Author Topic: Is Melty Brain Realistic Or Not ?  (Read 4975 times)

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Is Melty Brain Realistic Or Not ?
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:11:33 PM »
(This whole discussion originally started at page 48 of Urjak's showcase, but it has now a new thread for discussing and keeping offtopic out of the showcase)

In real life, the wheel could be made to a perfect size and there could be a hole cut in the firestorm flipper. What's unrealistic is melty brain AI <- shouldn't be allowed. Flails are not realistic because they don't work in real life but who cares they work in ra2 so they are a legitimate weapon system. This rule is enforced by tournaments, and the tournament host has the right to declare a bot "unrealistic" or not, according to his own opinion. But people can build whatever the heck they want in their showcases. Just as there's people who build "realistic" stock bots, people can build "unrealistic" DSL bots.

I agree the general DSL realism rule is broken, but to be honest that rule should never be "enforced" in the first place.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:49:46 PM by Naryar »
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline G.K.

• Rep: 10
  • Striving for a good personal text since 1994.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Is Melty Brain Realistic Or Not ?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 02:31:15 PM »
Why is Melty Brain unrealistic in your opinion Sage? Because a human couldn't do it in RA2?
My above post explains everything about everything.

Host of: Wheely Tag, Back To The Beginnings, BTTB 2, BTTB 3, BTTB 4, & BTTB V.

Heavy Metal: Champion (Mockery of the Whole Concept)
Robotic International Wars Series 1: Champion (Minifridge 6)
RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Clash Cubes IV: 5th place (Fretless)
BBEANS 6: Rumble Winner & 6th Place (Minifridge 4)

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »
It's kinda because of how broken DSL Realistic is that I like building IRL Realistic so much. But I do see it happening that even that will be pushed to the edge.
"Always be yourself, unless you're a loser"

Offline ty4er

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Why is Melty Brain unrealistic in your opinion Sage? Because a human couldn't do it in RA2?
Apparently Joe could...

Or so he said somewhere :P

I just like building in DSL because it's fairly realistic.
DSL Showcase
is this bot don't lost all razors in a fight before do a damage thought

Offline Sage

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 02:57:03 PM »

Correct. And if you say you can as well as melty brain does, you're kidding yourself.

Offline G.K.

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »
I see your point, but as a counter argument the fact remains that melty brain technology actually exists IRL.

RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 03:12:26 PM »

Correct. And if you say you can as well as melty brain does, you're kidding yourself.

Can a human fire weapons when the enemy gets on a certain zone ? Not as precisely as a smartzone can do.

Can a human drive straight ? Not as precisely as a finely tuned AI can do.

Can a human turn a certain angle to face it's opponent ? Not as precisely as a finely tuned AI can do.

Can a human try and emulate Melty Brain ? And again, not as precisely as an AI can do.

Therefore, your argument is invalid, wizard. And if we continue in your reasoning, we should just get rid of AI cause it's "unrealistic" and more precise than human driving, changing the game forever.

By the way AI-controlled combat robots (real robots, not just remotes) have been entered in Battlebots. The fact that they failed is something else, but you can't say it's unrealistic.

Offline Scorpion

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »
What's the main reason we use AI in the first place though?
Because online play is too laggy, and it's the best way to run tournaments.

AI is used because of convenience NOT to give certain kinds of bots an advantage, that, I don't agree with.

Offline Sage

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 05:08:13 PM »

Can a human fire weapons when the enemy gets on a certain zone ? Not as precisely as a smartzone can do. With practice, easily.

Can a human drive straight ? Not as precisely as a finely tuned AI can do. That depends on the bot not the driver.

Can a human turn a certain angle to face it's opponent ? Not as precisely as a finely tuned AI can do. With practice, you can get good at turning your robot.

Can a human try and emulate Melty Brain ? And again, not as precisely as an AI can do. EXACTLY. But a human can't even get CLOSE to melty brain.

Therefore, your argument is invalid, wizard. And if we continue in your reasoning, we should just get rid of AI cause it's "unrealistic" and more precise than human driving, changing the game forever. Even if it's more "precise" it's still within the realm of possibility for a human to do it. Melty brain is impossible.

By the way AI-controlled combat robots (real robots, not just remotes) have been entered in Battlebots. The fact that they failed is something else, but you can't say it's unrealistic. I'm not saying ANYTHING about realism here, nary. I'm saying that melty brain is crap and shouldn't be allowed.

