Author Topic: Absolarix's DSL Showcase  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Absolarix

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • The Absol of robotics.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Absolarix's DSL Showcase
« on: May 25, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »
So, I'm still learning about how to really win in this game, but I'm having fun with it! Somewhere on here I read that I should make a bot showcase to get other's opinions on my 'Bots to get better at making them, so here I be. I mainly run the DSL2.1 mod, so this is where my first showcase will be.

The first of two robots I will show off is the Zaron V. It's the fifth revision of my base idea and the only one I've thought good enough to make an AI of.

Zaron V
4x MagSnapper
2x NPC-T64

Zaron V

Zaron V's interior

This one is my attempt to remake Last Rites, though I question myself if I'm doing it right. Mainly, I'm talking about the batteries. I try to put enough batteries in that I have enough Amps to cover all the motor's requirments. For this bot I needed 98.5 Amps when I added all the motor's amperage's up. (66.5 + 16 + 16)
Is the right way to be doing things or did I do a bad?

Last Rites
2x NPC-T64
1x Perm 132

Last Rites

Last Rites Interior
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:12:01 AM by Absolarix »
The Absol of robotics.

Offline senstro

• Very dead
  • Beetleweight
  • Keep calm and don't lose your head.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Graystripe01's DSL Showcase
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 08:27:29 PM »
That is a realy nice lay out of the post however there a re a few flaws in your battery's, For last rites it only needs 3 ant battery's as there is something wrong with the coding meaning that spin moters only need 1 ant to power them. But snappers need the full amount said in there description.
I might be some time.

Offline Absolarix

• Antweight
  • The Absol of robotics.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 09:01:10 PM »
That is a realy nice lay out of the post however there a re a few flaws in your battery's, For last rites it only needs 3 ant battery's as there is something wrong with the coding meaning that spin moters only need 1 ant to power them. But snappers need the full amount said in there description.

Thank you very much.
Wow! So 1 Ant Battery per spin motor?
The Absol of robotics.

Offline senstro

• Very dead
  • Beetleweight
  • Keep calm and don't lose your head.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 09:02:23 PM »
Wow! So 1 Ant Battery per spin motor?

Yup.
I might be some time.

Offline Absolarix

• Antweight
  • The Absol of robotics.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 09:34:58 PM »

Yup.

Okay, thank you. I will do that.
The Absol of robotics.

Offline Absolarix

• Antweight
  • The Absol of robotics.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Absolarix's DSL Showcase
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 09:35:02 PM »

Aragon

So I've made a gyroscopic monster that will surely flip itself over if I don't spin the weapon up gradually, and it absolutely destroys the DSL 2 bots if I can get under them. However, that's the problem. I've not had much luck at all getting the skirts to work in my favour with any of my bots. Could someone help me out with getting under other's robots? This goes for all of my creations.

This robot can self-right by using the gyroscopic forces of the main weapon to flip it around, though is not 100% reliable.

Aragon's Components
2x NPC-T64
2x Perm 132 EL
5x Ant Battery (some are glitched together)
1x ax2550 Robot Control Unit

The two discs are fully loaded with hypno teeth and can spin upwards or downwards.
Robot is capable of self-righting.

Aragon

Aragon's Interior

Azide

I've been trying to make a bot the works similar to Biohazard, but it hasn't been going too great. Azide isn't my best robot, but it works decently well. I'm more or less putting this here just to see if there's anything I'm doing wrong or if there are things that can be greatly improved with it,or if the idea is just not something that can be done.

I can use the flipper in three different ways. I can use both sets of snappers at once, or each set individually, as shown below.

This robot can self-right by using the top half of the flipping arm individually. (see picture 3 in the 2nd "Click" spoiler)

Azide's Components
2x NPC-T64
4x MagSnapper
2x Ant Battery (glitched together)
11x BattlePack Battery (maybe more, some are glitched together)

Azide

Azide's Interior

Zaron V

This is my most successful bot yet, and the one that I've had the most luck with getting underneath other DSL bots. It's also the only bot I've turned into an AI bot (though the AI is outdated). Like Azide, I can use Zaron's two weapons together or separately.

In battle, if I can't get underneath an enemy robot with the front of those huge frontal skirts, I can use the edges of them to go around the side of the opposing robot and try to get underneath it that way instead.

This robot can self-right by using the flipping arms.

Zaron V's Components
4x MagSnapper
2x NPC-T64
2x Ant Battery
5x Battlepack Battery (some are glitched together)

Zaron V

Zaron V's Interior

The Absol of robotics.

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 09:37:20 PM »
I like the second one. (if u want feedback sorry cause i know squat about dsl  :smile:)

Offline Absolarix

• Antweight
  • The Absol of robotics.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 09:41:17 PM »
I like the second one. (if u want feedback sorry cause i know squat about dsl  :smile:)

Thanks.

