Author Topic: Anything big / new since Ive been gone?  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Anything big / new since Ive been gone?
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 09:43:22 AM »
RA3 came out and it is awesome .... did you buy it yet?
i love that game !
How did you know I was going to say that? Just a shame that the Razor Tips aren't as good in this one than in previous games.
nary when he found out:  :vista:
Oyea, they made special grippy components for making walkers.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 09:46:43 AM »
so what the heck is this "I'm back" thread doing in modifications and designs ?

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:51 AM »
so what the heck is this "I'm back" thread doing in modifications and designs ?
He wants to know what has been released, like AI Packs and stuff.

Offline NFX

• Rep: 11
  • SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »
i love that game !
How did you know I was going to say that? Just a shame that the Razor Tips aren't as good in this one than in previous games.
Now they WERE useful. Wooden armour, though, not so. Though the splintering effect when it got hit was very nice indeed.
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Team 9

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 10:07:30 AM »
the directX 10 really makes it look nice.

Offline Scrap Daddy

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 11:02:07 AM »
Goose! whats up man!

pretty much what everybody else said. I found out how to activate hax mode consistently and sage an r0b0 helped to find the limits to it. You might not have been around for snapper loading either.

aside from that, the Nar AI packs for dsl, inf AI for stock and an almost complete pack called restocked where we rebuilt every stock bot to current stock standards.

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 11:57:30 AM »
Now that I'm thoroughly confused, lets get back to changes in RA2.

The community:
  • The community is still pretty divided between stock and DSL but it seems like DSL has more support than ever.
  • A majority of stock builders still prefer stacking and other glitches but some people favor realism.
  • There are more tournaments now than there used to be but rules have been instated to regulate a constant flow of tournaments that will hopefully finish in a timely manner.
  • The challenge board was added as a means of comparing one's abilities to the skills of other members.
AI Packs:
  • NAR AI - a derivative of DSL
  • Backlash - a discontinued total conversion with the only release being a beta.
  • INF AI - a stock AI pack that I would consider at a level slightly lower than PYS AI.
  • RA2 ReStocked - another stock AI pack that focused on rebuilding all the stock AI with today's standards (unrealistic and much more challenging).
  • Backlash - a discontinued total conversion with the only release being a beta.
  • BBEANS AI - contains all the AI bots from BBEANS 1, 3, and 5 plus a few of the bots that were substituted during the sign-up periods. It also contains the prizes and arenas that were used (and one surprise arena).
  • DSL BBEANS AI - contains all the AI bots from BBEANS 2, 4, and 6 plus a few of the bots that were substituted during the sign-up periods. It also contains the prizes and arenas that were used.
Glitches:
  • HAX Mode - a glitch that allows you to disable the collision meshes of baseplate components. In most cases, this glitch is treated the same as AAM due to the similar effects.
  • Batteryless Spinner Glitch - a glitch that allows you to spin your weapon motors without batteries.
Arenas:
  • The BBEANS arenas
  • Online arena (in my sig) - an extremely low lag arena that actually turns bots partially invisible.
  • I think Madiaba released a custom Garage Arena but the link appears to be gone/missing.
  • Backlashes arenas are being moved into G.K.'s arena compilation but that has yet to be released.
  • Numerous other arenas have been made but I can't think of any others that were publicly released.
Components:
  • A new FB Component Pack which includes rockets and a force-field generator. I'm not sure but the lasers might also be new for you.
  • Deodorant flamethrower and a pivot device that can move in every direction (the name escapes me ATM)
  • Madiaba's Smartzones V2 have become the new standard for AIing bots
  • Some people decided that stock needed the 140 extenders but they were obviously unfinished (and as such left out for a reason).
  • At the same time, they also decided to add text files for the motor GMF that isn't being used. This one is strictly considered a custom component because it WILL crash a game that doesn't have the text file in it.
These are just the changes of the top of my head so I'm sure I'm missing quite a few things.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »
Backlash is so good Trov included it twice!
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 01:00:38 PM »
Oh my god, it's Goose. I don't remember you being active since the official forums went down :O

Anyways, probably one of the more significant discoveries in RA2 in your absence was something we like to call "Hax Mode." Read more on it here: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php/topic,7468.0.html

Other than that, we've just kept pushing in-game limits and all that fun stuff. Apart from some AI packs, there hasn't been a major mod since DSL 2.0 dropped, so you haven't really missed much there (although Naryar did try to "rebalance" DSL on his own). I'm sure you'll get caught up quickly.
looks like the last cat is out of the bag. 

Its pretty cool that a lot of the people I remember are still around.

is "IRL" trying to follow real life rules, like no crazy stacking and whatnot?

