Author Topic: ghetto testing weapons pt3: ironforge  (Read 175 times)

Offline geese

• boomer brawl
  • Rep: 23
  • enter boomer brawl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
ghetto testing weapons pt3: ironforge
« on: June 28, 2020, 04:13:27 AM »
i had nothing else to do so why not?

setup is the same as the one used in dsl, a vs with cage trap, and the test bot spawns on top. the vs has two med zteks for the weapons, 8 weapons on two discs for all of the tests, and the armor used on the drop bot is steel 10

steel blade, 360dp, 5kgs, 1670hp

cutting edge - 366dp, 6kgs, 1970hp

battleaxe - 360dp, 4.5kgs, 1500hp

crushing tooth - 340dp, 5kgs, 1800hp

beater bar 240dp, 5kgs, 2500hp

obviously different setups will give you different results, and this is only really relative for gutrippers that use spin motors, but i think it helps prove what most of us already know. i will say that the 5kg blade still has a place in the meta for bots that use flails or bursts since it is a pure piercing component. can't really say the same for the battleaxe, which i think anyone who has played ironforge can agree is arguably the worst non-sledge weapon

also i'll just post it here since theres no real discussion elsewhere:
-  a stronger weight to efficiency curve. maybe not as strong as the one in 2.2, but right now the larger weapon variants are almost always worse than spamming the smaller ones, and sledges are always a meme weapon
- concussion based weapons are way too strong compared to piercing focused weapons. the 83.3c = 166.6p formula really doesn't work in a meta where flails are a rarity, and burst motor popups are fairly inferior to pistons
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 03:08:48 AM by geese »
Come on guys just leave him alone.  No forum rule exists that ban players from showcasing useless ugly bots.

Offline geese

• boomer brawl
  • enter boomer brawl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: ghetto testing weapons pt3: ironforge
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 06:55:20 PM »
to give some more context, I did most of these tests multiple times, and usually they were very consistent. if there was any variance, it was only by about a second each time.

also here's the dp mixes for each weapon
-Steel Blade
Entirely piercing
-Cutting Edge
1/2 piercing, 1/2 concussion
-Battle Axe
1/3 piercing, 2/3 concussion
-Crushing Tooth
Entirely concussion
-Hammer
Entirely concussion
Come on guys just leave him alone.  No forum rule exists that ban players from showcasing useless ugly bots.

Offline draker585

• The New Fella'
  • Rep: 0
  • remover of braincells
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: draker585 #2791
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 03:31:47 PM »
i don't understand the test, how does it work?
Awards: being in the chipwreck of the zoomer national anthem with my dual npc
top 16 of Human BBQ 2

Offline geese

• boomer brawl
  • enter boomer brawl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 08:04:54 PM »
i don't understand the test, how does it work?
you drop a bot on top of another and gutrip it

Offline geese

• boomer brawl
  • enter boomer brawl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 03:24:25 AM »
piston test

test bot had the largest piston, 3 of each weapon, and a trapper to make sure the target bot was always the same amount of distance away from the weapon

on average
crushing tooth: 5200
pole spike: 4200
iron spike: 6000
battleaxe : 4200
cutting edge: 3400
steel blade: 2600
ninja star: 7500-8000+ (most variance)
beater: 3500

the ninja star result is more than likely something to do with their frequency value of 4. as we've learned from mech discs and ant blades, frequency tends to behave a straight damage multiplier in certain scenarios (notice how the damage recieved is also doubled). as for why crushing teeth and beaters do so well, both weapons are pure concussion, and concussion damage is based on momentum which pistons are very good at generating. likewise, it's also why pure piercing weapons like blades and pole spikes are much weaker than their dp suggest

i'll do burst motors next, but i'm 99% sure that it's going to be either ninja stars or pole spikes that take the top spot (or steel blades if you're going for something like a popup)

fwiw, i still think ironforge has fairly good weapon variety. granted this is probably more in vein of each bot type having a different top weapon pick, and not that all weapons are a viable pick for all bot types (which i don't think is necessarily bad, iirc all the weapons had a suggested use/specific bot type in mind). spinners will use beaters and crushers, hammers and pistons will use irons/ninja stars, popups and flails will use steel blades, razors, and sickles, and maybe rammers can use sledges??

but yeah, tldr: dp isn't 100% accurate of a weapons actual damage potential, and its kind of impossible to condense both piercing and concussion into a single number
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:19:53 AM by geese »