5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 314153 times)

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Still can't make robots after 20 years.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Mr.Kinch
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #1380 on: May 26, 2016, 02:05:36 PM »
Anybody care to thoroughly explain why they didn't like it? Most comments are just calling it "bad" and "a pain" which don't really give much information as to what the issue is.

I think it is VERY IMPORTANT for us, the Robot Arena community, to give concrete constructive criticisms to the devs rather than dismiss thr game outright. We can help turn the game into what we all hoped for and the devs themselves will benefit from our criticism.

Right. Here:

And that's only the start of the problems.

Offline LiNcK

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • 8linck8
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1381 on: May 26, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »
Anybody care to thoroughly explain why they didn't like it? Most comments are just calling it "bad" and "a pain" which don't really give much information as to what the issue is.

I think it is VERY IMPORTANT for us, the Robot Arena community, to give concrete constructive criticisms to the devs rather than dismiss thr game outright. We can help turn the game into what we all hoped for and the devs themselves will benefit from our criticism.

You can't build properly in it.

Not everything is bad, there ARE some new nice features but it is overshadowed by the bad UI and design decisions at the moment.

Like whenever I placed a ztek it put them halfway through the chassis, chassis making is far more complicated and the benefits of the new system are low compared to the drawbacks, for some reason it places components on a grid and THEN you can move them with some ui (and you never succeed in placing them symmetrically, at opposite 180° rotations or at the same height)

literally RA2 as it is is far superior. maybe they will improve their game, right now it's unplayable unless you have lots and lots of patience.

Thats something right there. Let's compile our thoughts in a rational and articulate manner and give them to thr devs. Who knows, maybe they do agree with you and change the chassis making system, no?

Rust was also horrible at first but radically changed its direction and now its pretty good; one of the better survival games in fact.

Its day 1 guys, and the game sucks, sure, but maybe some probpems came up just now? IIRC they had 2 player online working so maybe that just broke now. That can be salvaged in a but of time. Its the first itteration of an unfinished game, let's not expect a RA2 killer. if we called every toddler that got 5x7 wrong retarded and didnt help them I don't think they'd ever improve their math skills.

Offline Jules

• Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1382 on: May 26, 2016, 02:12:31 PM »

Have you played the game?
Not being sarcastic. I honestly don't know.

You don't have any complaints???

Haven't played it but I never planned to buy it day 1 anyways since I haven't been interested in RA2 since 2010. I'm just here for the RA3 release and might leave again soon TBH.

I'm just saying that this is a chance to vreate RA3. Sure the game is bad now but every game at some stage of development is this bad, they just happened to release it (on early access) at this stage. What I'm saying is let's try to help and push the devs to continue development and get it to a good stage, ratger than dismiss the game, discourage the devs, and lose thr opportunity.

Be helpful not hateful.

Switching the game to early access a few days before release is wrong. We all know that. They claimed it was only to fix the 4 player online multiplayer.

That should he the least of their worries

These are obvious problems....
You can place components wherever you want.
There are no weightclasses.
You can't easily rotate components.
The skinning is atrocious. - I applied a diamond plate and it stretched it ridiculously

Edit: my point is- these are problems that they are clearly aware of. They didn't care to fix them.

Offline Qu4dro

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1383 on: May 26, 2016, 02:14:31 PM »
Hi everyone. Long-time RA2'er from back in the AceUplink days here. I've been keeping tabs on RA3 since its announcement, and jumped in as soon as I got the email that it was available. I wasn't sure if it would run on my 2013 Macbook Pro in VMware Fusion, but I'm glad to say that it works pretty well!

I wanted to share a quick-tip I discovered that may help those having trouble getting tank steering to work:
- You can rotate a component after you place it by left-clicking on the component itself and dragging side-to-side. This is much more accurate than using the spin buttons in the UI. I have not found a similar way to adjust component height.
- Make sure you have batteries and a control board. I made this mistake at first :)
- Make sure the bottom of your wheels go under your chassis. Seems like an easy thing to miss.

My initial reactions are very mixed. Obviously a lot of things in the Bot Lab are broken, but there are some immediate improvements I noticed. The ability to reposition an entire component chain being my favorite so far. The lack of a component chaining limit will also lead to some interesting designs.

