Author Topic: IMPORTANT: this will save RA2  (Read 23979 times)

Offline Olister92

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Trust no one, suspect everyone
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Olister92#9751
Re: IMPORTANT: this will save RA2
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2018, 06:08:59 AM »
I think it just comes down to time zones really and people not being able to commit to an exact time with IRL things going on, at least that what the only problem for me is. It is a shame as this is something I wanted to work too

Offline Ra2Winner999

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • guys terraria 1.4 is out
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2018, 08:58:15 AM »
I think it just comes down to time zones really and people not being able to commit to an exact time with IRL things going on, at least that what the only problem for me is. It is a shame as this is something I wanted to work too

Yup.
the heavy is dead

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2018, 06:42:41 PM »

doesn't stop the Garry's Wars server tho, on a Saturday you can easily enough deal with a small scale tournament
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Still can't make robots after 20 years.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Mr.Kinch
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2018, 03:17:11 AM »

doesn't stop the Garry's Wars server tho, on a Saturday you can easily enough deal with a small scale tournament

^

The reason why this isn't catching on is because not enough people are even trying it. I would love to be at the forefront of this and offer tournements weekly but I'm still not ready to upgrade to Windows 10.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2018, 04:22:19 AM »
personally I just think most of gtm are more content with regular Ra2, with ai battles and for me personally, the set up time for parsec isnt worth the consistant usage. Id love to use it more, but I just straight up cba with the setup for it.
Things I did & done

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2018, 04:42:53 AM »
personally I just think most of gtm are more content with regular Ra2, with ai battles and for me personally, the set up time for parsec isnt worth the consistant usage. Id love to use it more, but I just straight up cba with the setup for it.
this tbqhfam

Also, I don't want to be a dick, but I think a decent amount of members lack the required PC specs/internet speed to host somewhat playable games.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Olister92

• Heavyweight
  • Trust no one, suspect everyone
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Olister92#9751
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2018, 06:33:17 AM »
Also, I don't want to be a dick, but I think a decent amount of members lack the required PC specs/internet speed to host somewhat playable games.

^ this isn't being a dick it's true man, I just couldn't justify spending money on a high spec PC just to play RA2 which is basically all I use my laptop for when I have IRL stuff to pay for too. Weekend slots would be ideal to do stuff like this for the majority of people but weekends are full unfortunately this might be the same for others too, damn IRL stuff again!

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2018, 07:36:41 AM »
I support this. I thought tournaments will be done by Humans, only for me to learn that's it's AI based. It will be more interesting to drive your own robot and fight yourself, rather than watching. Also, as said by others, it will allow more strategy. We can have something like Bigger Brother vs Hypno-Disc, with human players driving a badly battered, but still functional robot drive-wise, in a way that allows them to push opponents to hazards to destroy or eliminate them from there.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »
Tbh ill try do be more actuve with this with my newer rig when i finally buy it (thank god i work now)

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2018, 07:25:23 PM »
hey again. I claimed a while ago that online play in ra2 would extend the life of the game to the extreme, and i stand by that statement.
now we have proof. I’ve so far hosted 2 Centauris, online tournaments, that were bigger successes than I could have hoped. the second was even better than the first, and I thought the first was amazing. i can't tell you how many times i heard stuff like
Can’t really look at AI matches the same anymore.
from centauri competitors.

if you haven't yet, watch it. please. i don’t care that it was me who hosted it. I would say the same if someone else hosts one. you have to watch it to see how pitiful AI is in comparison.
I’m saying this cause most people havent. The views on YT are very low. I understand. the mindset of most tournaments is to only watch your own fights, and theres barely a point in watching anyway cause the ai is so braindead and predictable. Just read summaries of the fights in all honesty.
This is 100% NOT the case with pvp matches. Any fight in either Centauris blow any AI fight out of the water. You do not have to be a competitor to enjoy a fight. Some players are gooood drivers, incredible to watch, and it’s possible to win with extremely unorthodox designs. A clamp won C1, for crying out loud. 2 push bots with 0 and minimal weapons respectively got 3rd and 2nd in C2. When do you see that with AI? you don’t. we need pvp to encourage building innovation. it’s so much fun and almost everyone is missing out! makes me so sad. it doesnt have to be like this.

