Author Topic: AGNBen's DSL Showcase  (Read 1838 times)

Offline AGNBen

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Nothing here move along.
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Awards
AGNBen's DSL Showcase
« on: March 24, 2014, 11:17:03 PM »
My first bot showcase: Spin King
Spin Kings main weaponry is a hammer mace that sits on a servo motor. The bot is a heavy weight despite its size. The servo is connected to an multipurpose connector which is connected to a zero degree base plate. The servo is controlled by Q and E. This is built for if I get caught in a corner I can swing it around and bash on my opponent. The mace normally goes above most defensive measures and strikes behind on the top where it is vulnerable. The arm also allows me to right my robot if it gets flipped.

The draw back to this design is that my bot is small for its weight class and the rod the mace is connected to is 120 cm of polycarb, meaning that it is easily broken. The reason it is connected to the polycarb and not say steel is because any added weight causes the arm to glitch and spin wildly. To counter this problem I lessened the arms weight which fixes the problem 90% of the time. 

Thats all I have to say about my bot feel free to improve upon the design. Good Luck if you try  ;)

GOOD interor veiw of spin king JEPG.jpg
Spin King outer veiw.jpg
BPS,

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: AGNBen's DSL Showcase
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 11:42:20 PM »
Never use piglets for drive, and all motors actually just need 10 amps to be powered(aside from servos, which don't need battery power, and burst motors, which DO require the amount of amps the description says it does). Also, always say what weight the robot is and what it's armor is. Also, maces are fairly ineffective weaponry, try razor tips, beater bars, small DS teeth, or hammers, which may be ideal for your design. Also, just use the geared beta motor as a hammer weapon. Black batteries are also useless, try the red ones instead. Lastly, the weapon system doesn't need to rotate a full 360. AI robots always go for head on collisions.

Nonetheless, I do like your thinking and explaining how your robot works. I'd recommend checking out 123STW or Naryar's showcases, they've got some pretty useful advice.
On an unrelated note, 100th Post!!! :dance:

Offline R1885

• Rep: 3
  • Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:58:22 PM »
There is a built in image uploader, you don't have to attach images to the post like a caveman.

In a nutshell:

Black batteries are worthless, all you need is ant batteries for everything.

Clubs are worthless as weapons, all you need are irons, razors, the hammers, and the saws.

Don't use any motors that don't have "drive" in the name or description for driving ever, NPC fast motors have the best power to weight ratio, with the mags at close second.

Keep all weapons towards the front, no need to split it.

Most bots only need two wheel drive, except for rammers and pop-ups.

Servos are good for hammers, but for only boosting the power and not aiming(Trust me, you will hit nothing like that)

The JXT is fine for hammers

Offline rnifnuf

• Forum Linguist
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Proponent of competitive sonnet improvisation
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 12:05:08 AM »
How much does it weigh and what is its armor? Always post this information so we can see what you are trying to build.

In place of the piglets, use two left/right NPC-T64's (regular or fast, your choice) with hypnodisc wheels. This is generally accepted as the most ideal drive setup for fast middleweights (249-399kg) or some heavyweights (601-800kg) that don't need to be fast. You only need two 10-amp ant batteries for these motors since all spin motors only draw ten amps.

What size of JX is that? the two different sizes of JX bursts operate differently depending on the size; The larger ones are bulkier but stronger, whereas the small ones are more compact but weaker. Generally, the large JX's are recommended for cruiserweights (400-600kg) and up.

I personally think that hammers are cool, but not many people build them anymore. Perhaps, with practice, you could perfect the art of the hammer, and then the art of the robot in general.
Follow me on Twitter? I'd like to see you try!

Stock Showcase     DSL Showcase     Ironforge Showcase

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ...is more dangerous...
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 12:13:07 AM »
It's certainly creative. I think everyone's made a turret hammer here, no matter how great or terrible lol.

I'll give it to you slowly. First order of events, spin motors only need 1 ant to power them, everything else has to be fully powered. We all questioned it as noobs but the reason why doesn't really matter.