"IRL" is basically a building style in DSL that arose when some builders didn't like the inherent "unrealisticness" that DSL promoted. Although there is supposed to be the realistic rule in DSL, it never prohibited things like flail weaponry, popups and jugglers. So when DSL became more and more unrealistic, IRL developed as a trend that promoted building bots that emulated those we saw in Robot Wars and Battlebots by using fewer weapons, no crazy glitches, and generally simple chassis shapes. Usually, IRL bots are not meant to be combat effective and are mainly built for showcasing exclusively.

Offline Jack Daniels

• Rep: 9
  • Losing Tournaments with Style
    • matt.morrill.12
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • My abandoned online RPG project.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »
Yay. Goose is back.

His Pojo animated gif haunted me for days though...

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 02:42:18 PM »
i love that game !
Now they WERE useful. Wooden armour, though, not so. Though the splintering effect when it got hit was very nice indeed.

I loved the ability to unlock the BattleBots competitors too. Love fighting Ziggo with my brick rammer :P

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »
Trov chassis glitch (seriously how did you forget that your names in it)- will let you make your chassis super thin in areas but you might already know about this and the containment cube was released by Click. Also, the online arena never shows up in my game even after I downloaded it.

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »
The Trov Glitch was first announced on the old forums. I thought about mentioning it anyways but I'm not that kind of guy (thats partially why it took a year for my glitch to resurface on these forums).

The Online Arena should be extracted directly to your arenas folder. It will only be visible when you are playing Deathmatch mode, though because I wanted to be as minimalistic as possible. If I ever get around to it there is actually quite a bit that I could still do to make it better.

Anyways just to make a correction, its Madiaba's v3 Smartzones not v2. There was also a few other components including the joust target, xtek, gas engine, badnik's component pack, 123STW's component pack (and mod for that matter), and JoeBlo's weight makers that I forgot to mention.

In terms of arenas, there was also the Musicbox, Keznorg, and Seizure Arenas.

I've yet to start-up my main computer so I'm certain I'm still missing quite a few other things. In fact, I'm almost positive that Gazea2 released some components that I'm forgetting.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 11:16:49 PM »
Where is that musicbox arena?

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 11:23:17 PM »
In fact, I'm almost positive that Gazea2 released some components that I'm forgetting.
yeah he said hes working on ra2inbow but hasn't released the components though, there are a few downloads for some components in the ra2inbow development thread though

Where is that musicbox arena?
http://www.madiaba.gametechmods.com/MusicBoxArena.rar
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 01:31:09 AM »
Serge's Ring Arena!
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 01:40:43 AM »
JoeBlo's CCIV arena...

Offline goose

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 03:56:33 AM »
Now that I'm thoroughly confused, lets get back to changes in RA2.

The community:
  • The community is still pretty divided between stock and DSL but it seems like DSL has more support than ever.
  • A majority of stock builders still prefer stacking and other glitches but some people favor realism.
  • There are more tournaments now than there used to be but rules have been instated to regulate a constant flow of tournaments that will hopefully finish in a timely manner.
  • The challenge board was added as a means of comparing one's abilities to the skills of other members.
AI Packs:
  • NAR AI - a derivative of DSL
  • INF AI - a stock AI pack that I would consider at a level slightly lower than PYS AI.
  • RA2 ReStocked - another stock AI pack that focused on rebuilding all the stock AI with today's standards (unrealistic and much more challenging).
  • BBEANS AI - contains all the AI bots from BBEANS 1, 3, and 5 plus a few of the bots that were substituted during the sign-up periods. It also contains the prizes and arenas that were used (and one surprise arena).
  • DSL BBEANS AI - contains all the AI bots from BBEANS 2, 4, and 6 plus a few of the bots that were substituted during the sign-up periods. It also contains the prizes and arenas that were used.
Glitches:
  • HAX Mode - a glitch that allows you to disable the collision meshes of baseplate components. In most cases, this glitch is treated the same as AAM due to the similar effects.
  • Batteryless Spinner Glitch - a glitch that allows you to spin your weapon motors without batteries.
Arenas:
  • The BBEANS arenas
  • Online arena (in my sig) - an extremely low lag arena that actually turns bots partially invisible.
  • I think Madiaba released a custom Garage Arena but the link appears to be gone/missing.
  • Backlashes arenas are being moved into G.K.'s arena compilation but that has yet to be released.
  • Numerous other arenas have been made but I can't think of any others that were publicly released.
Components:
  • A new FB Component Pack which includes rockets and a force-field generator. I'm not sure but the lasers might also be new for you.
  • Deodorant flamethrower and a pivot device that can move in every direction (the name escapes me ATM)
  • Madiaba's Smartzones V2 have become the new standard for AIing bots
  • Some people decided that stock needed the 140 extenders but they were obviously unfinished (and as such left out for a reason).
  • At the same time, they also decided to add text files for the motor GMF that isn't being used. This one is strictly considered a custom component because it WILL crash a game that doesn't have the text file in it.
These are just the changes of the top of my head so I'm sure I'm missing quite a few things.

Woah, Thanks man.
sippin' on my Honeydew bubble tea.
party in my tummy. yummy, yummy.