5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 316777 times)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #1300 on: May 25, 2016, 11:30:42 AM »
Definitely good news, I think it's a great compromise between meeting release deadlines and working on the game to make it the best it can be. That said, it can only be a good thing for the game if the devs do continue to work on it.

I they say they're going to be listening to community feedback and actually acting upon it. I really think they need a dedicated place for two way interaction between the devs and the community, whether that be via the steam forums, a subforum here or a section on their website, because right now we have no way of knowing if the devs are actually listening, and what parts they are listening, and the community is split between here and steam discussions.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1301 on: May 25, 2016, 12:08:52 PM »

Offline cephalopod

bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Jules

• Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1303 on: May 25, 2016, 01:35:33 PM »
The release date is now shown as the 28th on Steam.

Edit: looks like they addressed this on the Steam forums.

According to them it will release at 10 am PST (1 pm EST)

I'm excited to play and I may do some streaming. I have some fun ideas for some unique bots that may work better than they did with RA2's physics.

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #1304 on: May 25, 2016, 02:02:14 PM »
Also considering streaming if anybody's interested. I've just got no idea how to stream, so I'd want to gauge interest before I put some time into figuring out how.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1305 on: May 25, 2016, 02:15:18 PM »
Guys don't worry it's still releasing tomorrow. Steam bugged up.

Offline LiNcK

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • 8linck8
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1306 on: May 25, 2016, 02:26:35 PM »
Also considering streaming if anybody's interested. I've just got no idea how to stream, so I'd want to gauge interest before I put some time into figuring out how.

Do you have a newer (600 onwards) Nvidia card? If so you can get GeForce Experience, set it to Twitch streaming, and just press CTRL+F8 to start streaming. Just set up your resolution, FPS, and bitrate and you're done. There's also other options  like setting it to Shadowplay/Recording so you can press CTRL+F9 to start/stop a local recording or CTRL+F10 to save the last 1-5mins of gameplay. I personally have it in Shadowplay mode at all times so if I ever do anything cool in a game I have it recorded. I could literally press CTRL+F10 right now and have a recording of myself typing this comment! Most amazing thing is that there's really no performance impact either.

If you don't have a newer Nvidia card then you can get OBS. Its pretty easy to set up.

About the new information released: I'm REALLY liking it. I think the Botlab guide truly shows that the game isn't as stitched together as I first thought so I'm very glad! The game actually looks good! I take back what I said!
The part properties tab though makes me wish there was a mirror mode option so it would be easier to make "pixel perfect" bots. I can't be the only one that spends a long time trying to put my drive motors on the very last pixel it allows me to, right? Having to do it only once would be great! Mirror mode could be used for a ton of things... Most bots are symmetrical after all.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1307 on: May 25, 2016, 02:34:19 PM »
I'm using Shadowplay on my 970. Only issue is there's no separate audio channel for microphones, so in my gameplay recordings I've got people on Skype as loud as the game with me sounding like I'm 10 meters from the nearest audio recording device. Requires some keen audio balancing or using a separate program to record the microphone and sync the audio (for video making)

Offline LiNcK

• Super Heavyweight
    • 8linck8
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1308 on: May 25, 2016, 02:45:52 PM »
I'm using Shadowplay on my 970. Only issue is there's no separate audio channel for microphones, so in my gameplay recordings I've got people on Skype as loud as the game with me sounding like I'm 10 meters from the nearest audio recording device. Requires some keen audio balancing or using a separate program to record the microphone and sync the audio (for video making)

I had the exact opposite problem. On Teamspeak I sounded perfectly fine but in my recordings I sounded pretty damn loud. I solved it by basically removing all my mic settings from TS and just setting my mic up through windows so it would sound at the loudness I wanted on everything, rather than being loud everywhere and normal it in TS. Maybe your mic is just too low by default and Skype is doing its thing to make it sound good there? Skype is pretty good at just making stuff work without setting it up so I would guess it configures loudness equalization and such by itself.

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1309 on: May 25, 2016, 02:46:16 PM »
I can stream really easily.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline LiNcK

• Super Heavyweight
    • 8linck8
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1310 on: May 25, 2016, 02:48:50 PM »
I can stream really easily.