I see your point, but as a counter argument the fact remains that melty brain technology actually exists IRL.

Vids please. Also, I don't care about IRL or not. I'm talking about in game.

Offline 123savethewhales

• Rep: 30
  • Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »

Not if you are talking about shell spinner.   Driving forward with counter torque means you just have to hold foward!!!  Surprise surprise.  The only thing you have to get used to is the first person view.  After that it's fine.  Driving a Melty Brain Sheck is actually easier than a 2 wheel Sheck.

Offline G.K.

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »
Vids please. Also, I don't care about IRL or not. I'm talking about in game.

Vids of Meltybrain IRL, do you mean?

Offline NFX

• SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 05:55:14 PM »
It is possible to imitate Melty Brain under human control, you just need some very, very good timing. I can post a vid of myself giving it a try if you're interested.
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline Urjak

• Rep: 6
  • Shell Spinner King
    • http://www.youtube.com/wa
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 06:32:16 PM »
I don't see why people are all disproving of one wheel designs. Its not like they offer a massive advantage, they just allow for SS to have a few more weapons and some better bottom protection to give them a better chance at beating popups, which are more "cheap" than any shell spinner.
Any comments would be appreciated. :D

Offline Enigm@

• convicted sex offender
  • Rep: 5
  • :really_makes_you_think:
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:40 PM »
I don't see why people are all disproving of one wheel designs. Its not like they offer a massive advantage, they just allow for SS to have a few more weapons and some better bottom protection to give them a better chance at beating popups, which are more "cheap" than any shell spinner.
This.
(◕‿◕✿) discord: uncle_slamm steam: bigmommaprodz #unbanlra2

Offline Sage

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:43 PM »

Not if you are talking about shell spinner.   Driving forward with counter torque means you just have to hold foward!!!  Surprise surprise.  The only thing you have to get used to is the first person view.  After that it's fine.  Driving a Melty Brain Sheck is actually easier than a 2 wheel Sheck.

Good, now we don't have to use melty brain on one wheeled bots. So now the only thing to use it on is SnS and FBS and whatever, which would be interesting to see someone try.

Offline System32

• Rep: 4
  • Reality
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 06:47:39 PM »
If the moderators Have the "Split" function, they could seperate this discussion into a new thread.
The fact we've gone from talking about the realistic rule to "is meltybrain realistic?" is a prime example of that.
Put this onto your signature if you were part of this crappy fad in '03.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »
I will split the topic right now, 'cause it is indeed becoming off-topic.

EDIT: Done, has been moved to DSL TC discussion

Offline 123savethewhales

• Rep: 30
  • Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »

Good, now we don't have to use melty brain on one wheeled bots. So now the only thing to use it on is SnS and FBS and whatever, which would be interesting to see someone try.
No, you still need FBS set to about 0.1 spin or something.  It can't really "turn" like a normal bot and can only turn at the same direction as the motor torque.  This is basically telling the bot to "hold forward unless the alignment isn't correct".  If you look careful you will notice that the base doesn't actually spin on a FS unless it is turning.

Again, actually pretty easy for a real person,.  Just let the torque spin you til u spot enemy bot, then hold forward.

That said, I think Naryar got a good point though.  Why should "I" have to drive it to be consider realistic, when it exists in real life?

Hell this guy drives a single wheel FBS better than the FBS.PY can.

Here's a video showing how Melty Brain works in real life, as the author mention u can do this with just 1 wheel as well.  Once properly calibrated, anyone can drive it just fine.

Offline Sage

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 09:29:41 PM »
Wow, that's cool.

But I was never talking about "realism" guys. The only real problem I have with melty brain is that if online tournaments were lag-free, there probably would be no AI tournaments. And in RA2, you can't "properly calibrate" a bot so that melty brain works with a human controller.

Offline System32

• Rep: 4
  • Reality
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Wow, that's cool.

But I was never talking about "realism" guys. The only real problem I have with melty brain is that if online tournaments were lag-free, there probably would be no AI tournaments. And in RA2, you can't "properly calibrate" a bot so that melty brain works with a human controller.
With serge's RA2 haxxorz, perhaps he could look at the RA2's online component?
Put this onto your signature if you were part of this crappy fad in '03.