I am looking for feedback, but even compliments like yours here are welcome.

Edit: I just witnessed your profile change when I posted this reply. xD At least I think I did.

2nd Edit: Does your profile change everytime you load the page or something? o_O
The Absol of robotics.

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 09:46:21 PM »

Thanks.

I am looking for feedback, but even compliments like yours here are welcome.

Edit: I just witnessed your profile change when I posted this reply. xD At least I think I did.

2nd Edit: Does your profile change everytime you load the page or something? o_O
Okay, I'm sure the DSL builders will give you feedback :)
and yes, i has a fancy sig and avatar rotator :D

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm bad at DSL-S) but I don't think that Zaron V would be legal since the razors intersect the entire flipper. I'm liking Azide though, looks interesting.
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline Absolarix

• Antweight
  • The Absol of robotics.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 10:05:48 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm bad at DSL-S) but I don't think that Zaron V would be legal since the razors intersect the entire flipper. I'm liking Azide though, looks interesting.

I'm not one for tournaments, so I'm not exactly worried about that.

Thank you for the heads up though.

And thank you for the interest in Azide.
The Absol of robotics.

Offline rnifnuf

• Forum Linguist
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Proponent of competitive sonnet improvisation
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 10:23:54 PM »
It is worth noting that mag snappers are ripoffs, because they are heavier and hungrier than BSGs but are no more powerful. For Azide, switch to using BSG bursts. For Zaron, ditch the separate srimech and use small JX bursts. This will make self-righting easier for Zaron with only two burst motors, but the wedge may need to be shortened. After that, use skirt hinge extenders (in a drop-down menu with the skirt hinges) on the slope and attach some angled skirts. This way, there will be five skirts in a row on the slope instead of three. This will also make Zaron wider, protecting it from horizontal spinners.

As for Aragon, there are a few things to fix. First, unstack the batteries, because this is illegal in DSL. Second, improve the wedges--the trick is to only attach skirts to the middle if it is to be used to get under another robot. Use two skirt hinges, side-by-side, if necessary. Next, switch out the Techno wheels for something else (Vladiator wheels should be sufficient). This will save lots of weight, which should be used on making better (read: longer) supports. This should help to reduce the gyro dancing problem, which all spinners suffer from to some extent.
Follow me on Twitter? I'd like to see you try!

Stock Showcase     DSL Showcase     Ironforge Showcase

Offline Absolarix

• Antweight
  • The Absol of robotics.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 10:51:10 PM »
It is worth noting that mag snappers are ripoffs, because they are heavier and hungrier than BSGs but are no more powerful. For Azide, switch to using BSG bursts. For Zaron, ditch the separate srimech and use small JX bursts. This will make self-righting easier for Zaron with only two burst motors, but the wedge may need to be shortened. After that, use skirt hinge extenders (in a drop-down menu with the skirt hinges) on the slope and attach some angled skirts. This way, there will be five skirts in a row on the slope instead of three. This will also make Zaron wider, protecting it from horizontal spinners.

As for Aragon, there are a few things to fix. First, unstack the batteries, because this is illegal in DSL. Second, improve the wedges--the trick is to only attach skirts to the middle if it is to be used to get under another robot. Use two skirt hinges, side-by-side, if necessary. Next, switch out the Techno wheels for something else (Vladiator wheels should be sufficient). This will save lots of weight, which should be used on making better (read: longer) supports. This should help to reduce the gyro dancing problem, which all spinners suffer from to some extent.

I'm not one for tournaments, so I won't bother dealing with rules about stacking batteries. I'm just in it for the fun of it, so I don't see a point in following the rules of tournament that I won't enter anyway. Unless you have another reasoning of this that I should know about.

Aragon:
I think I might have to redo the chassis to do two skirts in the middle, because I don't want some strange back stink-like thing sticking out the side of the robot.
And if I have to make an entire new chassis, then I think that I may just make Aragon II with all of your suggestions.

Azide:
Will do. I'll also do the double skirt thing as well. Any suggestions for the wheel guards?
And do you have any suggestions about how I should make a better Gyro Support? I'm afraid making huge sticks out the side longer than the poly-sticks I have on there now will just become a liability.
This robot also has a massive tendency of leaning forwards which I hope there is some way I could fix, but I'm uncertain that there is a way to do that.

Zaron V:
If a new chassis is required, I think this may mark the end of Zaron V and on comes Zaron VI. Because I would also like to add wheel guards to this robot if I can.
Your idea about stacking the skirts confuses me a little, and I'm worried that will cause problems with me getting underneath opponents. I also don't want to get rid of the flipper entirely, as it has helped me out in many occasions for throwing other bots into arena hazards.
The Absol of robotics.