Author Topic: A little question regarding newbies and DSL-IRL  (Read 12321 times)

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A little question regarding newbies and DSL-IRL
« on: June 24, 2013, 12:42:19 PM »
I noticed that most newbies pick up DSL-IRL building style and never tried something else. This bothers me (and venko), and i just wanted a little discussion about this.

Offline boombabyboom

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: A little question regarding newbies and DSL-IRL
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
its more fun and easy to build in

Offline ty4er

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »
its more fun and easy to build in
not always true

noobs build irl because other noobs (and badnik) tell them to. it's a lot easier to build in irl because you dont think about 'how can i make this bot have more weapons/drive' or anything like that. personally i think that people should build for the rule of cool more than irl, it looks a lot better and you dont think 'oh this bot has too many weapons what do i do' (although people shouldn't think that in any case anyway). the term irl can mean so much, and you aren't building up to any kind of level, which is why i think we should use the rule of cool in place of irl instead, for a better standard of building.

although i do think people should build dsl standard before any of this
DSL Showcase
is this bot don't lost all razors in a fight before do a damage thought

Offline AlexGRFan97

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -7
  • Cheeki Breeki.
    • AlexGRFan97
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »
Which is why there needs to be reforms. IRL is about an exact term as "Eurasia" is. There are many different subcategories, and some are just excuses for bad building.

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ...is more dangerous...
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
And the whole thing about IRL tournaments since that seems to rustle people's jimmies;

IRL bots can at least somewhat fight. Whenever I AI something that I've made (which was only once lol) I usually toss it in with a DSL replica, and it can definitely hold its own against one. It's not like these 'punching bags' are completely worthless, they can put on a bit of a fight, and so people fight them. And tournaments are made.

And then people (Like Fotepx) try to win those tournaments. Personally, outside of the botlab I think IRL is about making something look good and put on a good show.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »
Bwahaha this is game. I don't think this really matters all that much.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »
irl is chosen most of the time because its easier than putting effort into learning the mechanics of the game and becoming a better builder.

ideally a newbie would actually learn the ins-and-outs of basic dsl 101 (APs and sh**) then go on to IRL if they choose so. then there wont be ANY more S.H.I.E.L.D's failcase 2.0s that take ~30 pages to show any improvement at all.

other noobs (and badnik)
are you 100% certain theyre not one in the same...?
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline 123savethewhales

• Rep: 30
  • Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:46:02 PM »
Of course beginners likes IRL.  Since people cannot agree to what IRL is, everyone just create their own interpretations.  You can now throw extenders all over a place and call it a style.  There even seem to have a subculture that promotes IRL bots to be bad at fights.  And while people claim that IRL is about aesthetics, this isn't an art forum and you are most likely not going to get any useful art critiques.  Instead you will get the circle jerk and praise so long as it isn't butt ugly.

It's no wonder why new people are into IRL, IT'S ACTUALLY FUN.

By contrast, DSL standard is no fun at all.  All you get are people complaining you should use this and shouldn't use that, then you must go download and kill every bot in NAR AI and 123AI just to be average.  Once you hit average nobody cares, like literally.  0 replies for every new bots posted.  Way to go DSL standard, you suck.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 04:16:49 PM »
0 replies for every new bots posted.
It goes both ways...

Offline Merrick

• Rep: 3
  • Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 06:10:34 PM »
Ever since I was little I've wanted to design my own robots like the one I saw on the tv, so I'm very sorry if by doing what I love, I 'bother you'.

It's a game. I'll play it how I want.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 12:32:14 AM »
Going with Mazakari here. And I'm pretty sure I've only enticed one builder to build IRL, and he wanted to.

Offline Venko

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »
Here is what I think, about the bulding styles :

:thumbup Stock : It may don't have the variety or the balance of the DSL, but it's still cool. But some noobs/newbies can find it too hard, cos of the stacking, snapper loading and stuff.

:thumbup Stock noob level on purpose (but not stock IRL, it sux) : I'm OK with it, even some times I make a noob tournaments vs a noob AI or vs friends (they are noobs).

:thumbup DSL normal/standard : I'm not playing it, but I do respect it. If I ever build DSL, it will be the standard DSL. I remember the days, when all the members were building the both - DSL standard and stock, and it was cool. It just turns out, that even with the tries to balance it, in the end, some components are just better, like in stock, and I understand this, but I love stock with his unbalanced components, so the liking of DSL-S is not a problem.

:thumbdown DSL IRL  : The so called DSL-easy mode. The fact > , that my bots must be judged by a GTM members are they IRL or not, or a judges have to decide did I won or not, > alienates me from the IRL DSL. This is a game, the RA2 engine don't have the phisics of the real world, so if someone want to play something VERY realistic, then a real bot building in a garage is more recomended, but it's expensive tho.

:popcorn DSL 3 beta, Nar AI, 123's new TC and so on : not yet released/in a beta stage, so I can't comment them.

:thumbup Replica building : I'm OK with it, I even made 1 replica in stock long time ago.

Also, IMO, if you build stock, it makes you a better/hardcore builder overall ('cos stock is hard to build), so it makes the building easy later, when you move to the easier any DSL, but if you start with any DSL in the begining, later the stock will look very hard for you.

*post made more clear, in the terms of meaning, now*
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:24:14 PM by Venko »

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »
Well NFX made a good stock IRL bot, and so did Thy. And, building a real robot takes actual knowledge of the components :dumb). I'm just 15 year old idiot.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »
Chill out, boys. If you had to argue, then keep it civil.

That's it, you are warned. If I see any more insulting and flaming in this thread I will be merciless.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 03:12:10 PM »
Anyway if it's a game then we should be able to build what we want. If people want to build bots like in IRL then why not?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:00:36 PM by Trovaner »

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 03:14:55 PM »
I agree with Mazakari on this one.

Offline 123savethewhales

• Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »
Lol who wants to play DSL-S anyway?

Answer:  Nobody.

People play IRL because standard has turned to "MOAR RAZORZ".

Offline Venko

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 03:30:35 PM »
Anyway if it's a game then we should be able to build what we want. If people want to build bots like in IRL then why not?
Did I say, that I forbid (or force poeple or whatever) to others to play DSL IRL? I just posted MY OPINION and the reasons to not play it.
Everyone have the rights to play it, but I also have the rights to hate it, so I'm going to -rep the double standart people, that -rep me for not wanting it. Hating the IRL DSL is not againt the rules of this forum, you know. Why everytime when I post my opinion and the haters are not agree, they grudge/insult or - rep without any serious reason? Well then...

@ 123 : Obviously : I, Nary and some few others, but I have the rights to say what I think about the building styles.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:01:38 PM by Trovaner »

Offline Merrick

• Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 03:32:46 PM »
It's fairly obvious you don't like DSL or IRL without bleating on about it.

I mean, just don't play it. Simple.

I don't build Stock in the way that you do, nor do I have a showcase, because I dislike the style, but you don't see me whining about how bad it is.

Offline 123savethewhales

• Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
Naryar builds Standard?  I thought he only builds drunken bots for the past year.