Author Topic: How to Ground Game?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Martoni

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
How to Ground Game?
« on: February 27, 2022, 03:55:35 PM »
How can I win the Ground Game in Robot Arena 2?
I've tried around with different wedges, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what wedge gets under all the others.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: How to Ground Game?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 04:04:59 PM »
stock - small wedges tend to get under stuff, typically you want it on the end of an extender attached to a snapper 2 or DDT. emergency wedges can also work but are generally a lot less reliable

DSL 2.1 - a lot more complicated. generally snappers (probably bsgs) are probably the most likely to be good, but the central attach point of a skirt hinge, and metal hinges tend to be fine. it's largely luck. as for the components on those, small wedges are still very good, but the various skirts also tend to make good wedges. also for some slower robots, mako wedges (using 90 degree axles) can work but they're more unstable and bad on fast bots

For more recent versions I think the meta is probably less overcentralized on wedges since they're not very realistic typically and so don't fit with the dominant IRL style. For Ironforge I don't really know

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 07:06:15 PM »
If you're playing stock or not going for realism then follow Madman's advice.

The realistic building style that's most popular today is still pretty wedge-focused just like the real battlebots. There's two different philosophies that are popular really.

One is wedgelets like you see on a bunch of real battlebots. You can make them out of extenders and the dedicated wedgelet components included in DSL 2.5 along with the spring loaded metal hinge component. (having your wedge on a hinge is pretty crucial in RA2 for actually getting under stuff)

Another is the so-called "panel wedge", which is a wedge that uses a panel component along with a wedge edge component, again attached to a hinge (often a skirt hinge instead of the spring loaded metal hinge)

We don't allow the kind of wedges that madman refers to in his comment in the realistic building style that's most popular these days because they rely on paper thin sheets of metal that would bend really quickly on real robots

Advantages of wedgelets are that their small size allows them to exploit small gaps in the ground clearance of the opponent, while panel wedges tend to have outright better wedging ability.

There's never really gonna be a wedge that gets under literally everything else 100% of the time, but these approaches work well in the realistic meta aimed at emulating real robot combat as best as possible.

I'd recommend joining the RA2 central discord (linked at the top of the homepage) if you have more questions because it's a lot more active than here.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 03:12:31 PM »
yeh i'm lost with the whole irl wedge meta i just assumed it wasn't a thing people cared about compared to aesthetics

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 03:39:38 PM »
blue snapper (only attachable inside chassis) or green snapper (can be attached outside the chassis), ddt is pointless since it takes up more space and is only useful for selfrighting purposes or flipping other dude
dsl just use skirt hinges (center attachment only) or metal hinges, ez dubs.

Offline Martoni

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 05:54:39 PM »
Thanks, I've been trying for a while to find the perfect setup for my Bite-Force Style vertical spinner to be able to get under everything but I just hadn't found anything. Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll try them, also I'm afraid my parents don't want me on discord so, too bad.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 04:10:37 PM »
Try using the cheatbot2 component "Flatmotor" they are very good
Things I did & done

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 09:31:25 PM »
Thanks, I've been trying for a while to find the perfect setup for my Bite-Force Style vertical spinner to be able to get under everything but I just hadn't found anything. Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll try them, also I'm afraid my parents don't want me on discord so, too bad.
drop pics here of what you got currently and we can probably help out more if you cant figure it out