Author Topic: Ironforge potential update  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ironforge potential update
« on: July 19, 2018, 04:12:34 PM »
Ironforge is great but I feel it needs a few additions and some minor changes. In particular, its lack of components kind of hurt it in regards to building freedom. I don't think it needs much, but here's my ideas:

PRIORITY CODE OMEGA changes (everything else can wait):
Buff the servo
Lighten wheels to encourage >4WD
Add shiny hub size wheel

the main changes I'd personally desire are more APs for the armor panels, possible addition of the DSL angled plates, a few intermediate wheel sizes, and beefing up the servo. Some weapons may need a teeny tiny tweak. 

Now from what I heard though 123stw may be against any updates to his mod. that's his right I suppose. Idk. thought I'd bring this up.

thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 02:25:57 PM by Reier »
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
Re: Ironforge potential update
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 08:48:05 PM »
If you wanna do that, feel free, but not many people play Ironforge any more. I'm not sure what your audience is for this.

I'd say 123stw hasn't been around in so long that, without an update, IF is at risk of becoming abandonware, like Joeblo's old-ass mod. Whether or not you abide by 123stw's wishes or update it is up to you.

The changes seem like they'd make sens - one of the things I remember about Ironforge is the restrictions that were in there. DSL had so many more components than it, especially now, and it just kinda dwarfs what Ironforge can do.

Only one problem: Everyone's in the middle of making DSL 2.3 at the moment! Believe me, I'd -love- to see Ironforge get an update, but considering the amount of work that you've outlined here and the lack of a playerbase, unless you did it all yourself, I don't see this happening realistically.

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline 8bean

• Professional Tourney Rigger
  • Rep: 10
  • I'm on discord probably
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: 8bean#4514
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 12:33:04 AM »
   heater reskin (please in dear heaven above)

but dem flamez are so radikool  :gunz:
Stuff I didn't suck at (from oldest to newest)

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 06:52:57 PM »
Another change I thought of. This one is more devoted to online.
Lighten all the wheels, or at least the smaller ones. Wheels atm are super heavy rivaling motors in weight. This really punishes 4WD and above since you basically need twice as many wheels for the same power as just using a twice as big motor, not to mention batteries with how RA2 amps are handled. If they were lightened, 4wd could be weight-viable, and very beneficial for online since a wheel getting whacked off isnt an insta-lose anymore. Ironforge is basically the best competitive/online meta atm and I think these changes will help a ton with building variety.

I'm PMing 123 with all this stuff. I should be able to do a lot of it myself if he gives me the green light. If he doesn't respond after a while I'll work on it and see from there.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 02:26:50 PM by Reier »
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 11:31:44 PM »
I'm PMing 123 with all this stuff. I should be able to do a lot of it myself if he gives me the green light. If he doesn't respond after a while I'll work on it and see from there.

he didn't respond so w're going ahead with an """"unofficial"""" update. geice and 09 are helping and we are likely trying to get this done before we begin work on updating redace's reforged pack and before yugi's tourney begins. will post a thread with the changes soon.
ReiAI pack for Ironforge