5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 314155 times)

Offline frezal

• Pronouns: any
  • Rep: 5
  • I am all eyes
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Oh, she’s on Instagram!
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: shelly.burger#9497
Re: Robot Arena 3
« Reply #1500 on: May 28, 2016, 09:25:26 PM »
First ACAMS, and now RFS?

Fuking hell... Everyone is coming out of the woodwork to relive the days of RA2, with this game.

Incredible.
That was my goal. With the game being in such a crummy state, I'm thinking it might be best to just wait. (Maybe I'll reinstall RA2.)
Destroy your lives, on purpose!

Offline mean2u

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1501 on: May 28, 2016, 10:33:46 PM »
The game is trash right now but it's worth it for the nostalgia

Offline Scorpio

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1502 on: May 29, 2016, 03:29:58 AM »
I'm personally thinking of holding off until right before the sale ends because cheapskate, then waiting to see what the devs do before I get too much into it.

Hopefully they can fix it; if not, refund.

Offline Tashic

« Reply #1503 on: May 29, 2016, 07:03:56 AM »
I didn't purchase the game, but here's my opinion on this:
The game at the current state is nowhere near finished, but if they are able to make it to RA2 level, I feel the modding community can expand the possibilities of the game immensely, kind of like KSP, and like that game over time ideas of modders can be implemented into the base game.

That's if the developers still care for the game.
The thing I didn't like the most of this mess, is that they said the game was almost finished.

That said, I would like to try to make something in unity as well, after I finish these BS school exams.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1504 on: May 29, 2016, 07:20:20 AM »
the actual good thing about RA3 is that it brought all the old members and veterans.

however, it brought them and broke dreams, so...

Offline MAD Scientist

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1505 on: May 29, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »
First ACAMS, and now RFS?

Fuking hell... Everyone is coming out of the woodwork to relive the days of RA2, with this game.

Incredible.
That was my goal. With the game being in such a crummy state, I'm thinking it might be best to just wait. (Maybe I'll reinstall RA2.)

I'm in the same boat..

I have sat back and watched the abomination called RA3 rolled out to well deserved thumbs down across the board. The developers should literally be ashamed of themselves for "releasing" this "thing". I wouldn't be NEARLY as upset if the devs were not actively asking questions and interacting with this forum/userbase. They listened to NOTHING that was suggested and in all actually took elements away from the previous release that actually made it worth playing. This "game" (if you even want to call it that) is an utter embarrassment to the franchise and I HIGHLY doubt they will bother fixing it.

All they had to do was simple.... Take RA2, enhance graphics engine, add weapons and other components and make a more intuitive multiplayer matchmaking system. Done, finished, great game.

/rant

Anyways I was hopeful that this game would rejuvenate the RA community, unfortunately I have no desire to "endure" this release, it is more frustrating than enjoyable in it's current state.

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1506 on: May 29, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
Well, i guess we still at least have RA2 and the couple TC mods for it like IF and DSL 2.2, but this thing is still a kick in the balls for anyone having hope in this return of the RA series
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768

Offline MAD Scientist

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1507 on: May 29, 2016, 10:22:40 AM »
but this thing is still a kick in the balls for anyone having hope in this return of the RA series
Consider my balls thoroughly kicked.

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1508 on: May 29, 2016, 10:51:54 AM »
All these veterans gathering around..

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #1509 on: May 29, 2016, 11:00:03 AM »
Roll up, roll up! Get your pitchforks here! We've got pitchforks, we've got torches, we've got everything required to burn a small budget studio to the ground! Gather 'round, everybody!

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #1510 on: May 29, 2016, 11:20:53 AM »
Honestly, I still don't see how RA3 being "Haxmode, but even crazier" is a bad thing.
If anything, it opens it more freedom/etc to what you can/can't do.

Offline frezal

• Pronouns: any
  • I am all eyes
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Oh, she’s on Instagram!
    • Awards
  • Discord: shelly.burger#9497
« Reply #1511 on: May 29, 2016, 01:07:09 PM »
Roll up, roll up! Get your pitchforks here! We've got pitchforks, we've got torches, we've got everything required to burn a small budget studio to the ground! Gather 'round, everybody!
I think most people want this thing to be good and for Gabriel, inc. to do well. If they released this saying, "We're going to need some more time to get this game right, but here's a glimpse of what we're trying to achieve," the response wouldn't be overwhelmingly negative. The criticism would be constructive instead of rants.