There is an image uploader for your pictures. It's on the home page on the left and says "image host". I've never used the integrated image uploader but the image host is a bajillion times better, and easier for us to see because we're all grumpy old men.

Aaand one last thing- You might find people pressuring you to do one of two styles. They might make you do this;

Which is called DSL Standard and is exclusive to DSL. It's based on efficiency and less about looks. We generally see this type of building as competitive, and there's tons of technique and procedure and ladeedaa that goes about it.

And if you decide that style is for boring people and want to make something cool or robot wars-y, you'll be embraced by the people who do this;

and it's called DSL IRL. Not to be confused with DSL Realistic, which is not a building style, but a set of rules. This style is basically people who build stuff that looks like it could be built exactly in real life, and they take realism very seriously. Everything is very mutual and grey-area-sy, but some people find it very fun to do, and it's even kinda competative.

I'd be lying if I said we collectively encourage you to build whatever you want, because we don't. But, we do appreciate someone who can place chips in all styles.

Most importantly, don't be scared. We don't bite unless you stick your hand in our mouths, lol.

Offline AGNBen

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 10:53:06 AM »
Thanks for the feed back on my bot, it weighs around 711.2 kg with 3 steel armor. Also other engines have some trouble fitting into the bot, but I may try to make a bigger version which hopefully will improve. And the arm has 360 rotational ability because I play multiplayer on gameranger and it comes in handy then.
BPS,

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »
Make sure that you picture what your robots going to look like internally, then build the chassis, it's a helpful strategy. I personally think you should start with IRL designing style, since it's more simple and easier to master, plus it looks cooler. And I'm glad you're accepting everyone's advice, that will help you go far. :mrgreen:

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »
I personally think you should start with IRL designing style, since it's more simple and easier to master, plus it looks cooler.

Don't give advice to what people should do, it's their choice. If you choose IRL, that's fine, but let people do what they want.
Besides I'd argue my latest SHW looks cooler than most IRL stuff.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 12:28:53 PM »
I personally think you should start with IRL designing style, since it's more simple and easier to master, plus it looks cooler.

Don't give advice to what people should do, it's their choice. If you choose IRL, that's fine, but let people do what they want.
Besides I'd argue my latest SHW looks cooler than most IRL stuff.
My apologies. I probably should just hold off on advice for now.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »
lol kossokei, nobody pressures to build DSL standard anymore... these days it's all "IT'S NOT IRL OMGWTFBBQHAX!!!1!1!one!"

also go away with your advertising of a less manly style

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 12:47:12 PM »
lol kossokei, nobody pressures to build DSL standard anymore... these days it's all "IT'S NOT IRL OMGWTFBBQHAX!!!1!1!one!"

build standard pls. :V

Build to the weight limit. Also, in dsl standard, having more than one mace/spike/whatever is better as it does more damage.

Offline AGNBen

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 01:05:34 PM »
Thanks again for the feed back, I'm currently building a bot from all the info I've received.
BPS,

Offline Torrance

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 02:01:41 PM »
 :claping Nice looking robots

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ...is more dangerous...
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 02:06:40 PM »

I'll make sure this is the last I post of this conversation, but if you look at the next 3 posts after OP- rnif, tommy and ribbs all gave advice geared towards DSL-S and even though most IRL builders follow half of those procedures anyway, I don't think mentioning yours or 123's showcase would be advice for IRL building.

So, no, no-one really aggressively pressures to build it, but they subconsciously do. Or at least, those three.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 02:26:42 PM »

I'll make sure this is the last I post of this conversation, but if you look at the next 3 posts after OP- rnif, tommy and ribbs all gave advice geared towards DSL-S and even though most IRL builders follow half of those procedures anyway, I don't think mentioning yours or 123's showcase would be advice for IRL building.

So, no, no-one really aggressively pressures to build it, but they subconsciously do. Or at least, those three.

Nah, that is just basic advice so you don't build like crap. It is only slightly slanted towards DSL-S.