Author Topic: never before seen pre-release version of emergency  (Read 1425 times)

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
never before seen pre-release version of emergency
« on: July 28, 2021, 02:02:24 AM »
Thanks to someone called spahgetticoconut in RA2 Central for posting this

recently a dude in discord joined and posted about having an odd version of emergency that doesn't match with the version that we all know and love.
His proclaimed version of EMERGENCY looked like this

most of us were skeptical at first. in almost 18 years of this game being out, i can't recall a single post on any forum or website talking about there being a different version of emergency, and as someone who owns an original v1 RA2 CD, I can say that i have never seen it either in my copy of the game. our main two guesses at the time were either:
- A: he had some weird bootleg copy of the game where emergency was changed
- B: he was making it up.

But lo and behold, he later posted both the botfile of this version of emergency, and also the entire directory of his ra2 game install, and his claims about having a weird pre-release version of emergency were very much true

internals + a better shot

if you dig a little deeper, it all actually starts to add up and starts to make sense on how this version fits in

- There's actually two binding lines for emergency in the bindings file for the stock ai.  The unused line that is # out is exactly the same as the line that is in the gamefiles that he posted. It also has the binding setting correctly set for the nose heading, the required setting for car steering drive that this version uses, and also the weapon line is properly set for the flipper extender
- EMERGENCY in the final release is the only HW bot that doesn't have double strength armor, this version has double strength armor (ti) like the rest of the stock ai robots
- going by the last edited dates for the original AI in V1 of the game, the final release version of EMERGENCY was last edited almost 2 weeks later than all of the other robots. this version lines up date wise with the rest of team spark (keep in mind that emergency's skin was updated in 1.2, so the date is different in later versions)

pretty cool that were still learning new things about the base vanilla versions of this game after all these years huh

also if anyone was wondering, i haven't found anything else that's too different form the later releases of ra2 yet. i do however believe that the V1/pre-V1 exe has slightly different physics compared to later releases like v.1.2 and 1.3. (1.4 was a fan patch that didn't edit the exe in any capacity), but that's for another day
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline botbuster

• Razer
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: -19
  • welcome back to robot wars
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: never before seen pre-release version of emergency
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 06:52:07 AM »
we did it boys we found john the robot's ancestor
RA2 Awards Most Enthusiastic 2023
Tournament Records and Rewards

Offline 1988945

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 06:45:17 PM »
That looks so much more akin to the other stock ai bots than the emergency we all know and love (hate) does! I wonder why they decided to change it so drastically in the final release 🤔

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 03:28:16 PM »
Perhaps the old devs considered this one too similar to Sentinel and decided to redesign it.
That's the only guess I can come up with.
I have several opinions.

Offline 1988945

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 09:20:47 PM »
perhaps yeah, it does look a bit sentinel-y

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 11:31:25 PM »
That looks so much more akin to the other stock ai bots than the emergency we all know and love (hate) does! I wonder why they decided to change it so drastically in the final release 🤔

bit of a bump here but i'm reminded of some dude in the gtm skype chat who told us all how he won a contest and got to go to the gabriel interactive studio and design an ai bot which turned out to be emergency. however this is beyond ancient history and absolutely no one would have the chat log saved