Author Topic: IMPORTANT: this will save RA2  (Read 23994 times)

Offline Mattiator

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: IMPORTANT: this will save RA2
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »
Someone needs to set up a game, and then you just have to follow a link.

EDIT: Here's a few videos I've recorded demonstrating fights done using NVIDIA Gamestream. Keep in mind, these fights were done from Western Canada, across the damn Atlantic, when commenting on how badly the bot that isn't me is driving:

Quantos (operated by me) Vs. Surgeon Sparrow (operated by Botomatic)

Gale Force Nine (operated by me) Vs. Mermaid Mk4 (operated by Doodle)

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
  • *insert dank memes here*
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2017, 10:51:25 AM »
I support this idea, I'd love to watch/be a part of a tournament where the builders drive their own creations, It'd also be fun to notice the different driving styles of different members.
Also, no more "YOU AI'D RONG", I'm kinda tired of getting screwed over by dumbass AI
So, good post. Title is kinda dramatic, though.

the title is a bit clickbaitey but i believe it completely. I guarantee this will open up so many possibilities if it happens.

just don't know how to make it a reality. any suggestions at all would be very welcome. I'm particularly interested if it's possible to host a dedicated ra2 sever for starters

Opened this expecting another sh**post but you raise a great point. If this game had actual, functioning online play I could see myself playing it pretty much every day, and, like you said, it would make previously useless classes of bot viable and encourage innovation in the bot building scene.
that's the thing, it would add a whole other facet to the game which is basically dead.
also i dont sh**post

the problem is if am right, online servers were hosted by gamespy and this game now faces the same struggle star wars battlefront 2 (old) faces. it has no master server due to gamespy shutting them down so in order for us to have proper online play ra2 needs a new master server to host all of the dedicated servers on. (don't ask me how to do this i just know that this is why not how to go about fixing it). basically if a new master server is created and made to work for ra2 all online problems are solved its that simple or at least it sounds simple where as in reality it is a very complex and daunting task. a few people have attempted to create master servers to replace the gamespy one but all are either unfinished or discontinued
That guy that listens to your opinion about how to improve his bot but half the time doesn't change anything anyway.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2017, 10:58:35 AM »
gamespy online wasnt good anyways, it was still hella laggy.

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2017, 11:12:32 AM »

Whatever the case was (wasn't around on ra2 back then, only been on it for a year at most although i did play battlefront 2 which used gamespy as well) it was a master server and that is the key, once ra2 has a master server again there will be no need for things like hamachi or gameranger because the game will be able to host its own multiplayer without external support, once that is implemented it would just be a case of refining the game and the new master server to work as one thus eliminating all unnecessary lag and rubber-banding from the game and in theory creating a working stable multiplayer.
That guy that listens to your opinion about how to improve his bot but half the time doesn't change anything anyway.

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »
also someone PLEASE PIN THIS TOPIC IT IS VERY IMPORTANT  :vista:

Offline Starcore

• Rep: 6
    • https://www.facebook.com/
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starcore.gametechmods.com/
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »
Another option that I have not seen mentioned at GTM that could work similar to the NVidia Gamestream as a functional option but would also have the trust issue is TeamViewer. It would allow both on same screen combat and would also require the bots be wired with different keys to avoid conflict (one with WASD and Space for example and the other with Arrow Keys and Delete or similar)

This does face the issue of trust since you are allowing the other player to access your PC. RA2 limits it somewhat by grabbing control of Keyboard and Mouse.

Is easy to set up and has been optimized for low lag and fast video updates. It is also free for personal use.

Can check it out here: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

Optimization Tips: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-get-the-best-experience-from-teamviewer-1585428616

I have not personally tested for 2-player RA2 but it seems to have all the necessary features.

Starcore
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:48:24 PM by Starcore »
Founding Father, Original CEO and Lead AI of DSL
Creator of the Starcore Stock AI Packs
Spin Doctors "We'll make you a smash hit!"
MSN Messenger: jeffmilburn@hotmail.com
Email: Starcore.RA2@gmail.com

Starcore AI Packs for Stock RA2 available at:
http://www.starcore.gametechmods.com/

Online apanx

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »
Tried that with Mattinator. I think it worked a little bit worse than Gamestream. On the other hand, having a distance of around 6000km between players isn't optimal for latency.

You could also run RA2 in a VM and screenshare from there to protect yourself.

RA2 net code needs really low latency to work well. LAN, sure. Longer distances, not really.

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2017, 05:36:46 PM »

Whatever the case was (wasn't around on ra2 back then, only been on it for a year at most although i did play battlefront 2 which used gamespy as well) it was a master server and that is the key, once ra2 has a master server again there will be no need for things like hamachi or gameranger because the game will be able to host its own multiplayer without external support, once that is implemented it would just be a case of refining the game and the new master server to work as one thus eliminating all unnecessary lag and rubber-banding from the game and in theory creating a working stable multiplayer.

It is very specifically a netcode issue and not a master server issue, as someone who played RA2 online frequently back in 2006. There was always pretty serious lag even with people relatively close by.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »
If anynone wants (and is near croatia. Well anywhere in EU), i will be able to test TeamViewer.

Offline Herpaderp64

• AOD Replica's FTW
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2017, 11:26:27 AM »

It is very specifically a netcode issue and not a master server issue, as someone who played RA2 online frequently back in 2006. There was always pretty serious lag even with people relatively close by.

i see, although as i said i think the first step is to get ra2's multiplayer up and running in way so it needs no external support, the lag is just a side effect of poor programming and im sure there are people here that are a lot smarter than i am who can fix it lol, and if they do attempt it good luck to them. we will all be grateful if we can all drive our bots around and kick the living sh*t out of each other without ai tournaments. just think we will actually see tactics involved in the fights instead of 2-4 bots just mindlessly ramming each other until one just stops due to bad ai coding or something.

Offline frezal

• Pronouns: any
  • Rep: 5
  • I am all eyes
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Oh, she’s on Instagram!
    • Awards
  • Discord: shelly.burger#9497
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2017, 02:57:43 AM »
I used to love playing RA2 online! I would say that I loved playing RA1 online, but I had dial-up back then, so I could rarely get a game to actually work.

Best of luck to everyone working on a solution to this problem. Actually having to control your bot adds a whole other level of skill to the game.
Destroy your lives, on purpose!

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2018, 03:31:06 AM »
bump

found this program for ra2 online, basically nvidia gamestream but you don't need nvidia for it
https://parsecgaming.com/

you still need to have different controls for each bot etc but its still a step forward

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2018, 01:16:42 PM »
good find. I'll test it out soon. I'm glad people are still trying to find ways around the ra2 online limitations, I haven't given up hope yet.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2018, 03:12:04 PM »
good find. I'll test it out soon. I'm glad people are still trying to find ways around the ra2 online limitations, I haven't given up hope yet.
Do it on friday? Maybe test all metas?

Online apanx

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2018, 04:32:07 PM »
This seems to work well enough.
Had a 4-way with SM, 8bean and Tashic with my retarded test bots.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2018, 05:09:27 PM »
great if it works. how was lag for the non-hosts?
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2018, 05:30:32 PM »
This does sound great, I've never played an online match unfortunately.
But if it would be used for online tournaments, how would we get around the time zone difference between users?
Just a small question I thought of bringing up lol

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2018, 06:06:21 PM »