Author Topic: A new ruleset for IRL ?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A new ruleset for IRL ?
« on: May 14, 2015, 07:28:33 AM »
starting to get drunk so my idea should be good

So, as I posted in badnik's showcase lately, IRL tournaments are not good because let's face it, the tournaments are by themselves in DSL-S tournament format with IRL bots.

And the fact that these days 80% of tourneys are IRL (and i'm not even exaggerating) means that, as people want to win tourneys (which is normal), they tryhard in IRL.

However, IRL is about cool looks and interesting designs. Yes it is also about winning but this is secondary. See a paradox there ? Good.

Literally the only reward about cool looks is the award. And even then there's only one winner per award, so all the cool bots entered aren't rewarded.

So I propose a few changes to the IRL ruleset :

-All matches who are not KO's or OOTA's should be judge's decisions, and there should be the following voting possibilities : Aggression (what bot was the most aggressive, Damage(self explanatory), Match Control (whoever controlled the match the most : gives bonus to weaponless wedges and flippers) and Good Show (whoever bot put on the best show).

If the judges are unsure, THEN it goes by points.

-Chassis armor should be strengthened, even the DSL ones, so gut-rippers don't kill easily. Alternatively, one should find a way to give the chassis more fracture.

-Seeds should be put in place, with the coolest bots getting top seeds, and the most tryhard/borderline DSL-S getting low seeds. Top seeds should get one or two additional lifes, depending on coolness. As in, if they are in loser's bracket and get eliminated, they lose on life and are reintroduced into the loser's bracket. Very low seed bots should even get eliminated immediately if they lose one match, and not get into the loser's bracket.

This to keep IRL being IRL and not "DSL-S with IRL restrictions.".

What do you think about that ? I'm aware the reintroduction into loser's bracket due to seeds will need additional bracket work.

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A new ruleset for IRL ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 07:38:56 AM »
-All matches who are not KO's or OOTA's should be judge's decisions, and there should be the following voting possibilities : Aggression (what bot was the most aggressive, Damage(self explanatory), Match Control (whoever controlled the match the most : gives bonus to weaponless wedges and flippers) and Good Show (whoever bot put on the best show).

Isn't this how like 90% of IRL tournaments do it anyway?

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 11:12:07 AM »
I give bonuses to flippers for the reason that they're underpowered. Most IRL judges dont go by ingame points. And the way I see it with the seedings, the coolest robot would be put with the most try hard. I do like the idea of strengthened chassis though
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »
im from 2008 what is irl

is it like crappy building
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 02:56:03 PM »
im from 2008 what is irl

is it like crappy building

Nah, it's building artbots with a few additional rules to make the bots more like real-life ones.

Of course, bad IRL builders think IRL is like crappy building, though.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
-Chassis armor should be strengthened, even the DSL ones, so gut-rippers don't kill easily. Alternatively, one should find a way to give the chassis more fracture.

I don't think there's a way to change the fracture of non-components, but my solution would be to reduce weapon DP (To stock? A little lower then stock?) until only solid hits (i.e not glancing blows) break 50 points. This would help flippers too, as damage from falling tends to be around there without making the arena itself a damaging surface. You'd have to be careful as I've never really thought RA2 handled low damage attacks well, though if that's true or not I'm not sure. (Maybe stuff like the ramplate just sucks for.. well, ramming)

If I was to attempt to make a game rebalance again, this is the direction I would be going in.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 03:57:45 PM »
We can also downpower components, yes, but it'll be an IRL mod then.

Considering IRL is really only popular for DSL 2.1, it shouldn't be too much of a mod.

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 04:04:55 PM »
Honest question from somebody (hehehe) very out of the loop. How is Ironforge doing tournament-wise? Is there a lot of support there? I ask this both because I honestly don't know and am interested, but also because it's very hard to establish a mod at all, so that may be worth looking into. But Ironforge from what I've seen has lots of organic, interesting, and unique designs because it's in the early stages before the best robots start to lead the overall design strategy in a certain direction (AKA flails becoming a DSL staple around BBEANS 6). So it could be another fun mod to expand interest into.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 04:09:35 PM »
IMO Ironforge is better for IRL fights than DSL

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »
lol i remember back a few years ago when IRL was considered the scum of the earth

how times have changed

honestly i never cared either way
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline HereticBlue

• Rep: 22
  • Team Immersion Robotics
    • View Profile
    • Team Immersion
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 05:29:21 AM »
Rules will have to be changed for IRL when the mod comes out anyway. :P The balancing for more powerful weapons and stuff to make RA2 act like robots today is like.... Dude. I'm going to have to find out how to change the in game weight limits. To balance a LW's weapons to give it the same power and strength as a real life FW means the buggers have to weigh about 300-320kg.

Anywhore... In the mod everything causes damage equally. Spinners moreso than others but only enough to rip a panel or two off. So you'd be able to score a match on the points alone and call it an accurate desicion haha.
Team Immersion - Vulture, Amnesia, Amnesia 2, Halcyon, Hysteria and many commissions!

https://m.facebook.com/teamimmersionrobotics/