviathan before) & Static Shock!

Leviathan Prime.png

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »
Decided to spruce up an old design I made in 2016 and create a 2019 counterpart!

Leviathan Prime (was just The Leviathan before) & Static Shock!

Was the Leviathan in Redditbots? I seem to remember seeing a bot with that name and a similar design in there