The actual combat itself is so far very underwhelming. The biggest flaw I've noticed so far is that your collision mesh doesn't appear to match your display mesh! That is to say, if you wedge your chassis, your collision mesh doesn't follow suit, rendering wedge designs all but impossible. Maybe I'm wrong, but I had no luck getting anything to roll up on my wedge.

I feel like this game has a lot of potential, and there's (hopefully) some low-hanging bugs that can be fixed to lead to a more entertaining game. Hopefully the Devs will hear our voices and put some more work into polishing the game up.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1384 on: May 26, 2016, 02:21:48 PM »
alright guys.
I know the game is bad.
The devs know we don't like it.
But I am willing to give them a chance to see what they can do to the thing that is there now. maybe I am alone with this but still. I think I will get my refund but when the game will improve and will show that it is better then ra2 I am willing to say "screw the 5€ for the release week and spend them on a good sequel to ra2"

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1385 on: May 26, 2016, 02:27:27 PM »
Yeah - This isn't a wash. We just have to support them.

Apparently they plan to have Edge Lines in the game eventually - in the custom folders in the RobotArena3 folder in My Documents it's one of the folders you can put your png/jpegs in. (Decals, skins and edge lines)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1386 on: May 26, 2016, 02:58:19 PM »
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline LiNcK

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • 8linck8
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1387 on: May 26, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »
The skinning is atrocious. - I applied a diamond plate and it stretched it ridiculously

Let's not forget that we come from a game where skinning natively looks like this:

There's definitely an argument to be made that RA2 is old as hell and RA3, being a 2016 game, should at least get that right, but hey... RA2 didn't really do too good a job either even after being finished.
Note your complaints in the official feedback thread and/or bug report threads and we'll see if the devs care enough to fix these issues. Hopefully they will.

Also, does anyone know about any videos of RA3 gameplay? I wasn't available to see the streams and pretty much all of you have the Save past broadcasts option on Twitch off so there's basically nothing out there.

Offline Jules

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1388 on: May 26, 2016, 03:17:16 PM »
Holy mother of Christ.
One of this games most anticipated features (fancy chassis) is complete BS and literally faked.

When you make a wedge bot it only looks like a wedge. It still has the collision mesh of a box.
Absolute joke.

Oh, and here's the current skinning. Just look at that diamond plate!

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1389 on: May 26, 2016, 03:19:44 PM »
It's me again.

I just wanted to ask you guys to maybe overthink the reviews and refunds of this. Maybe Steam is going to be not that nice to em because of that and they might not get a chance to make it better if this gets pulled of steam. They are a very small team of devs and lets not forgett this is not a tribble A titel. I know many of you are angry about the current state. Just rethink your actions and what they can leed to.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1390 on: May 26, 2016, 03:21:35 PM »
RA2's only real issue with skinning was resolution - you can have all of these fancypants decals like in DSL but you're still working with a 256x256 canvas, divided into even smaller chunks. If you're good with image editors you can just use the bitmap exporter and go to town - and as it turned out we could inject bigger chassis textures into bot files if we so wanted. There's no warping of the kind you see in RA3 right now. It just needs work.

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #1391 on: May 26, 2016, 03:29:14 PM »
I would just like to remind the GTM community that you are essentially the only reason that Robot Arena 3 exists. The fact that we've been holding on for so long to an abandonware game made over a decade ago, complaining to ourselves about all the cool things that would be able to happen if a third installment was made. Through all that time, we've modded the hell out of RA2 and pushed it to its limits to try and achieve those things, but this has been the efforts of a select few modders in the community. There have been a handful of alpha releases and frameworks for games teased throughout this time, but nothing substantial ever came of any of it because it was all just individual people at home, messing around with modeling and coding as a hobby.

What we have here, today, is a semi-functional, real, RA3, which is backed by an apparently very committed, but at the least a VERY REAL development team. And what they've released today is not exactly what you or I wanted, but it is a real, tangible game that has been made JUST FOR YOU. You aren't enjoying it, and they know that. They've been listening this whole time, and that alone proves that they very much want you to enjoy the game that they're making. We owe it to them to at least give them the benefit of the doubt, and help them make RA3 the experience we want it to be, and the success that they can be proud of.

