Author Topic: Compilation of Useful RA2 Links  (Read 28847 times)

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Compilation of Useful RA2 Links
« on: June 23, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »
10/06/2017: Many of the links are now covered by the tutorial index and have been removed. Added a few things

I noticed both first and second-hand that quite a few pages on GTM get posted a lot in showcases or are important as reference, but are tricky to navigate to normally. This is a nice compilation of all those links in one place.

If you are new to the site, I highly recommend checking out the Tutorials and Tips index first.

Reference and Tutorials
Mythbusters: RA2 Edition by Clickbeetle
Here, Clickbeetle performs tests for RA2 myths such as bigger chassis having more HP than smaller ones.

Component HPs and Fractures by Trovaner
Stats showing how much damage components can take before breaking off, if not attached directly to the chassis.

RA2 Tutorials on RA2Wiki
A few tutorials hosted on our wiki, but they are a bit outdated so try using them alongside other references.

Bot Types on RA2Wiki
Nice list of the typical bot types seen across all mods.

RA2 Glitches on RA2Wiki
Good for reference to some lesser-known glitches such as Servo Boosting.

Quick Guide to AI'ing by Starcore
Shows how to use pre-existing bindings to easily AI your bots.

36HS Example by Sage
This HW bot type is identified by 36 maces or irons on 4 tribars, 4 HPZ weapon and 2 HPZ drive motors, and 2 black batteries. It is considered as an identifier that a builder is becoming very experienced, not to mention it does very well in battle.

BFEing DSA by Clickbeetle
Short tutorial on getting DSA onto a bot that already has a different armour selected, without having to rebuild the bot. As it involves BFE, Notepad++ is needed.

Format of the .bot File by mjpieters
Very detailed outline of what all the lines and values in a .bot file correspond to.

RA2's Python API by Trovaner
List of available .py functions for use in AI tactics, arena implementation, personal testing, etc.

Compact Chaining by tankcat
Compact Chaining Example 2 by Geice
A method of chaining motors that is more compact while achieving the same effect. The two pictures shown are just examples; any extender setup that gets the axles of the two motors more or less aligned will work. You can use this fact to modify your setup to focus on saving weight, getting more out of the rule of 7, or stability.

Batteryless Spinner Glitch by FOTEPX
A curious glitch that enables spinning motors to work (albeit with very slow acceleration) without battery power.

Downloads
Full Game Downloads on GameTechMods
Includes Stock v1.4, DSL v2.1 and v2.2, Ironforge v1.1, and Robot Wars RA2.

Custom Components Downloads on GameTechMods
Custom components including SmartZones and antiballasts.

Component Freedom Mod by Serge
Something you can download to remove the limitations of the bot lab, including rule of 7. Be sure to read tournament rules on whether component freedom is allowed before you enter.

AI Essentials by Clickbeetle
A very helpful compilation of .py files needed for AI'ing bots. Though you may find many of these in AI packs, this has the "official" versions.

AI Repository by apanx
Huge collection of AI files updated from Clickbeetle's release for better flexibility. If you only require a select few and don't want your AI folder clogged up, make sure to read the code/documentation and check that out of the ones you download, their dependent files are downloaded too.

WinRAR Downloads
7-Zip Downloads
Applications for opening .rar, .zip, and other compressed files. Can also combine files into archives to be uploaded to GTM.

Notepad++
Source code editor needed for BFE, or bot file editing. However, do not mess with your .bot files unless you know what you're doing, and never use BFE to make unfair modifications to a bot for tournament or challenge use. Some examples of legal use of BFE are changing how shiny the chassis is or getting DSA on a bot as mentioned above.

movepixel by nightcracker, courtesy of Mr. AS
Installation Guide
Laptop Version by Sage
A great tool that makes stacking and component placement much less of a hassle, letting you move the mouse one pixel at a time.

Baseplate Grid for Blueprint by Noodle, courtesy of SKBT
Replaces the image in the background of the blueprint on the chassis editor with a grid that almost exactly matches the one used for the baseplate. While building your chassis, you can see exactly how big your chassis is going to be in terms of those little squares that appear at the bottom of every chassis. Just remember to use the right resolution.

Bot Height Ruler by Trovaner
A ruler for the chassis height editor.

AI Packs
AI Packs and Patches on GameTechMods
Includes Starcore v4, ASAI, NAR AI, 123AI, ReForged, and more.

