13 (52%)
Yes, a 1.5x buff
7 (28%)
Yes, a 1.25x buff
3 (12%)
No buff at all
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: DSL 2.3 - JX Bursts  (Read 1588 times)

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
DSL 2.3 - JX Bursts
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:02:49 AM »
It's been a topic in the GTM Discord as of late that the JX Bursts need some sort of buff in order to be stay relevant in the current meta. What with me reworking the collision mesh, I could also rework the stats... So, the question is, do you guys think the JX Burst needs a buff?

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: DSL 2.3 - JX Bursts
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 03:46:15 PM »
remove them/hide them and have something else replace them or just not have them at all since they are ugly tbh

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 11:48:33 PM »
I don't think it's as simple as a 1.5x buff, 2x buff, etc.

The way the burst motors are balanced, it integrates speed and power (both for firing and retracting), battery drain, and HP.

JX bursts are balanced for stronger retraction, less battery drain, and higher HP, which means less firing power.  Which is probably the reason they are considered less good.  I thought balancing the motors this way would make them useful for hammers, while the VDMA's are better for flippers, but it seems the VDMA's may just be better for everything.

I would suggest tweaking the balance more toward firing speed/power and adjusting battery drain or HP accordingly, rather than a flat buff, which could end up making them overpowered.

You know what, I really need to send you my balancing spreadsheet.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline courthousedoc

• Derpasaurus Rex
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • AKA Okamifan1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • A Taste of Deco
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Okamifan1 #2120
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 06:47:16 PM »
Yes they really do need a buff, for their size they are quite weak, I rarely saw people use them anymore last time I was here so I say it would not hurt to give it a bit of a buff.
Let me tell you something I learned through life... The weakest link in the chain isn't always the failure point.
Steam:
Tournament History:
My Showcases:

Offline freeziez

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • He's Mr. White Christmas, he's Mr. Snow...
    • youtube.com/freeziezGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »

The way the burst motors are balanced, it integrates speed and power (both for firing and retracting), battery drain, and HP.

JX bursts are balanced for stronger retraction, less battery drain, and higher HP, which means less firing power.  Which is probably the reason they are considered less good.  I thought balancing the motors this way would make them useful for hammers, while the VDMA's are better for flippers, but it seems the VDMA's may just be better for everything.

I would suggest tweaking the balance more toward firing speed/power and adjusting battery drain or HP accordingly, rather than a flat buff, which could end up making them overpowered.

since click knows what he's talking about, i'll add this on:

we shouldn't be rushing to balance things without a good understanding of how they work or we'll just screw up things in another way
obligatory battlebots 5 comment

GTM Awards 2011

Best Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)
Best New Tournament Host: freeziez
Most Suprising Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 08:33:39 PM »

since click knows what he's talking about, i'll add this on:

we shouldn't be rushing to balance things without a good understanding of how they work or we'll just screw up things in another way
Amen.

Offline Jimxorb

• Rep: 0
  • The 'x' is lower case
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 02:25:45 PM »
What does JX stand for?
Team UK - United To The End