Author Topic: How do you Stack?/Your way of Stacking stuff  (Read 2647 times)

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
How do you Stack?/Your way of Stacking stuff
« on: July 30, 2016, 08:28:12 AM »
This thread isn't about asking how Stacking works but how you do it. Are you using a certain camera angle/trying to move the battery in a certain spot/movepixel/switch camera if it doesn't work for 5 seconds/and so on.

I'd like to know how people do it and which stacks are possible/in what order, to keep those in mind when building something. I do know how to stack, however stacking two Supervolts(even with zoomed in camera, enough space and movepixel) has been giving me a lot of trouble.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: How do you Stack?/Your way of Stacking stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 09:17:23 AM »
BFE

Nah, I just wiggle about until it works tbh. Just zoom in and keep trying different things. Obviously you need to axle load sometimes etc...
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 09:19:13 AM »
BFE

Nah, I just wiggle about until it works tbh. Just zoom in and keep trying different things. Obviously you need to axle load sometimes etc...
How long does it usually take you? I've been trying stacks for 15 minutes and it feels like I'm doing something wrong(yet sometimes I can get the stack in no time)
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »
BFE

How long does it usually take you? I've been trying stacks for 15 minutes and it feels like I'm doing something wrong(yet sometimes I can get the stack in no time)
That's just how it is.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 02:34:29 PM »
I just wiggle around for a while and change the camera view every now and then. If it flashes I use movepixel to find it and.. that's it.

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 03:20:36 PM »
did u watch my stacking video
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 03:22:28 PM »
Yes, the question isn't about how stacking works but what methods people use(as I can sometimes get a stack done but it feels more like luck than knowing what to do, and spending hours on getting a stack can be annoying), for some reason when I opened the video I usually got the stack done, can swear that positioning the battery a bit more to the top and left usually got the stack working for me.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Where creativity meets low expectations.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 06:41:52 PM »
Yes, the question isn't about how stacking works but what methods people use(as I can sometimes get a stack done but it feels more like luck than knowing what to do, and spending hours on getting a stack can be annoying), for some reason when I opened the video I usually got the stack done, can swear that positioning the battery a bit more to the top and left usually got the stack working for me.

I find turning the camera either dead above the object you're trying to stack, or on a diagonal is the easiest.

Second, I start off with larger movements and when I see the flash, start focusing on smaller movements around the flash.

Stacks seem to be completely random too. Like one day I can stack supervolts by putting them directly on top of each other, tomorrow I might need to move them two pixels to the right etc.

Putting the resolution on the highest setting also helps.
Tournament History:

Offline Silverfish

• The Hardest Part of Ending is Starting Again
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Welcome to the quiet before the storm hits...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 09:59:54 PM »
Curiously, several things work differently. Sometimes, you get stacks in no time with that kind of method, others it takes forever and doesn't work. If you look at my/sage's showcases and find the really small hses (My Name is Ed/Spinny Dinny) it took me ~3 weeks to get the stack just right, but that was really complex. Usually, I can get a SuperVolt stack in 10 minutes or less with the regular method from sage's vid. I don't know about vanilla stacking, but ASAS seems to work at different speeds based on the computer... I don't know about regular stacking though.
Tourney stuffs:

"We need a new way to defeat them... Something they haven't seen. Something... no one... has ever seen..."
-Gelorum, Acceleracers: Ignition

Youtube(cuz I can't use the normal link): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8zJZecbrpqiZK2eLnKLAA

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 10:03:57 PM »
Usually I position the camera directly above the robot, and zoomed in as much as possible, then spin the bot to be as horizontal as possible.  Then I go back and forth in rows using movepickle until it works.  Usually works pretty well.  I hate stacking by hand because whenever I see the flash where it will fit, I've already moved my mouse and lose it.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 07:36:56 AM »
Thanks for all the answers, this was what I was hoping for.
Looking back at Sage's video as well as what Thrack and Hi5er posted, I think I did something like that, tried it out on a bot where I tried stacking for half an hour before and got the stack done in 2 minutes.
Yesterday I did some stacking experiments and got the following done:

The top one is almost stacked at the same position. I've never BFE'd before but I think those are the lines that show position:
Code: [Select]
0.0729231 0 0.0435736
0.707107 0 0 0.707107
0 0
Battery
Components\supervolt battery.txt
0.0729036 -1.19209e-007 0.0464111
0.707107 0 0 0.707107
0 0
Battery
Components\supervolt battery.txt
0.0729231 vs 0.0729036 (0.0000195 difference) and 0.0435736 vs 0.0464111 (0.0028375 difference).
Looks almost like it's on the same place.
Originally I was going to show this in my showcase thread and ask if I can BFE the supervolts now because it's getting a bit annoying to stack them.
I'd much rather spend that time building new designs and other stuff, and if I've done that postiton once, I should be able to replicate that in theory, right?
The position differences(if I'd BFE them, I'd add the difference as well) are so close that it would most likely make no difference to a perfectly stacked one unless someone starts adding a super zoom which allows us to do the placement even more precise.

As for Stacking itself, like Silverfish mentioned, it's completely random.
Originally I thought that stacking would work if you positioned a component right inside another(collision detection would probably fail then, most likely because it's coded to check if anything is in the way 0.0(..)1 from the component) however it was quickly shown that this isn't the case.

The fact that I got the second stack by rotating the battery enough as well as originally finding a stack for the second one, but after 5 or 6 times it wouldn't be found again, makes me believe that you somehow glitch the collision detection which tells the game that you are allowed to put something there/collision works at that point.

RA2 seems to use a very high value for positioning, which is a waste, don't think you would be able to position stuff that precisely unless you glitch with the camera angles, a smaller grid or heck, even a bigger one, would've saved a lot of space, made positioning easier and maybe reduce the online lag, but I don't think I'm the first one questioning what funny stuff the developers were using during development. Most likely has to do with the game being rushed for release.

The problem for me has been getting that flash(think the big issue here is hitting that one spot, think most camera angles will have one), once I see it I can usually find it in little time, however the horizontal positioning seems to finally help with that, so hopefully that allows easier stacks now.
Tournament History:
Showcases: