5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 314147 times)

Offline Scorpio

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #180 on: July 02, 2015, 05:21:11 PM »
scorpio im balls deep in here and i cant say i remember. not gettin all big on you though, i am known to dissapear. much respect man. i think speaking on behalf of everybody for the sake of robot '**** your mother' arena three we can all call the hatchet buried on this specific brand of ancient history

LOL I don't blame you. Not being here for years does not make for good memory. I guess my epitome-of-13yoboy-ness tantrum is doomed to be a footnote in this community's illustrious history.

Also, I see someone's excited for RA3.

Offline Cody Furlong

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: July 02, 2015, 08:18:30 PM »
Hope they release more information about it soon.  Things I really hope they put into it, are gear and chain system, so you can transfer energy from a motor to another spot of the bot, or be able to chain up multiple motors or wheels together.  I'd like to see a more robust chasis creation too, that coveres all three planes, instead of just top and bottom. Also tracks, need to be able to have tracked robots.
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been.
You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.

- Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills

Offline ecolusian

• care to spare a chromasome for this poor sperglord?
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Keeping TRB in check since 2010
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #182 on: July 03, 2015, 05:35:22 AM »
Guys i just got in touch with the guys at Gabriel Interactive and this is the response i got!

Hi Charles,

Thank you very much for writing, and being a fan!  RA3 is a real project but we are in the very early days of Developement with only concept art and designs, nothing worth sharing just yet! If you haven't yet, please subscribe to our RA3 newsletter, we will be sharing much more in the coming months.

(Charles is my IRL name and the guy who responded was called Peter Armstrong)
 :claping
"Two things are infinite:the universe and human stupidity;and I\'m not sure about the universe" -Albert Einstein
*IF YOU ARE NEUTRAL IN THIS SIG BUSINESS PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG*

Offline toAst

• Rep: 5
  • this one goes out to all of my babies mamas
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: July 04, 2015, 12:20:46 AM »
hello peter :claping tell peter i said hello :heart_smiley:
-------------------------------
who love to party

Offline mantasx

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: July 04, 2015, 01:45:04 AM »
lets join the hype train!

Offline System32

• Rep: 4
  • Reality
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: July 04, 2015, 03:48:14 PM »
mfw the design mode is from Robot Wars.

mfw no modding.

mfw DLC weapons and decorations

mfw only able to use publisher servers

mfw servers pulled a year later

mfw DRM.

mfw journalists get an embargo

mfw **** vidya.
Put this onto your signature if you were part of this crappy fad in '03.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #186 on: July 07, 2015, 04:10:51 PM »
Real robotics chatter in here has been split off to the Robotics General Discussion Thread
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3?
« Reply #187 on: July 11, 2015, 12:41:48 AM »
This is amazing.  I now have a hard deadline to get DSL 2.2 out.

TBH, I'm thinking it is legit. That said, I could be wrong...

If you take a look at the source for the page, there is a hidden message that says "We hear you GameTechMods."

WD Encore Software, LLC, might be the company that purchased the rights to the game after ATARI went under. It looks likeir offices are in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.

Isn't Clickbeetle from Minnesota?

Yeah, Eden Prairie is like half an hour from my house.  I could go down there and spy in windows.  :gawe:  Not that it would do any good, since they're just the publisher and I doubt there's any development going on there.

I don't think a year (or less?) is enough time to build the game we all want, but I'm cautiously optimistic that it will be at least comparable to RA2 with better physics, and since some of the same people are working on it, MAYBE it will still use Python so some of my modding knowledge will transfer?

As long as my computer can run it (Intel integrated graphics  :(), I plan to buy it when it comes out.

Edit: I just thought, if they still have the source code for RA2 lying around somewhere at Gabriel, and use that as a base instead of building a new game from scratch, maybe a year is enough time?  Too much to hope for?

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2015, 07:17:32 PM »
This thread is a bizarre amalgamation of people from before my time and a whole lot of others I haven't spoken to in years. Ah, the power of the hype train.

Offline G.K.

• Rep: 10
  • Striving for a good personal text since 1994.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2015, 07:32:25 PM »
Hey R0B0! How are you doing?
My above post explains everything about everything.

Host of: Wheely Tag, Back To The Beginnings, BTTB 2, BTTB 3, BTTB 4, & BTTB V.

Heavy Metal: Champion (Mockery of the Whole Concept)
Robotic International Wars Series 1: Champion (Minifridge 6)
RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Clash Cubes IV: 5th place (Fretless)
BBEANS 6: Rumble Winner & 6th Place (Minifridge 4)

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2015, 09:43:22 PM »
scorpio im balls deep in here and i cant say i remember. not gettin all big on you though, i am known to dissapear. much respect man. i think speaking on behalf of everybody for the sake of robot '**** your mother' arena three we can all call the hatchet buried on this specific brand of ancient history

LOL I don't blame you. Not being here for years does not make for good memory. I guess my epitome-of-13yoboy-ness tantrum is doomed to be a footnote in this community's illustrious history.

