Author Topic: Arena Ideas - Post 'Em Here!  (Read 82831 times)

Offline Kid_Krusher13

• Middleweight
  • Rep: -9
  • Talk Louder, Hit Harder
    • http://www.facebook.com/j
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Arena Ideas - Post 'Em Here!
« Reply #380 on: August 16, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »
Someone should recreate the B-Movie arena from Destruction Derby Arenas. Its on top of a giant skyscraper with 2 giant robotic dragons (optional) on the sides that breathe FIRE. Every 30 seconds or so, the edge of the arena drops out, so by about 1 min remaining in a 3 minute match, all thats left is a slight hill in the middle of the arena and the edge of it being about 3 feet wide. Maybe have a flame grill at the top of the hill. Have sirens that initiate the drop sequence of the arena. That would be SO sick.
I'm fly like a birdie, under par 1 stroke.

Offline GoldenFox93

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -5
  • The Guy
    • http://www.facebook.com/h
    • http://www.youtube.com/ro
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #381 on: November 22, 2013, 06:07:43 PM »
Someone should recreate the B-Movie arena from Destruction Derby Arenas. Its on top of a giant skyscraper with 2 giant robotic dragons (optional) on the sides that breathe FIRE. Every 30 seconds or so, the edge of the arena drops out, so by about 1 min remaining in a 3 minute match, all thats left is a slight hill in the middle of the arena and the edge of it being about 3 feet wide. Maybe have a flame grill at the top of the hill. Have sirens that initiate the drop sequence of the arena. That would be SO sick.
Great to see someone else who's played that! I always quite liked the Red Line Arena, myself- you know, the one with the Pistons and the Pits on either side.

"Cries and screams are music to my ears."
-Soundwave

Offline Kid_Krusher13

• Middleweight
  • Rep: -9
  • Talk Louder, Hit Harder
    • http://www.facebook.com/j
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #382 on: November 22, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »
Great to see someone else who's played that! I always quite liked the Red Line Arena, myself- you know, the one with the Pistons and the Pits on either side.
My personal favorite was the Titan one, the one with the giant robot and huge clock in the middle.
I'm fly like a birdie, under par 1 stroke.

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 9
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #383 on: December 10, 2013, 01:48:45 AM »
If any of you want to give mapping a shot at a new in-development RA2 styled game, send me an IM or something. You can use pretty much any program you like to create the map (though I recommend blender). Also you don't need to worry about scripting hazards. As long as you're using Blender I can take apart the map and add the scripts to the game. I'm currently toying around with a rooftop arena myself.
An Error Has Occurred!
The username you tried to use contains the reserved name 'It'. Please try another username.

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
« Reply #384 on: December 10, 2013, 02:00:48 AM »
If any of you want to give mapping a shot at a new in-development RA2 styled game, send me an IM or something. You can use pretty much any program you like to create the map (though I recommend blender). Also you don't need to worry about scripting hazards. As long as you're using Blender I can take apart the map and add the scripts to the game. I'm currently toying around with a rooftop arena myself.
Ill export an unseen arena from sketchup into blender. Ill give you a description as well if you want.

Offline Scrapyard24c

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Wrecking robots since 2011
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #385 on: December 10, 2013, 08:02:02 AM »

Another good one could be based off the bonus destruction bowl Rough Justice.  The announcer best puts this arena in the intro he gives in this video.

Battlebots 7: LW Quarterfinals - Voltergeist
Battlebots 7: MW Quarterfinals - Dr. Demolition
Battlebots 8: MW Quarterfinals - Dr. Demolition
Battlebots 9: HW Quarterfinals - Texas Tornado
Battlebots 9: Middleweight Champion - Dr. Demolition
Minor Inconveniences: Runners-up - Hot Rod/Voltergeist
TGRR2 IRL: Texas Tornado 11 wins - 10 losses

Offline GoldenFox93

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -5
  • The Guy
    • http://www.facebook.com/h
    • http://www.youtube.com/ro
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #386 on: December 10, 2013, 11:37:08 AM »
Ah yes, I remember those two Arenas as well. I could definitely imagine Rough Justice working well, particularly with that giant swinging Mace in the middle of the Arena.

