Author Topic: IMPORTANT: this will save RA2  (Read 24004 times)

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: IMPORTANT: this will save RA2
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2018, 03:54:34 PM »
i've done irl online before with massimo like 3 years ago and it was really fun to do, mainly since its probably the closet thing you can get to actually robotic combat simulation.

Playing online matches with IRL bots might be kind of awkward though (or not as much fun) simply because the balance between the robots aren't good. Like if you have a robot with a great aesthetic but poor performance, having to control it against opponents with stronger robots and lose could be frustrating.
i dont see how having a better chance than in an AI battle against a stronger bot and being able to pull off some sweet upset victories would be frustrating. right now in current AI irl tournies theres so many dumb losses caused by AI thats i cant possible think of how pvp would be more frustrating aside from the fact you can't blame the AI anymore for your losses lol.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2018, 03:57:44 PM »
tbh I think that PVP would make IRL much more fair considering that human driving makes IRL more than just who decided to go more """competitive IRL"""
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:24:37 PM by geese »
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline superbomb122

• toomuchweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Really nothing special
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: superbomb122 #3549
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2018, 04:05:35 PM »
From personal experience, I've seen stupid moments with AI completely screw over the bot that was winning the fight. The flaws in horizontal spinner and flipper AI are especially glaring, and I think that every tournament, IRL or standard, would have better fights and strategy with online tournaments. A human can take evasive action and exploit armor weaknesses better than any AI, and if we want to get the full experience, we might as well get the experience of using our bots too.
Phantom- OW4 quarterfinalist and PWS6 runner-up
All Guts, No Glory- CUndisputed Champ obv
Everything else I've made- sh**

Delete your account smh

(Phantom is cool)

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »
tbh I think that PVP would make IRL much more fair considering the human driving makes IRL more than just who decided to go more """competitive IRL"""

IRL could be more then big disk or gutrippers with human driving you will have the trade off of weapon or drive as i would hope a human would try to avoid aiming for the big weapon on the front which would make control bots and overheads more viable. For anyone that hasnt watched the online PvP a pushbot actually did well without a single weapon

Offline [cringey name goes here]

• Supah Kickah
  • Rep: -4
  • coolest monkey in the jungle 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2018, 04:18:02 PM »
I know this has been said 1 million times over again, but an IRL Parsec tournament would be a nice test to see how far we can go with this new technology. I would participate 100%, but with parsec being limited to continents, and differentiating schedules, it would be hard to manage something if this caliber to the same degree these new, huge IRL tournaments have, but hey, I'm down to try it.
please eat something that you're allergic to, in excessive ammounts
:sweat-smile: sadness anxiety insanity and chaos some people choose 1 or 2 me i choose all 4 :sweat-smile:
funniest user 2020

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2018, 04:30:02 PM »
I know this has been said 1 million times over again, but an IRL Parsec tournament would be a nice test to see how far we can go with this new technology. I would participate 100%, but with parsec being limited to continents, and differentiating schedules, it would be hard to manage something if this caliber to the same degree these new, huge IRL tournaments have, but hey, I'm down to try it.

i wouldnt say try to do it on as big a scale and AI tournaments are still good for that but even having 8 man tournaments in each geographical area would add a spark to the game and encourage some creative builds and in most cases they can be completed over a weekend or even in one night

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2018, 05:36:39 PM »
I don't even think intercontinental would be that bad unless someone has dial-up tier internet

like I've hosted games with apanx and a few bongs and they said it was playable. hell, even kix said it was pretty good and I'm pretty sure he was using his phone as a wireless hot-spot
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Still can't make robots after 20 years.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Mr.Kinch
« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2018, 06:25:57 AM »
Again, it's not a problem. We've hosted intercontinental games and it has worked fine.

It's just no one cares about hosting a tournament. I'd host tons but I've got Windows 7 and I'm not about to upgrade just because someone with Windows 10 can't be bothered to host one damn tourney.

If you care about the future of this game and already have Windows 10, host a tournament, set a time and I'll be there.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2018, 06:02:38 AM »
Not made by me, but very important for DSL-IRL RA2 Parsec tourney. The head of the Roblox robot combat server, Sevalent, decided to start an IRL RA2 Parsec tourney. Since he is too lazy here, I will drop the link instead with authorization from him:

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 07:17:56 AM by Billy5545 »

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »
Not made by me, but very important for DSL-IRL RA2 Parsec tourney. The head of the Roblox robot combat server, Sevalent, decided to start an IRL RA2 Parsec tourney. Since he is too lazy here, I will drop the link instead with authorization from him:

Was a really fun tournament. Surprisingly little crashing and the fights were excellent for the most part. Definitely better than the fights you see out of the AI pretty much across the board. Will certainly be looking forward to future runs of it as well as seeing how the PvP meta for IRL develops.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline superbomb122

• toomuchweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Really nothing special
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: superbomb122 #3549
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2018, 11:52:09 AM »
Yeah. Even though I couldn't compete in the main tourney, the testing fights beforehand were some of my favorite moments in almost two years of playing the game.
Phantom- OW4 quarterfinalist and PWS6 runner-up
All Guts, No Glory- CUndisputed Champ obv
Everything else I've made- sh**

Delete your account smh

(Phantom is cool)

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2018, 01:48:42 AM »
I wish other people are allowed to make a separate thread for PWS so it will get more attention, we can post more things like opinions and comments on fights there, and I won't have to use this thread as PWS vid dumping ground, as while the host, Sevalent, is here as Sevalent the Fox, he doesn't use GTM.

Anyway, the second installment of the first ever DSL-IRL Parsec tourney by Sevalent is here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yw70kPcDX1s&

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2018, 07:01:22 AM »
PWS2 was an even better experience than the first. Thanks to everyone who sent bots or drove, it was super fun
Things I did & done