As it stands, they presented the game as a finished product with some minor bugs. That clearly isn't the case if such basic things like wedges aren't possible.
Destroy your lives, on purpose!

Offline MAD Scientist

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1512 on: May 29, 2016, 01:31:50 PM »
I think most people want this thing to be good and for Gabriel, inc. to do well. If they released this saying, "We're going to need some more time to get this game right, but here's a glimpse of what we're trying to achieve," the response wouldn't be overwhelmingly negative. The criticism would be constructive instead of rants.

As it stands, they presented the game as a finished product with some minor bugs. That clearly isn't the case if such basic things like wedges aren't possible.
Bottom line is they shouldn't have put a release date on it. The cardinal rule of developing any product and bringing it to market is: You only get 1 chance to make a first impression.

Considering how many people likely got refunds and the crushingly negative reviews I think this may be a hole too deep to dig out of for this developer. they would have been MUCH better off building a beta version and releasing it to a handful of the great members of this group to dissect. Instead they cobbled together a bucket of "meh" and now the reviews will forever be a scarlet letter on this corner of the steam store, even if they actually fix the game they can't make those reviews and negative scores go away. This misstep is solely on them, there is NO WAY that they thought that that this would be a "passible" build, it's legitimately unplayable.     

Offline Vincent

• Antweight
  • Rep: 1
  • DSL2's UI/Logo Artist. Better known as: Nacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1513 on: May 29, 2016, 01:37:13 PM »
I  think the saddest part about what happening here is this forum turned into rotten pile while I've been gone in the last 10 years.

A lot of people here really do not understand how game development work.    They had 6 months (more or less) to work on it... what did you expect?  AAA quality game?   Those take 4-6 years with plenty budget to go around, not often announced till 3-6 months before release date.

To be fair...  starting from the ground up with Unity 5 in a complete new code in 6 months isn't actually too bad for what they got at the moment.   Yes, it still does need more work to be done.   Should have they released it as Early Access?  I don't know... I don't even know anything about their business perspective or what's going on with their finance budget. They could be gambling on short budget with same typical pressure from their brand-new publisher company.

But this forum... I'm done.  I don't want to be around anymore.  Things aren't the same anymore. It's no longer a good place for modders.
Where did I go?   Everywhere else. There's a world out there.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1514 on: May 29, 2016, 01:57:11 PM »
But this forum... I'm done.  I don't want to be around anymore.  Things aren't the same anymore. It's no longer a good place for modders.
I highly doubt the reaction would have been any different way back when. It's an expected reaction from the very community that wanted the game the most. We're complaining because it's bad, we don't care that they had a short time to do it in.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1515 on: May 29, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »
what did you expect?  AAA quality game?
I expected something that was at least in a playable state. :dumb) :dumb) :dumb)

To be fair...  starting from the ground up with Unity 5 in a complete new code in 6 months isn't actually too bad for what they got at the moment.
Maybe they should have spent more than 6 months developing it. What were they doing from May 8th or so (when robotarena.com was changed for RA3's announcement) until the last 6 months of limbo?
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline MAD Scientist

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1516 on: May 29, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »
what did you expect?  AAA quality game?
:dumb)
The irony of using the icon resembling a 30+ year old game that is more playable than the game we are discussing. +5 internets #pacman

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #1517 on: May 29, 2016, 03:24:14 PM »
I  think the saddest part about what happening here is this forum turned into rotten pile while I've been gone in the last 10 years.

Well thanks, us guys that have kept this place going really appreciate your kind words :P
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1518 on: May 29, 2016, 03:27:41 PM »
Maybe they should have spent more than 6 months developing it. What were they doing from May 8th or so (when robotarena.com was changed for RA3's announcement) until the last 6 months of limbo?
They were drawing all that cool concept art man
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #1519 on: May 29, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »
They were drawing all that cool concept art man

I wish I could upvote, because damn that deserves one.

But, yeah, here's my theory:-

They cobbled together this "game" to cash-in on the boom in popularity of robotic combat. I mean, robocraft is well liked, RW and BB are coming back- it makes sense, doesn't it? Sadly, they don't realise how steam works, and if they release a sh**e game, they cant just take the money and run. I am really, really ashamed at this. Why the hell would you lie so badly just to excite the main fanbase, and then crush them by releasing this tumor of a game? (that might be a bit harsh, but whatevs :P)