Also, I see someone's excited for RA3.
Yo, are you the one Goose gave the "gay" avatar to?
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline AmericanKilljoy

• Antweight
  • Killjoy by name...not by nature.
    • AmericanKilljoy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2015, 02:12:58 AM »
When I checked the RA site today I nearly screamed out loud.  I can not fully describe how absolutely ecstatic I feel that we are, eventually (please for the love of all that is well and good, don't rush it so you can take advantage of the holiday season), finally getting a brand-spanking new Robot Arena game.  I've read through the thread and so far I see a lot of cynicism, which I can understand.  The idea of having a 3rd installment seemed bleak at best and along with so many fake RA3 "announcements"...it's no wonder everyone is a little bit skeptical about this.

It's nice to hear from the guys at Gabriel Interactive, though.  It's good to hear that they still actually do things.   :approve:

Offline Scorpio

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2015, 12:21:50 AM »

Yes, yes I am (well, the first of a few anyways). To be fair though, I was a 13 y.o.b (or 14, can't remeber, but I do know it was Junior high) at the time, and now I have much more maturity and wisdom to properly deal with such incidents.

BTW, what did happen to Goose? And many of the old guard for that matter? I know ACAMS retired but I haven't seen many of the others.

On topic though: how much would you guys bet that RA3's stock AI will be based on the 2015 BattleBots competitors, like the RA2 stocks were largely based off of contemporary robots?

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2015, 05:51:42 AM »
Well this is a welcome thing to find. Came back here after running into a site Dracophile (RFS) runs or whatever (there was a pic that interested me) and the forum link brought me back here. Read in a thread in off topic about this, and now i'm here. Awesome.

Excited about this, and the new stuff I missed in the years i've been gone.

Offline G.K.

• Rep: 10
  • Striving for a good personal text since 1994.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2015, 07:00:03 AM »
BTW, what did happen to Goose? And many of the old guard for that matter? I know ACAMS retired but I haven't seen many of the others.

Goose pops in from time, but I guess he's just busy with his life and doesn't have time for this game. Same's prolly true of lots of the old guard. You will get one or two who show up now and again, but they don't tend to stick about. eFFe and serge/megabyte did a livestream of them playing against each ofhter recently and that was cool, fo example.

On topic though: how much would you guys bet that RA3's stock AI will be based on the 2015 BattleBots competitors, like the RA2 stocks were largely based off of contemporary robots?

I'd be surprised if they weren't - I think that Battlebots' revival is probably the major reason RA3's being made.

Well this is a welcome thing to find. Came back here after running into a site Dracophile (RFS) runs or whatever (there was a pic that interested me) and the forum link brought me back here. Read in a thread in off topic about this, and now i'm here. Awesome.

Excited about this, and the new stuff I missed in the years i've been gone.

Welcome! Are you a veteran of old forums?
My above post explains everything about everything.

Host of: Wheely Tag, Back To The Beginnings, BTTB 2, BTTB 3, BTTB 4, & BTTB V.

Heavy Metal: Champion (Mockery of the Whole Concept)
Robotic International Wars Series 1: Champion (Minifridge 6)
RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Clash Cubes IV: 5th place (Fretless)
BBEANS 6: Rumble Winner & 6th Place (Minifridge 4)

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2015, 07:40:06 AM »
Welcome! Are you a veteran of old forums?
Eh. If your definition of veteran around here is "member of one of the older places like the original forums or AceUplink" then yes ^_^; though I had been banned at one point for being too young (unbanned because I had parental permission to be on the site and that was part of the under 13 requirements) and then banned later for another reason I don't think I ever got told. Stayed on AU until it disappeared, never got the full story about that but that's ok.

I've poked my head in here a couple times but never joined because the last time I poked my head in on the old forums I was instantly met with hate, even from the new guys. I think I know why more or less, but either way it didn't really make me wanna come back.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2015, 10:08:28 AM »
A lot has changed since those days. Hope you stick around and enjoy your time here. :)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2015, 10:36:16 AM »
Do plan on it, just re-installed the game and trying to learn how to make a bot again. Did anyone figure out a fix for widescreen resolutions for weird perspective issues in the bot lab or is it just better to run in windowed mode? That's also probably left to another thread so i'll keep the off topic to a minimum.

At least that should be fixed in RA3, right? :P

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2015, 10:53:13 AM »
Hopefully that means they have proper grabbers this time - there were plenty of those in Battlebots.

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: July 25, 2015, 02:41:32 PM »
Being able to puncture armor to get to the internals and accurately damage them would be a nice touch.

I'm also hoping for better driving physics. Having just played a little bit earlier I forgot just how bad everything jittered and bounced as you moved. The physics also seem a little slow and floatey. Like. Speed the current game up 2 to 2.5 times faster and slow the speeds of the motors by that much and it might at the very least look a whole lot better in the realism. Actually is there any way to do that with that new (well... it sorta came out a few years after last playing RA2 for me) console thing that could speed up the physics or the overall game? New components could be made and then just increase the round timer, and there could be something interesting there. The only problems I can really see would be the immobilization timer. Dunno if anyone's tried it, could be interesting. I know there's a way to turn off gravity, made some bots at one point that messed with that when I got my step brothers into the game.