Author Topic: Boby's Joke of a Showcase  (Read 17332 times)

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 6
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Boby's Joke of a Showcase
« on: May 23, 2015, 01:21:38 PM »
Alright, I was told to make a showcase so you guys can help me improve my bots. Starting with the robots I want to enter in the Battlerbots tournament  in a couple of months. First robot(s) is a multibot, which was probably a bad idea since I don't know much about them but the idea interested me.

Mercenary

Armour is titanium 5 I think, weight is 424.6kg

Rhino

Steel 10, 373.1kg

They've been doing decently in fights, using Badnik's Live Designs AI and they can win most fights. Couple of questions about multibots though- if one of them is out, are they both out? And do the bots have to be put together using BFE for use in tournaments?

Offline cephalopod

Re: Boby's Joke of a Showcase
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 01:27:37 PM »
BFE is actually usually banned in tournaments and is only allowed to be used as a utility on bots in some IRL tournaments, so don't worry there.
Multibot wise, depends on the tournament.

In terms of the bots, they're quite heavy for what they are. If you made the chassis a little smaller on the first one you could easily fit it into the MW category alone, so it wouldn't be facing such tough bots.
Nice start though - I'm guessing you're quite invested in the IRL style from those first 2 alone.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 01:41:08 PM »
Yeah, I primarily build IRL bots. I don't really want to enter it as a middleweight alone since by itself it's rather generic and I wanted to create something a little different. I definitely see what you mean though, I'll shrink the chassis down on Mercenary, probably give Rhino better motors or more weaponry, since the main idea is Rhino tanks while Mercenary attacks.

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 01:50:27 PM »
You blade spinner is going to suffer due to the nature of the game; a robot gets KO'd if its chassis gets scraped enough times, so a box with a spike could take that out.  It needs some components to protect it in front.

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »
What would you recommend? Just a standard ram plate?

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 05:46:44 PM »
Both robots have been updated. Rhino's been given better wheels

And Mercenary is now shorter, has a small amount of protection on the front, and has a few more batteries.

Together they're around 795kg, and work well as a multibot.

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 06:59:36 PM »
Are you using standard NPCs or the fast variants?

Looks good so far, although I'm not too fond of the Mercenary's wheel guards.

Don't get me wrong, you're off to a great start. Not too much else to improve here from what I can see.

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 07:11:22 PM »
They're fasts. I'll try to make some better wheel guards as well since I know they look butt-ugly.

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »
New Heavyweight

Ichor- 794.1kg, titanium 10. Someone please let me know if this is IRL or not since I'm not too sure.

Also forgot to post my lightweight before

Ditsy- 247.6kg, no armour. No armour may be a terrible idea but I figured if anything has the opportunity to hit the chassis it's pretty much screwed anyway. Antweight blade is there to keep the shell off the ground.

Offline TheUnknownRobotics

• UnknownMartin
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Sm4sh NNID: Nixtram
    • http://www.youtube.com/ch
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 10:21:40 AM »
New Heavyweight
(Image removed from quote.)
Ichor- 794.1kg, titanium 10. Someone please let me know if this is IRL or not since I'm not too sure.

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)
Ditsy- 247.6kg, no armour. No armour may be a terrible idea but I figured if anything has the opportunity to hit the chassis it's pretty much screwed anyway. Antweight blade is there to keep the shell off the ground.
The top one looks good, but maybe get the bars to hold the belt drive rather than it being far away (still a better attempt then what I can pull off). The second one, I'm not a huge fan of Typhoon spikes or the chassis' space. (Craaig, is my advice okay? Or am I making bad assumptions...)
Mostly a lurker and Sm4sh Bros. player nowadays. :3

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 10:59:14 AM »
New Heavyweight

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)
Holy crap the first one looks good!

The second one... not too sure. To be fair though, I've never had much luck with LW full body spinners either.

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »
The top one looks good, but maybe get the bars to hold the belt drive rather than it being far away (still a better attempt then what I can pull off). The second one, I'm not a huge fan of Typhoon spikes or the chassis' space. (Craaig, is my advice okay? Or am I making bad assumptions...)
Thanks for the feedback, is the robot IRL though? I'll look into shortening them.
Holy crap the first one looks good!

The second one... not too sure. To be fair though, I've never had much luck with LW full body spinners either.
Thanks, I'm hoping to enter these in the Battlerbots tournament, since the lightweight isn't getting good reception I'll concoct something else in its place.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 04:30:33 PM »
The top one is amazing and IRL, i believe.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 02:36:09 AM »
(Craaig, is my advice okay? Or am I making bad assumptions...)

No, that was fair :P

You could probably enter it into IRL tournaments like that and get away with it but if you wanna take it to 100%, get those axle supports actually on the axle. It's not always easy but it helps the look so much. Pretty cool otherwise, territory that's been trodden a lot before but for one of your first showcased bots, something that's been done well even though it's been done before isn't a bad thing, so good job.
//

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
For the second bot, ITS NEVER A GOOD IDEA TO LEAVE ARMOUR ALONE. EVER.
That causes Double Strength Aluminium, which is the best in stock RA2, but rubbish in everything else.#
Atleast go for Plastic 5
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 08:16:45 AM »
Yeah, the game gives it armour by default. The armour it gives it, known as DSA (Double Strength Aluminium) is the toughest armour in Stock. However, when the armour values were raised in DSL, it's awful - giving it Alu 3 (I think) is actually the same weight as DSA and offers a lot more protection. Or you can gain more weight to use by picking a lower armour.
//

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 09:53:27 AM »
Oh, thanks. I thought that the default armour would be lightest, if I can go with lighter armour I can widen the chassis and make it more stable, cheers.

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 05:31:33 PM »
Been away from the internet for a while(not sure how I survived) but I've been working on a few more bots.

Newton- 243.6kg

M.S.K.Y.O- 397.9kg

Bladebot 9000(in my defence, I didn't name it)- 248.1kg

Updated version of Ditsy- 247.9kg

I think I'm going to AI all the lightweights and fight them together to see which one I want to enter in Battlerbots.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »
I've been out of the loop for quite a while but I'll give it a shot
DSL 2.1 right?

How well does the first one get under people? I can see the slow drive being a problem since this kind of bot often relies on speed to get under things, and one snapper isn't the strongest thing. I'm not sure where the weight went. Does it have super heavy armor? You really don't need as heavy armor if your bot is this shallow a slope, especially with your flipper setup. It does look pretty, though. I bet you could figure out a way to get two green bursts in there to amp your flipping power and/or get stronger drive.

I'm not really good at SnS like this but I can see the slow drive being a problem again, though probably not so much as the last. You should be able to rebuild that chassis to save some weight to use other places, I'd try a new one without the slope on all sides. It has promise. Give these a paintjob, man! :)

I think this is probably the weakest of these, due especially to how fragile that weapon setup looks. Not only is the motor exposed, but carbon fiber extender is just begging to be hit and it has poop hp. Not really sure what's going on with the tail stuff in the background, but you could at least take some decorations off that and use a stronger support in place of the carbon extender

I don't know much about shell spinners but last time I checked those teeth had normals, which means they only do damage on the tip. Some weapons (razors, beater bars, sledges, etc) do damage on all sides, I'd suggest using something like that in place of those teeth. That goes for your last bot too, but not quite as much. Other than that I really can't tell much about the bot.

keep up the good work man
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »
these are irl bots so i assume tthe burst on the first bot is a judge burst