Author Topic: Hi, I'm new here!  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Ka0sGh0sT

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hi, I'm new here!
« on: May 23, 2018, 10:24:23 AM »
Hey! I'm new here. Hope I'm not too late :P I remember playing these games as a kid, my brother and I always watched Battlebots on Comedy Central, so our dad bought us the games. It's been quite a few years since then though :P

I bought the Robot Arena 3 on Steam a few months back, as I saw it and it brought back the nostalgia of playing the first 2 as a kid. However, It doesn't seem to like my PC, and just does not do the series justice. it's a shame.

Anyways, as I was looking around the internet, I came across this forum, and the download for the 2nd game. Would be awesome to get that. I have it downloaded, but no idea how to get it to work. The UI is entirely messed up, and it doesn't help I have a 2560x1080 monitor (i kick myself in the butt every day for purchasing it, most games do not support the resolution.) I was wondering if anyone can help me to get the game running on my machine, i have no idea where to start. I did download the "4K UI Fix" as well, but it didn't seem to just fix the issue, I'm assuming I need to edit some things in the CGF File, but putting that to my resolution didn't change anything.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hi, I'm new here!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:29:43 AM »
Welcome to GTM.

First of all: Try to refund RA3 if you still can.
Second: I don't know much about the tech but there are enough people who can tho.

Look around in showcases to see what other people build but most imprortant is to not limit yourself by others but rather have your own buildingstyle no mather if it's the stock game or in the DSL mod.

Have fun ;)

Offline Ka0sGh0sT

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 10:37:11 AM »
i wish i could get a refund for RA3, but I waited too long to even play it after buying it. Then I finally got around to installing it. I have a whopping total of 98 minutes in it. Imho, Steam should go through and refund everyone and take the game out of the store, as it's no where near a complete game.

I'm looking into the mods and others creations. I'd like to get the game to work first though. I've tried making adjustments in the config file, but nothing seems to work, It's always zoomed in and in the upper left corner of the screen :/

what's the most popular mod that gets played? I would love to play online against other, I never got to as a kid. Would be pretty cool.

So I downloaded the DSL 2.2 from https://gametechmods.com/forums/installation-support/dsl-full-download!/ and it works. So I'll be playing that for now until i can get some help with the base game.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 10:50:09 AM »
Hi there, welcome to GTM!

Try replacing the ra2.cfg in your game folder with the version I've attached to this post. If that doesn't work, try changing the line 'fullscreen=1' to 'fullscreen=0'. You might also want to try changing the scaling settings for your GPU to none or aspect ration, instead of fullscreen. This will stop your GPU from stretching the 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio to fill your 21:9 monitor.

also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Ka0sGh0sT

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »
sadly none of those worked. My graphics card was set to aspect, but I stilled changed it to none, and even tried fullscreen, and that didn't work.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »
Odd, can you post a screenshot of the issue?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 02:08:29 PM »
tbh, just set fullscreen to 0 and res to 1920X1080, ra2 in wider than 16:9 format is not really great. Tip: Set compatibility mode to windows 7, so it doesnt crash in menu. Also get DSC pack for variety of extenders, and maybe dsl reborn ai. Also welcome to gtm!
EDIT: for 1080p, this ui fix is better
https://gametechmods.com/forums/downloads/?sa=view;down=323

Offline Ka0sGh0sT

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 06:31:07 PM »
i attached a screenshot. I did add the I fix there and still get this. I already set compatibility to windows 7 trying to see if maybe that would help the screen.

that screenshot is full screen, but it does the same for windowed as well, just has a title bar. I even tried it in 640x480 windowed and it's still zoomed in like that. no idea why. i mihgt not be able to play the base game. The DSL version does work for me at least.

Untitled.jpg
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:57:37 AM by 090901 »

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 07:00:39 PM »
your username looks familiar, are you sure you didnt make an account here before?

welcome to the forum, in any case! hope you stick around and build some cool bots.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 06:40:09 AM »
Hey there! 🙂
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 07:17:31 AM »
Welcome!  :bigsmile:
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Ra2Winner999

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • guys terraria 1.4 is out
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 07:23:31 AM »
i attached a screenshot. I did add the I fix there and still get this. I already set compatibility to windows 7 trying to see if maybe that would help the screen.

that screenshot is full screen, but it does the same for windowed as well, just has a title bar. I even tried it in 640x480 windowed and it's still zoomed in like that. no idea why. i mihgt not be able to play the base game. The DSL version does work for me at least.

I think DSL is better anyway. I got a version with dsl 2.1 preinstalled. I also downloaded 2.2 from there.

I always longed for the easy stock ai though... before i found this place.
the heavy is dead

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 07:58:14 AM »
Maybe try downloading a fresh copy of stock from here? If all else fails you could rename your stock game's UI folder and copy over the UI folder from your DSL install. It's certainly not an issue with RA2 itself (as DSL is working) so it must be an issue with a config or UI file.

Offline Ka0sGh0sT

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 08:20:41 PM »
Maybe try downloading a fresh copy of stock from here? If all else fails you could rename your stock game's UI folder and copy over the UI folder from your DSL install. It's certainly not an issue with RA2 itself (as DSL is working) so it must be an issue with a config or UI file.

it's a fresh copy.

I'll just stick to the DSL game for now. it works. i did have it crash on me, so i'm going to probably have to run that in win7 compatibility.