We need people to watch these matches, and we need people to host more online tournaments. It is not much of a commitment. All the C2 matches were filmed in 2 days. was even less of a commitment for the competitors. i've hosted 5 AI tournaments before and centauri was honestly easier and way more fun to do. pretty much every 'issue' mentioned above was completely disproved with the centauris.
We need pvp for the game, people. Please. i'm getting tired of being one of the only ones trying to save this game, especially when it is so simple to fix.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:32:00 AM by Reier »
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2018, 09:04:53 PM »
i used a laptop made around 5 years ago with nothing changed in it and built in graphics card and played on it perfectly fine with no lag so most machines should be able to play on it and i expect half the machines in GTM can probably host on it so its worth looking at and can easily enough make it a weekly or even every 2 week thing for someone to host if enough are willing to try

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2018, 12:40:01 AM »
So I've been out of the loop for a while. What are ya'll using to host these live matches?
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2018, 12:53:11 AM »
So I've been out of the loop for a while. What are ya'll using to host these live matches?
it's a program called parsec. it's basically a screen sharing software that people can use to connect to a host. very minimal lag, most people said they could barely notice they weren't playing on their own pc

i used a laptop made around 5 years ago with nothing changed in it and built in graphics card and played on it perfectly fine with no lag so most machines should be able to play on it and i expect half the machines in GTM can probably host on it so its worth looking at and can easily enough make it a weekly or even every 2 week thing for someone to host if enough are willing to try
what he said. almost no one had any major problems when playing in the centauris, and i know that several people's pcs aren't that good by any stretch. hosting may be a different story but I have a solid middle of the road pc with middle of the road upload speed and it worked without any problems really. people just need to give it a shot. don't really know why people are so terrified of getting out of their comfort zone when it's basically a straight upgrade
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2018, 02:25:52 AM »
it's a program called parsec. it's basically a screen sharing software that people can use to connect to a host. very minimal lag, most people said they could barely notice they weren't playing on their own pc

what he said. almost no one had any major problems when playing in the centauris, and i know that several people's pcs aren't that good by any stretch. hosting may be a different story but I have a solid middle of the road pc with middle of the road upload speed and it worked without any problems really. people just need to give it a shot. don't really know why people are so terrified of getting out of their comfort zone when it's basically a straight upgrade
I think for the PC part, it's either they don't want to spend money maybe, or for younger users, not allowed to buy a new one as long as the old one is still useable. Also, i do wish there are more DSL online tourneys, particularly IRL. In addition, I do want to do PvP, because it's fun, but unfortunately can't, because I live in SE Asia, where there are only three other active users (Wen, Neon, moz) and they seem to don't know how to Parsec, or don't have enough Internet speed for it

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2018, 10:20:58 AM »
I think Reier has a solid point in here. Considering that all these 10 years I've been part of GTM, Online playing was entirely ignored. I could imagine DSL-IRL being even more fun to play online!

My arms are open for RA2 online and I personally want to give it a try.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2018, 12:48:28 PM »
I think Reier has a solid point in here. Considering that all these 10 years I've been part of GTM, Online playing was entirely ignored. I could imagine DSL-IRL being even more fun to play online!

I know that the community is mostly oriented around IRL right now and that's perfectly fine. Playing online matches with IRL bots might be kind of awkward though (or not as much fun) simply because the balance between the robots aren't good. Like if you have a robot with a great aesthetic but poor performance, having to control it against opponents with stronger robots and lose could be frustrating. The point of IRL is to have lots of battles with good looks, which comes from bot realism more than driving realism. Driving brings a lot more to a competitive meta, like IF-standard, because now there's huge pressure to drive well in order to win, your driving skills matter, and there can be actual in-battle strategy (like in round 2 of the video). That's why Reier chose IF for these tournaments. If winning is your goal, you might feel that controlling IRL robots is like having a boxing match underwater. You might find after some IRL games you wished your bot was stronger/faster/less awkward/more destructive, and then try out building in IF or standard. It's also worth stating that IRL tournaments have to be made much smaller to fit in an online format. But no one has tried an online IRL tournament and IRL seems to be what people want to do these days. It's kind of dumb to avoid something that we haven't tried yet so take this post more as a warning than as truth. Obviously I'm stuck up the IF camp (and for reasons) but if someone wants to make an IRL tournament it would be interesting to see how it looks in the end.

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »

I know that the community is mostly oriented around IRL right now and that's perfectly fine. Playing online matches with IRL bots might be kind of awkward though (or not as much fun) simply because the balance between the robots aren't good. Like if you have a robot with a great aesthetic but poor performance, having to control it against opponents with stronger robots and lose could be frustrating. The point of IRL is to have lots of battles with good looks, which comes from bot realism more than driving realism. Driving brings a lot more to a competitive meta, like IF-standard, because now there's huge pressure to drive well in order to win, your driving skills matter, and there can be actual in-battle strategy (like in round 2 of the video). That's why Reier chose IF for these tournaments. If winning is your goal, you might feel that controlling IRL robots is like having a boxing match underwater. You might find after some IRL games you wished your bot was stronger/faster/less awkward/more destructive, and then try out building in IF or standard. It's also worth stating that IRL tournaments have to be made much smaller to fit in an online format. But no one has tried an online IRL tournament and IRL seems to be what people want to do these days. It's kind of dumb to avoid something that we haven't tried yet so take this post more as a warning than as truth. Obviously I'm stuck up the IF camp (and for reasons) but if someone wants to make an IRL tournament it would be interesting to see how it looks in the end.

this i agree with IRL is a great meta for AI as you can build for looks while still being effective due to way AI works with driving skill a factor however having a very nice looking vert or undercutter wont make a differance if a simple pushbot can out push you into a pit or hazard. The other issue with IRL is with the extenderbots so many bits flying off will no doubt cause some lag and most people prefer to build them for the IRL meta again for looks, so while you can use that meta it will have to be differant from the AI IRL meta so you might aswell just use dsl meta in end anyway and for that in PvP IF is better due to added HP of parts so one hit wont end the match. I highly recommend though that if someone wishes to try IRL then just go for it and see what happens and adjust rules/meta as needed, it could be a great chance for a new PvP IRL meta ruleset.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2018, 02:10:06 PM »
The whole IRL PvP thing is a bit of a double edged sword really. I totally get all the arguments about IRL possibly not being suited to PvP gameplay, and I also get that some folks just don't like IRL as a whole, but at the same time I think if you really want to get PvP RA2 to take off, at least trying an IRL online tournament might be a 'necessary evil' so to speak. On the one hand by actually trying it we'll know for sure if IRL does or does not work in a PvP setting, and also, I don't think it's any secret that IRL is the most popular meta right now, especially with people who don't frequent GTM (Pretty much the only tournaments that I've seen draw significant non-GTM attention have been IRL tourneys). I'm not gonna get into the whole debate on why that is but if you want to draw people in and get people playing online RA2, then IRL may be the way to go. That said the PvP matches that have been done in IF so far have been undeniably great to watch so it's swings and roundabouts really. I think it's worth a shot just to work out whether or not IRL and Online are compatible or not.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2018, 03:01:15 PM »
The whole IRL PvP thing is a bit of a double edged sword really. I totally get all the arguments about IRL possibly not being suited to PvP gameplay, and I also get that some folks just don't like IRL as a whole, but at the same time I think if you really want to get PvP RA2 to take off, at least trying an IRL online tournament might be a 'necessary evil' so to speak. On the one hand by actually trying it we'll know for sure if IRL does or does not work in a PvP setting, and also, I don't think it's any secret that IRL is the most popular meta right now, especially with people who don't frequent GTM (Pretty much the only tournaments that I've seen draw significant non-GTM attention have been IRL tourneys). I'm not gonna get into the whole debate on why that is but if you want to draw people in and get people playing online RA2, then IRL may be the way to go. That said the PvP matches that have been done in IF so far have been undeniably great to watch so it's swings and roundabouts really. I think it's worth a shot just to work out whether or not IRL and Online are compatible or not.

100% agree with this!!! try irl meta and see how goes, i think worse case an irl PvP meta ruleset can be made (which would only be extenderbots and clusterbots banned off top my head)

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »
Seems to me that IRL would be better PvP than AI, since there's the chance for like a clamp or something to actually function as intended.  But then, I've never been big into IRL