Please focus your feedback into the following thread: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19013.msg701890;topicseen#new

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Garfie489

• Owner of Dystopia, Defector, and Utopia
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1392 on: May 26, 2016, 03:29:41 PM »

I just wanted to ask you guys to maybe overthink the reviews and refunds of this. Maybe Steam is going to be not that nice to em because of that and they might not get a chance to make it better if this gets pulled of steam. They are a very small team of devs and lets not forgett this is not a tribble A titel. I know many of you are angry about the current state. Just rethink your actions and what they can leed to.

Simple fact of the matter is, they shouldnt have released the game in its current state. Its obvious that its no where near, and hence they shouldnt have risked ruining their business for financial gain.

Bottom line is if you have a community, you dont take a dump on it. You need to at least justify the minimum expected standard - even if you dont hit the top potential right away.

They say only the multiplayer needs fixing, if they cant see what else is wrong then they are either lying to the community or incompetent - either ways not flattering
My three loves - Rugby, Racing, and Robotics

Offline Lemonism

• Rep: 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1393 on: May 26, 2016, 03:31:06 PM »
RA2's only real issue with skinning was resolution - you can have all of these fancypants decals like in DSL but you're still working with a 256x256 canvas, divided into even smaller chunks. If you're good with image editors you can just use the bitmap exporter and go to town - and as it turned out we could inject bigger chassis textures into bot files if we so wanted. There's no warping of the kind you see in RA3 right now. It just needs work.
Absolutely agree with this
RA3's skinning means I can't do the part of making a robot that I liked the most anymore, and it's building mechanics mean I don't enjoy the rest of making it either.
I don't think the game is beyond repair, but I'm really not happy with it's current state. Pretty much what a lot of you guys seem to be saying.
Download Mortis.py
Download some of my DSL2.2 Bots

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1394 on: May 26, 2016, 03:38:31 PM »
I don't think the game is beyond repair, but I'm really not happy with it's current state. Pretty much what a lot of you guys seem to be saying.
Basically this. It just depends on how the developers take out feedback and incorporate it into the game now.

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1395 on: May 26, 2016, 03:39:09 PM »

Simple fact of the matter is, they shouldnt have released the game in its current state. Its obvious that its no where near, and hence they shouldnt have risked ruining their business for financial gain.

Bottom line is if you have a community, you dont take a dump on it. You need to at least justify the minimum expected standard - even if you dont hit the top potential right away.

They say only the multiplayer needs fixing, if they cant see what else is wrong then they are either lying to the community or incompetent - either ways not flattering

yes they shouldn't have released a game that is in this state. But there is always a publisher behind a dev team. I don't know much about octopusstree but if you are a small team of devs there is a lot of pressure when there is a deadline...

Offline Jules

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1396 on: May 26, 2016, 03:39:42 PM »
Wedges not existing is 100% unacceptable. A fancy chassis system counts for nothing if the chassis only "looks" different.

Here's a quick video showing 2 fights. You will easily be able to see what I mean.
Sorry about the cruddy quality.

Note- at the end of the second match the bot was unresponsive.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1397 on: May 26, 2016, 03:47:32 PM »
In the second match your battery died - there's no steady decline like in the RA2, when you're out of power, you're dead.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1398 on: May 26, 2016, 03:50:11 PM »
In the second match your battery died - there's no steady decline like in the RA2, when you're out of power, you're dead.

DSL2.2 has a system like that, actually.

Offline Lemonism

• Rep: 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1399 on: May 26, 2016, 03:50:26 PM »
Wedges not existing is 100% unacceptable. A fancy chassis system counts for nothing if the chassis only "looks" different.

Here's a quick video showing 2 fights. You will easily be able to see what I mean.
Sorry about the cruddy quality.

Note- at the end of the second match the bot was unresponsive.

{snip}
Wow
I was so distracted by the building related stuff I hadn't realized how bad this was. Thanks for taking the time to make the video man
Download Mortis.py
Download some of my DSL2.2 Bots