Mind you, I also quite liked the Colosseum Arena as well, with the Flippers and that Firepit in the middle- "Today, Lions would fear being thrown to these drivers!"

"Cries and screams are music to my ears."
-Soundwave

Offline Scrapyard24c

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Wrecking robots since 2011
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #387 on: December 11, 2013, 02:59:24 PM »
Another place that could host a fight could be based off the Meat Your Maker level from Twisted Metal Small Brawl. Having to deal with hazards such as saws and a meat grinder could prove interesting.
Battlebots 7: LW Quarterfinals - Voltergeist
Battlebots 7: MW Quarterfinals - Dr. Demolition
Battlebots 8: MW Quarterfinals - Dr. Demolition
Battlebots 9: HW Quarterfinals - Texas Tornado
Battlebots 9: Middleweight Champion - Dr. Demolition
Minor Inconveniences: Runners-up - Hot Rod/Voltergeist
TGRR2 IRL: Texas Tornado 11 wins - 10 losses

Offline duncanrp

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #388 on: December 21, 2013, 11:31:21 AM »
has anyone / is there a way that you could build the gaunlet from s1/2 of robot wars or technogames that would be awsome

Offline AlexGRFan97

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -7
  • Cheeki Breeki.
    • AlexGRFan97
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #389 on: December 21, 2013, 12:14:01 PM »
It can be done, it's just a matter of time and skill.

Offline Lemonism

• Rep: 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #390 on: December 21, 2013, 12:19:51 PM »
has anyone / is there a way that you could build the gaunlet from s1/2 of robot wars or technogames that would be awsome
It is possible to do, I'm sure, but I doubt it would work very well within the game, since the game was designed for robots fighting and not special events. I could be wrong here, but that's what I would say.
There's also the time + skill factor, as Alex says.
Download Mortis.py
Download some of my DSL2.2 Bots

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #391 on: December 23, 2013, 08:59:30 AM »
https://www.mediafire.com/?1mmxswckfzxm3a9

is there a way to convert this into an arena?

Offline Caveman117

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #392 on: March 09, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »
NEED A LONGER REPAIR TIMER

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #393 on: March 09, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »
NEED A LONGER REPAIR TIMER
Wrong thread, please don't bump old threads, we can see your post without massive letters.
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline jackster96

• Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #394 on: July 30, 2014, 05:44:52 AM »
Bump sorry, but has anyone made the sumo from robot wars?
Hobbies; table tennis, archery, pool, gaming pc and xbox.

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #395 on: July 30, 2014, 06:22:11 AM »
I've not been in this thread before so excuse me if these have already been answered.

Does the Ice Arena in DSL, on the mountain with the spikes at the bottom, have a less grippy floor than other arenas?
How could I change the grip of the floor in say the Combat Arena?

Also is it possible to alter the strength of gravity in an arena?

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #396 on: July 30, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »

I don't believe so. Your best option for that kinda game though is probably the ClawTop arena.

I've not been in this thread before so excuse me if these have already been answered.

Does the Ice Arena in DSL, on the mountain with the spikes at the bottom, have a less grippy floor than other arenas?

I dunno about the floor grip but I don't think gravity can be altered. I know to create a false high-gravity Joe added kind of an invisible crusher pushing down, so I'd assume you couldn't change gravity.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline playzooki

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #397 on: July 30, 2014, 10:03:34 AM »

I don't believe so. Your best option for that kinda game though is probably the ClawTop arena.

I dunno about the floor grip but I don't think gravity can be altered. I know to create a false high-gravity Joe added kind of an invisible crusher pushing down, so I'd assume you couldn't change gravity.
gravity can be altered, there is some cheat thing on the beetlebros website that can alter gravity

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #398 on: July 30, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »
Gravity can be set using plus.gravity(x, y, z).

IIRC, you can set the friction of the floor to make it more slippery.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #399 on: July 30, 2014, 01:16:31 PM »
Ah, Joe must've done that crusher so that the gravity was so strong it was crushing them, I guess. Good to know.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15