Can we have a centralized thread with all stream links and times? Looks like 3-4 people are planning on streaming and probably some more will come later. It would be nice to have all links available rather than having to dig through comments to find who is streaming when.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1311 on: May 25, 2016, 02:49:13 PM »

I had the exact opposite problem. On Teamspeak I sounded perfectly fine but in my recordings I sounded pretty damn loud. I solved it by basically removing all my mic settings from TS and just setting my mic up through windows so it would sound at the loudness I wanted on everything, rather than being loud everywhere and normal it in TS. Maybe your mic is just too low by default and Skype is doing its thing to make it sound good there? Skype is pretty good at just making stuff work without setting it up so I would guess it configures loudness equalization and such by itself.

I haven't tested it since I set the microphone to 100% and +20db on the settings (tried 100%/0 , 100%/+10db). Teamspeak is separate, while Skype fiddles with the microphone's volume setting anyway (minus the decibel boost) ... it'd help because I really can't be arsed to use Audacity and do two recordings

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #1312 on: May 25, 2016, 03:54:22 PM »
Uhh guys, this really isn't the place to discuss streaming stuff.

But anyway, while I'm really not very fond on games going into early access, I can see the reasoning on why they made that decision and perfectly understand.  I'll take their word for it when they say that it's only for a few weeks to take care of the problems that they couldn't finish.  I mean, I just hope it doesn't in early access for too long, at least, as long as games like Rust or Day Z.

Also, I've been skimming through the bot lab guide, and it seems building might not be as bad or uncomfortable as I initially thought.  Still not entirely sold on it, might need to wait tomorrow to really see if I'm right or wrong, but it seems they have some confidence in it.

Offline LiNcK

• Super Heavyweight
    • 8linck8
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1313 on: May 25, 2016, 04:32:55 PM »
Uhh guys, this really isn't the place to discuss streaming stuff.

But anyway, while I'm really not very fond on games going into early access, I can see the reasoning on why they made that decision and perfectly understand.  I'll take their word for it when they say that it's only for a few weeks to take care of the problems that they couldn't finish.  I mean, I just hope it doesn't in early access for too long, at least, as long as games like Rust or Day Z.

Also, I've been skimming through the bot lab guide, and it seems building might not be as bad or uncomfortable as I initially thought.  Still not entirely sold on it, might need to wait tomorrow to really see if I'm right or wrong, but it seems they have some confidence in it.

I don't mind the early access because its just a title. If it released without the Early Access label we would still get the same exact product. Early Access is the devs' way of saying "What you see here isn't the final product" which I think is better than "This is done" since it signals that there's more to come. Although the post they made says that its mostly because they've got issues so Early Access seems more like their way of saying "People don't judge it too harshly for now, we got some problems" rather than the standard missing features that Early Access means.

Offline Silverfish

• The Hardest Part of Ending is Starting Again
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Welcome to the quiet before the storm hits...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1314 on: May 25, 2016, 09:37:56 PM »
I can't think of a better place to post this, but I'll be up for battling sometime tomorrow evening if I can run RA3, just message me on GTM or steam. (Not totally sure if I can run RA3 lol)
Tourney stuffs:

"We need a new way to defeat them... Something they haven't seen. Something... no one... has ever seen..."
-Gelorum, Acceleracers: Ignition

Youtube(cuz I can't use the normal link): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8zJZecbrpqiZK2eLnKLAA

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #1315 on: May 25, 2016, 09:54:21 PM »
>The game is mostly complete. The major issue for now is that only two-player multiplayer will be available at launch, with four-player multiplayer coming within the next few weeks.

Theres hope for online play, huh?

Offline ACAMS

« Reply #1316 on: May 25, 2016, 10:58:24 PM »
Lightning hit my computer, BUT that is OK, it gives me excuse to supercharge it.
I also have new internet that has a lot better latency than I had, BUT STILL SUCKS!!!! ..... at least it is not way over 100ms like it was!
It should be ready Friday, but I will wait with my new solid state hard drive till I play a game or two!

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #1317 on: May 26, 2016, 03:10:58 AM »
Holy fuk, CAMSY actually came back.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1318 on: May 26, 2016, 04:50:37 AM »
Not long now...

New steam screenshots:

Botlab. Those are all connection points - The pickaxe has two on either side, plus the hubs of those wheels - if someone remembers the maces inside the wheels in a previous screenshot of this robot (Here), that's your answer. New components visible too - the arm blade, razor blade and a different looking axehead.

Low resolution battle screenshot in the subway. This is the second time one's shown up. But whatever the disc on that robot is, it looks badass.

Battle screenshot in the warehouse. BOT CHOY and EMERGENCY in the match again - but this time we get a proper look at their take on the notorious flipper.

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #1319 on: May 26, 2016, 04:57:42 AM »
Emergency baby version.