Author Topic: Thoughts about the Stock AI Bots  (Read 2792 times)

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Thoughts about the Stock AI Bots
« on: April 30, 2016, 05:16:44 PM »
Edit: After seeing how well received this post is(instead of it being like "u wat m8, stock socks" I might as well say my thoughts on it:

Personally I would've liked it more if there were more stock robots around, of course with better working mechanics and all, but I'm personally not much of a fan of "glitch bot" like robots that are just full of weapons(see industrial coal miner's triple disc setup) or generally DSL's robots where it's "put metal sheets everywhere now no wedge can't get under it" "put defense plates everywhere" however in a way it's quite hard to do that as RA2's system just seems to have certain flaws.

I think the biggest issue here is that the chassis is your health meter instead of the actual components, the chassis is the most fragile part that people need to protect instead of it being the main frame that gives your robot the unique shape and place to fit your components in.
In the end it probably would've been better if each of the sides of the chassis had it's own health and a really high fracture, so that heavy spinners could still rip off sides, and if the components took more damage/were what caused you to lose.
Then again I wonder if a really high chassis hp health value and low component health would make that somewhat possible.
On the other hand, DSL's robots don't exactly seem to be the standard as I've seen a lot more normal interesting stuff in tournaments.

Another issue is flippers, the game doesn't really seem to be built for that, would've been really nice if you actually got points for ramming/flipping or staying immobile(while the other robot was having trouble to move) instead of just points based on damage, so in short I would've liked it more if this was realistic but I can see why it's hard to implement all that.

Original Post:
Yes, exactly what the title says, write your thoughts about one, multiple or even all stock ai bots(we'll include the rookies team as well as import bots), no this is not a joke thread.

Will write my opinion on it later as I'd like to see how this thread first turns out.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 01:26:22 PM by R01 »
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Thoughts about the Stock AI Bots
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 05:26:39 PM »
they all suck and are poorly ai'd.

serious talk i think saber teeth and little metal friend have interesting designs that could be expanded upon if the .py was improved.

and i admit the skins are pretty nice
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 05:28:59 PM »
Emergency taught us that ramplates do damage and heavy bots have good wedges.

And also that your bot better be invertible
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Silverfish

• The Hardest Part of Ending is Starting Again
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Welcome to the quiet before the storm hits...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 05:45:38 PM »
And also that your bot better be invertible

Or that you are a popup, so you can kill emergency while upside down...

Anyway, LMF has some pretty interesting ai stuff... I wonder why its strategy wasn't made as its own py.
Tourney stuffs:

"We need a new way to defeat them... Something they haven't seen. Something... no one... has ever seen..."
-Gelorum, Acceleracers: Ignition

Youtube(cuz I can't use the normal link): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8zJZecbrpqiZK2eLnKLAA

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 05:51:38 PM »
hanky panky is hilarious.

coal miner is actually better than a lot of peoples first bots

bear is awesome cause they made bear claws which are great.

the rest are useless
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Silverfish

• Super Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 05:53:27 PM »
hanky panky is hilarious.

coal miner is actually better than a lot of peoples first bots

bear is awesome cause they made bear claws which are great.

the rest are useless

Well, if you're new, JACKPOT!, Stinger, and Tornado are all annoying.
Tourney stuffs:

"We need a new way to defeat them... Something they haven't seen. Something... no one... has ever seen..."

Youtube(cuz I can't use the normal link): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8zJZecbrpqiZK2eLnKLAA

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 06:38:17 PM »
I remember EMERGENCY and Coal Miner being the hardest for me to beat when I first played.  Seeing them get knocked out of the tournament bracket early was always a blessing.

Of course, I only built HWs, so I never really saw the other bots much.

Offline Scorpio

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 07:47:10 PM »
*storytime incoming*

When I first played RA2 (Even before I got on the forums, I was about 10), I had a major, MAJOR case of n00b (specifically, I didn't know how to attach my controls to my bots, so I was constantly frustrated when my bots wouldn't move), so I just ended up using C.R.U.S.H all the time. Thus, instead of EMERGENCY, my early AI bogeymen were the likes of ALARM, The Boxer, and Tornado.

