5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 315897 times)

Offline Stigma

• Yeah, him
  • Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • I R teh bot mastah
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Rene Descartes#7925
Re: Robot Arena 3
« Reply #1620 on: June 22, 2016, 12:02:58 AM »
It needs a fair bit of work, but we have a diamond in the rough so far.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1621 on: June 22, 2016, 09:38:36 AM »
As soon as the chassis touches the ground it feels like rubber on rubber.

Dear devs. please take ra2. fix the mp. include the new chassis building system and get the UI of RA2 back. -> good game.

I tried. I really tried but I ragequite everytime and that's not what you want.

Offline goose

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1622 on: June 22, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »
The guy that releases all the press releases on steam has played RA3 for  a whole 30 min.  He likes the game a real lot. I am very bummed.

and I agree with you thyrus 100%.
sippin' on my Honeydew bubble tea.
party in my tummy. yummy, yummy.

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Over 10 years and still can't build HWs.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Andle#5961
« Reply #1623 on: June 22, 2016, 02:10:51 PM »
I honestly don't know what to make of it really. Given the circumstance of the devs and their small team I have every willingness to offer as much help as I possibly can and will happily test/play through this huge rough patch, but I kinda expect daily updates in return, be it to the game or statements to the community. I can't speak for everyone, but I need a lot of reassurance that the patience will pay off for us what with the mess it's in right now.

That said, BECAUSE of the dev situation and the dire state of the game, constant fixes and updates are probably unreasonable to expect, so I have no idea how to feel tbh.

Does the multiplayer work at all atm? I know some people seem to have got it going through private challenges, the lobby system still seems boned though.

Offline Probably Rob

• The Forgotten Obscure Orgasmic Mime
  • Rep: 10
  • You might want your lips around my silent chorus
    • RobotMPire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1624 on: June 22, 2016, 02:20:34 PM »
I haven't played the new updates, but I already hated it when it crashes on me in the botlab, like RA 2 (and DSL 2)... it's lucky that RA 2 (but DSL 2 more) is the 100% better game

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1625 on: June 22, 2016, 02:21:58 PM »
Do you even have to be a full release to be a part of steam sales? Im pretty sure I've seen games that were early access and part of the summer sale, so I'm not really sure why they would think this was a good decision.

Part of me wants to blame the publishers, but from what I've seen of Goliath, this is just RA3 and GI that are having trouble.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1626 on: June 22, 2016, 02:29:13 PM »
I haven't played the new updates, but I already hated it when it crashes on me in the botlab, like RA 2 (and DSL 2)... it's lucky that RA 2 (but DSL 2 more) is the 100% better game
The game would never crash in the botlab for me :P

Like I said in my showcase, the devs better be damn well committed to making this the best realistic robot building experience we've ever had. If they don't, there's no point in updating it at all, you just get a bland game that's no better than RA2 and probably on par with RA1. At least RA2 was broken enough for people to enjoy making what's now the norm in Stock and was easily modded to have self-imposed IRL rules and components so that we can have a nice, pseudo-realistic game, too. I actually had fun with the original version of the game, which I totally don't have anymore *cough*, due to the abominations I could make but at least they looked interesting and could be considered 'art bots'. If they update the game so that major bugs are sorted but others slip through the cracks and the engine/physics is not even on par with RA2's, then we get a very forgettable, bland game, albeit playable.

include the new chassis building system
I wouldn't point that out as if it doesn't need a bit of polish. I wish they would give the option of a 2-layer chassis because I found it a tad clunky when I just wanted a nice sloped wedge for the chassis but they may just be me. I have also seen quite a few people, including myself, build a bot facing left and not forward. RA2 had a better system in which you can change the forward heading but you're screwed in RA3. Although that isn't a problem with building the chassis itself, it's still part of that process and, IIRC, doesn't the overhead view when making a chassis point left and not forward?

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1627 on: June 22, 2016, 02:49:14 PM »
3 days before battlebots season 2.  curious timing.

2~3 days before the infamous Steam summer sales. That's their stated reason. Battlebots is a bonus I suppose.

Do you even have to be a full release to be a part of steam sales? Im pretty sure I've seen games that were early access and part of the summer sale, so I'm not really sure why they would think this was a good decision.

Well, they got exposure all over again on the Popular New Releases list. Consider it a 'double dip'

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1628 on: June 22, 2016, 03:11:26 PM »
Yes the chassis shaping system needs polish eg the thing where you can change which direction the front is.

The sad thing about all this is that the flaws RA3 has will be the reason why there wont be a RA4 wich could make all the things better. RA2 had it's flaws and they have been obvious or stated. Never change a winning team or in this case game mechanics.
I still won't give up my hope on RA3 to become a good game but it takes so much work. From the building the skinning the battlemechanics the damage system to the physics. I build a hypnodisc replica earlier today. it is so damn weak. the disc falls off almost at the first contact. same with the wheel. flipping robots feels like it is a flashgame of some sorts. all this stuff was handled so much better in this game that came out 13 years ago. 13 years guys. what happend?
And I would actually like to hear from the devs them selfs. I am on good terms with the PR guy (at least I think I am) but I would like to know what they have to say.

And I know they are not allowed to talk about it but I would like to know what role a certain tentacel plant has in all this.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1629 on: June 22, 2016, 03:53:11 PM »
Even if RA3 didn't flop, I don't really see the need for an RA4 when you can just continuously update RA3. They couldn't do that as easily with RA2. Pushing out RA4, RA5, RA69 etc would reek of Assassin't Creed-tier cashgrabbery.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1630 on: June 22, 2016, 03:55:28 PM »
Even if RA3 didn't flop, I don't really see the need for an RA4 when you can just continuously update RA3. They couldn't do that as easily with RA2. Pushing out RA4, RA5, RA69 etc would reek of Assassin't Creed-tier cashgrabbery.

this is tru but another ra game could use another engine the could fit the combat robots theme better than uniti does

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1631 on: June 22, 2016, 04:07:19 PM »
No reason someone else can't make a better robot game someday.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1632 on: June 22, 2016, 04:15:32 PM »
No reason someone else can't make a better robot game someday.
Battlebots teased about a potential new game on there Facebook page. Gonna guess that it's nothing more than hype for the new season, but anything is possible I guess.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1633 on: June 22, 2016, 04:34:39 PM »
not hyped for that. The best game with a licens like that was for the GBA and that says something

Offline MadBeaver

• Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1634 on: June 22, 2016, 04:36:57 PM »
I was enjoying it up until last night when my art bot blew up on the workbench. Now I'm afraid to pick it up again to even attempt building anything that involves more than half an hour.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #1635 on: June 22, 2016, 04:46:51 PM »
I was enjoying it up until last night when my art bot blew up on the workbench. Now I'm afraid to pick it up again to even attempt building anything that involves more than half an hour.

I feel you.

I wish they would give the option of a 2-layer chassis because I found it a tad clunky when I just wanted a nice sloped wedge for the chassis but they may just be me.

Honestly I usually end up setting the middle layer to height 0 for that.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1636 on: June 22, 2016, 11:40:41 PM »
The best game with a licens (sic) like that was for the GBA and that says something
If by "best" you mean "only", then yes. Beyond the battlebox was the only battlebots licensed game that ended up getting released.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1637 on: June 23, 2016, 02:49:20 AM »
I was talking about the Roboter wars game that had some sort of good physics

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #1638 on: June 23, 2016, 03:37:13 AM »
Extreme Destruction. Worst graphics, best physics.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1639 on: June 23, 2016, 04:05:53 AM »
i shall attempt to redownload the game and try it again, since updating seems to have been done.

i will prepare myself for disappointment