ReStocked AI v0.1 Beta by infiniteinertia and co.
Older AI pack featuring challenging rebuilds of the Stock AI by some of the most experienced builders of Stock. Also see Sage's Robot Designs

infiniteinertia AI v0.1 Beta by infiniteinertia
Updated Bindings for infiniteinertia AI
Currently only with bots from infiniteinertia, this AI pack is still considered one of the hardest in Stock.

Ultimate Stock AI Pack by ianh05
This huge AI pack combines Starcore, infinitenertia, ReStocked, PYS, BBEANS, and Stock Mini's AW AI to make over 150 teams. Now you can fight bots from any pack without having to close the game!

Showcases
These are the showcases by some of the most advanced builders in Stock and DSL, provided to you to serve as inspiration for your own bots, or simply just for displaying the potential of RA2. Be sure to check them out and see some awesome designs! It's perfectly fine to clone some of these bots for you to benefit as a builder, but if you showcase any of them, be sure to give credit to the original builder.

Stock
Beetle Bros.
Clickbeetle
Scrap Daddy
Sage
pyscolone
R0B0SH4RK
Pwnator
NFX (may require a bit of browsing since most of the earlier images are 404'd)
Virus Bomb
Geice

DSL
Pressure
Clickbeetle
MikeNCR
Naryar
Urjak
Scrap Daddy
123savethewhales
Virus Bomb
Squirrel_Monkey
SKBT
NFX
ty4er

Ironforge
Reier
Craaig
Badger
RedAce

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Compilation of Useful RA2 Links
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 01:52:52 PM »
So no mention of NAR AI, yet FOTEPX's Batteryless Spinner Glitch is here ?

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »
^this

Offline NFX

• SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
So no mention of NAR AI, yet FOTEPX's Batteryless Spinner Glitch is here ?
That threw me a little bit. Nar AI is the pinnacle of DSL building, and the Batteryless Spinner glitch is, it needs to be said, pretty much useless. It seems to be a list of useful links mostly related to Stock, though, with the 36HS link and Restocked and INF AI, that might be the reason Nar AI isn't in there.

This will certainly save time, though, we just need to make sure the threads don't get locked or deleted in some way.
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
This looks very helpful, will probably help a lot of people. :)

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »
Maybe we should divide that thread into Stock and DSL parts.

Besides NAR AI is not exactly the pinnacle of DSL building, considering the amount of outdated or just plain average bots in there. I'm pretty sure 123AI takes the cake. It's just like Starcore AI and Inf AI.

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 02:28:58 PM »
lol I don't build DSL. That's why I asked for suggestions. If you do have any, a link would be nice; I have no idea where to find the latest Nar/123 AI.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 02:33:40 PM »
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 11:17:18 PM »

Awesome idea *stickies*

Ill re-upload a bunch of my stuff soon that went down with my website and you can add it to the list..

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 10:07:47 AM »
Thanks, Joe!

Ill re-upload a bunch of my stuff soon that went down with my website and you can add it to the list..
Cool. :O

Is there a page somewhere that lists all the HPs of the Stock components? I remember Trovaner posting the stats in a topic somewhere and then Sage getting confused that Snowplows only had 200 HP or something.

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 09:45:16 PM »
Added Trov's Bot Height Ruler and philetbabe's (?) AI Chart and organized the links.

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 04:13:43 PM »
Component Stats: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php/topic,7130.msg367557.html#msg377091
Ahh I was hoping there was an actual page for that somewhere. :P

And I'm avoiding any links to topics from the Tutorials and Tips section since they're, you know, already in Tutorials and Tips; which is basically this thread as a sub-forum.

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »
Daringly delicious descriptions added! Also added NAR AI and compact chaining. I need help with a description for NAR AI though...and pretty much DSL stuff in general. :P

Any opinions on the showcases idea?

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
Will use those if the idea takes off; I was asking more about if anyone thinks it would be a good idea in the first place.

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 06:33:15 PM »
Daringly delicious descriptions added! Also added NAR AI and compact chaining. I need help with a description for NAR AI though...and pretty much DSL stuff in general. :P

Play DSL.

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 07:40:08 PM »

Play DSL.
care to expand upon that post ?

and im not sure if theres any objections on giving good showcases to look though, it seems like a good idea

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 05:57:50 AM »
Noodle's blueprint grid to baseplate grid:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php/topic,4873.0.html