Also, I've grown attached to Coal Miner; something about the bot just clicks with me. Plus, he probs would have been better if he had a proper motor powering that facespinner of his. I think when RA3 comes out I'm gonna remake him in it along with Barbershop Chop, if the game hasn't already.

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 08:15:41 PM »
JACKPOT! has smartzone.

Offline Joelu Of Eagleland

• Supreme Dorifuto Warrior; Speed Speed Lover, Game's Not Over
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • https://www.facebook.com/
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: I'M GONNA STEP ON THE GAS
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 08:17:24 PM »
The only one that ever screwed me over was EMERGENCY. And even then, he didn't screw me over that much because I rarely built Heavyweights; I much preferred the lighter weight classes due to their designs not looking like they had all manner of parts put on them just for them to be competitive.

The reason why the AI bots didn't give me trouble was because I had DSL prior to stock, giving me a jumpstart in building experience. I never really built anything in DSL... I just messed about with the replicas. I do remember also messing about with the DSL AI bots, so I had a good understanding of what worked for a design and what didn't.

Yet somehow...
(Image removed from quote.)
That abomination was the first bot I shared with the GTM community. Actual first bot was Wings of Fire. Bad entry to GTM aside, though, only EMERGENCY screwed me over regularly. I think Tornado screwed me over a fair bit too, to an extent, but not enough to warrant it being my kryptonite.

Looking at them now, it's almost bizarre that whoever made the original bots made them so weak (with the exception of EMERGENCY...)

(Image taken from the GTPlanet forums (Gran Turismo forums) which I am actually NOT on. I'll join sometime soon, though.)
(You can find me on the Wangan Midnight Expressway forums as well as GTM: http://wmexpressway.net/index.php?showuser=10331)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tournament Stats

Entered:

Fight W/L Record: 4-5
Set W/L Record: 1-2

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 09:44:16 PM »
Coal Miner's hardness for n00b me was the reason I was so obsessed with facespinners.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 04:22:00 AM »
ronin and lil'dog were annoying.

berserker and tempest and coal miner were actually dangerous for stock ai level.

I liked raptor quite a bit. It was pretty good for stock ai.

Stinger was one of the better built bots but it had only one razor, and not invertible.

Offline Virus Bomb

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »
always hated fighting raptor and coal miner.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 01:37:46 PM »
Updated the main post to share some of my thoughts, thanks for all the replies and it's nice to see that people still remember and like some stock bots.

We all know that armor was nerfed close to launch of RA2, but it makes me wonder if certain components(especially burst motors) were nerfed as well.

I took the time to write a short thought of every Stock Robot, I know that not everyone's interested in reading a big wall of text like that, so best to only check out the teams/bots that you really want to. Keep in mind, when I say "good" I mean for Stock level and with the original intentions of HP Zteks taking more power.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 05:09:10 PM »
coal miner is probably actually the best hw

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Scorpio

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »
@R01: I think the DSL team renamed Tornado "Tempest" because there's already a rather famous robot called Tornado in Robot Wars.

BTW, I believe I remember Iceberg and Bushido giving me trouble back when I played as C.R.U.S.H., but less so than the three I already mentioned.

Offline Silverfish

• Super Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 08:49:53 PM »
*storytime incoming*

When I first played RA2 (Even before I got on the forums, I was about 10), I had a major, MAJOR case of n00b (specifically, I didn't know how to attach my controls to my bots, so I was constantly frustrated when my bots wouldn't move), so I just ended up using C.R.U.S.H all the time. Thus, instead of EMERGENCY, my early AI bogeymen were the likes of ALARM, The Boxer, and Tornado.

Also, I've grown attached to Coal Miner; something about the bot just clicks with me. Plus, he probs would have been better if he had a proper motor powering that facespinner of his. I think when RA3 comes out I'm gonna remake him in it along with Barbershop Chop, if the game hasn't already.

Woah... Pretty much my life story in RA2, except I had no problem with ALARM/Boxer.
Tourney stuffs: