Author Topic: Perfect Wedges  (Read 1856 times)

Offline ReeceIW

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Perfect Wedges
« on: September 06, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »
Hi can someone tell me how to create perfect wedge designs in RA2 please, because I'm having difficulty trying to do it and I want to make a 2004 roaming robots event in DSL2.2.

Can someone tell me how to skin components too, I'll be extremely grateful

Thanks

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Perfect Wedges
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 09:42:01 AM »
Got an idea or photos of what you're talking about?

If you're talking about seamless chassis wedges instead of component ones, theres a program called OBJRA2 that allows you to make a bot chassis from a 3d model. It should be under the downloads section and a rough tutorial for it is somewhere under the tutorials section if I recall correctly.

If you're talking about nice wedges able to be built ingame, lurk around the showcase section. Notable builders you should keep an eye on are Thyrus, Hoppin, and DemonOfTomorrow.

Skinning components is fairly simple, simply edit the texture file in a photo editing program. A more detailed explanation is also available in the tutorial index, linked below.

https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=17300.0

Good luck and have fun!
beep beep

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 09:50:18 AM »
Hi ReeceIW and welcome to GametechMods! First of all for skinning componments, you can check out the tutorial section for all sorts of tips including on componment skinning in the main game. But like you, I asked this question on component skinning in DSL and I received a little tutorial that I used, can be found here which is better to what Shield posted : https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19913.msg724963#msg724963. For this tutorial, make sure you have Notepad++ or a similar editor due to the requirement of getting pass the complifed text, to edit the bmp file.

As for making the perfect wedge, you don't need to have just a bracket [Default] wedge for a good wedge design. When making a good flipper or a wedge in DSL, it might be a good idea to look in the wedge extras or the chisels that you can add onto a bot like in the example below, using the chisels. Using the wedge extras or the chisels will allow your bot to get underneath most bots with low clearances and use the weapon under them. You may also use the wedge extras in the extra's tab, but Chisels are good if you're not making replicas which you should use the wedge extras.

Offline ReeceIW

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 10:10:17 AM »
Shield: Yes I'm talking about chassis wedges similar to how Sonny did in the "Let's build Ripper" video, it's incredibly difficult to try and replicate robots such as Ripper S7 and Kronic 3 without the program you are talking about.

Thanks for telling me how to skin components, I always thought you had to add another MOD to the working game that you currently play.

Dark-AI: Thanks for welcoming me to the GametechMods community

I was not exactly talking about how to do it in the extras column, but thank you, Some very useful information here.

Thanks Guys for the Help Means an awful lot.  :bigsmile:  :bigsmile:  :bigsmile:

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 10:19:10 AM »
Hiya Reece, nice to see you've been given some good advice. I recommend for chassis wedges to make them effective, add wedglets to them. But I'm guessing your interested in using ObjRA2, in which Im not too familiar. Best of luck to you.
Things I did & done

Offline ReeceIW

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »
Hoppin: Hi thanks, it's so difficult to know which is which without knowing much about the downloads, I only began playing RA2 about 3/4 years ago and have not downloaded much cause of the amount of content on GTM

Yeah it's the ObjRA2, I've watched the tutorial and found it pretty simple  ;)

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »
Dark-AI: Thanks for welcoming me to the GametechMods community

I was not exactly talking about how to do it in the extras column, but thank you, Some very useful information here.

Thanks Guys for the Help Means an awful lot.  :bigsmile:  :bigsmile:  :bigsmile:
Sorry about that. What I meant to say was that, when you open the Bot lab when building a robot in the construction tab. There is a small tab located to the far right on the parts tab with the Behemoth scoop saying extras. Click on the tab and them scroll through a little bit, and you'll see a component tab in the form of a long, thin rectangle shape in any form of armour (polycarbonate, steel etc.) called "Wedge edges", select the part, plus the length of how long you want the wedge edge and now you can insert it onto your bot. Useful when you have Armour plate lower to the ground, but for extenders I often use chisels that can be found under the beater component tab in the weapons tab. But do feel free to ask if you have further problems, in the technical support sections of the fourms.   

Offline ReeceIW

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 12:32:03 PM »
Hi sorry to say this but do any of you guys know where I can find the OBJRA2 tool? cause I have the one in the downloads section and it keeps saying that there is no content available.

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »

Offline ReeceIW

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 01:44:28 PM »
thanks but it says the user of OBJ2RA2 couldn't be verified and then it says run, I run the program and then it comes up with a black box with no text in it, is that normal?

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 01:48:49 PM »
thanks but it says the user of OBJ2RA2 couldn't be verified and then it says run, I run the program and then it comes up with a black box with no text in it, is that normal?
You have to drag the OBJ file onto OBJRA2.exe in order for it to convert.

Check your antivirus settings to make sure the program isn't listed as a false positive, or anything along those lines.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline ReeceIW

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 02:12:35 PM »
Do you have to compress it first?

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »
No, just export it as an OBJ file from your 3D modeler of choice. Are you using Rhino3d?
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline ReeceIW

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 02:22:46 PM »
No I haven't downloaded any 3D software, I had SketchUp Make 2017, but it failed to function correctly so I deleted the program from my PC