Author Topic: A little question regarding newbies and DSL-IRL  (Read 12325 times)

Offline cephalopod

Re: A little question regarding newbies and DSL-IRL
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 05:30:12 PM »
I build IRL mostly now because I really like thinking about real designs. That and what 123 has already stated - DSL-S isn't fun anymore. It's gotten to where Stock always has been to me. You build a certain bot type or you suck.
Besides
1) It's a game, I can do what I want
2) I think I innovated in DSL-S enough, even if it was only 1 design, I can do what I want.

EDIT: I should make clear however that I think new builders should learn skills of the game itself, even like what components to use (eg Multis not Baseplate Anchors) and space management before delving into IRL
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 07:36:42 PM »
So essentially I could say "Stock builders can go **** themselves, it's a game, you don't need to spend 5+ hours making the tiniest chassis adjustments, stacking 3 blacks, etc" and you wouldn't hate on me for it? Is that what you're saying?
Yeah I don't see how it would take you 5+ hours to make a robot unless you making some huge UHW like Venko did for BOTM or make chassis off of math.

Offline Venko

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 09:43:46 PM »
What would happen if I build IRL DSL? Will I come up with some very effective new cool innovative never seen before design? If yes, they will probably s*** their pants from the fear of loosing and starting to label it as "illegal/cheap/not IRL" to prevent me from beating them (PI is a judge, and he hates me, so...). DSL IRL Cheap Norris anyone? CN can be built IRL.

That's the story behind my post about IRL DSL. This stoped me to even consider of starting it - some members from that community. But try to guess, will I ever play it after this thread...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:04:11 PM by Trovaner »

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 10:43:39 PM »
Venko if you managed to make a cool, never before seen design that could be made IRL, I'd be shocked, but I wouldn't go so far as to claim it not IRL. Yes Cheap Norris could be made IRL, but it wouldn't, just because it would kill itself as soon as its drive fell off.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:04:55 PM by Trovaner »

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 11:54:32 PM »
Yes Cheap Norris could be made IRL, but it wouldn't, just because it would kill itself everybody watching the battle outside the arena as soon as its drive fell off.
Fixed  :dumb)

Offline lloopp D lloopp

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • having a hard time holding these alligators down
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 02:41:27 PM »
I agree with Maz, in that people who bought RA2 wanted to build realistic robots like the ones they saw on Battlebots/Robot Wars, not crazy glitchy stacked 38 mace HSs, hence the rise of IRL
4 Brook moo moo moo moo moo moo how old was the movie food for Louis Missouri man hustle full moon eager for blow blow

currently 2-0 vs Clickbeetle in tournaments, the streak lives on
16th overall in BBEANS standings
runner up for best rookie award in BBEANS6
teamed up with jack daniels that one time
did okay in Clash Cubes 3 i guess
pound 4 pound the dreamiest gtm member

Offline 123savethewhales

• Rep: 30
  • Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 02:55:31 PM »
Clearly what this topic needs are more Luv <3 for IRL!!!

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ...is more dangerous...
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 04:28:56 PM »
I agree with Maz, in that people who bought RA2 wanted to build realistic robots like the ones they saw on Battlebots/Robot Wars, not crazy glitchy stacked 38 mace HSs, hence the rise of IRL
QFT

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 06:21:56 PM »
Back on topic, I think DSL-IRL is a good starting point, and is certainly more friendly than the "stack blacks, you could save 0.2kg by ditching the chassis and spending half an hour getting everything just so again" mentality that has always kept me away from any competitive stock. The problem arises when people end up going "Nice, is it IRL or standard?" presuming that A) The new user knows what standard is and B) That they want to be drafted into one of two channels and not choose the Dominating option of "Whatever the hell I like".
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:06:19 PM by Trovaner »

Offline 123savethewhales

• Rep: 30
  • Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 06:27:44 PM »
DSL-S "is" whatever the heck you like minus a few stacking rules and overlapping spinners.  You don't see anyone going into domanating's showcase complaining about efficiency.

However if they ask what will make their DSL-S bot function better, that's a whole other story.  We don't get to choose what works and what doesn't in DSL2 or RA2 physics.

Or maybe instead of caring about efficiency and tournaments, they can enter BOTM.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 12:46:54 AM »
Back on topic, I think DSL-IRL is a good starting point, and is certainly more friendly than the "stack blacks, you could save 0.2kg by ditching the chassis and spending half an hour getting everything just so again" mentality that has always kept me away from any competitive stock. The problem arises when people end up going "Nice, is it IRL or standard?" presuming that A) The new user knows what standard is and B) That they want to be drafted into one of two channels and not choose the Dominating option of "Whatever the hell I like".

^^the truth and nothing but the truth.

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »
This thread has been cleaned. I was also debating about locking or deleting this thread but there was nothing wrong with it besides the fact that it is highly controversial and many people got carried away. Expect punishments to be dealt out in the coming days. Anyone who decides to take part in another flame war here in this thread (even if you started it) will receive a minimum ban of 1 month.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 01:45:17 PM »
I dunno trov I don't think anyone exceeded bounds in this thread, with the exception of Mazakari.

But your call.

Offline Merrick

• Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 01:50:30 PM »
Quote from: Trovaner
Expect punishments to be dealt out in the coming days.

So I'm gonna get muted twice for one incident, am I?

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 01:54:05 PM »
Quote from: Trovaner
Expect punishments to be dealt out in the coming days.

So I'm gonna get muted twice for one incident, am I?

if you continue to be like that, maybe

Offline Merrick

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 01:56:10 PM »
I wasn't aware that asking a valid question was a bannable offence.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »
No, you are being passive-aggressive.

Besides, do you believe that we are so unfair that you will be muted twice for the same offence ?

Offline Merrick

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 02:42:19 PM »
I was asking because although you have muted me, Trov has yet to step in, and I was wondering if somebody who'd already been punished would be subject to further action in his eyes.

Offline Venko

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2013, 03:32:56 PM »
Here is what I think, about the bulding styles :

:thumbup Stock : It may don't have the variety or the balance of the DSL, but it's still cool. But some noobs/newbies can find it too hard, cos of the stacking, snapper loading and stuff.

:thumbup Stock noob level on purpose (but not stock IRL, it sux) : I'm OK with it, even some times I make a noob tournaments vs a noob AI or vs friends (they are noobs).

:thumbup DSL normal/standard : I'm not playing it, but I do respect it. If I ever build DSL, it will be the standard DSL. I remember the days, when all the members were building the both - DSL standard and stock, and it was cool. It just turns out, that even with the tries to balance it, in the end, some components are just better, like in stock, and I understand this, but I love stock with his unbalanced components, so the liking of DSL-S is not a problem.

:thumbdown DSL IRL  : The so called DSL-easy mode. The fact > , that my bots must be judged by a GTM members are they IRL or not, or a judges have to decide did I won or not, > alienates me from the IRL DSL. This is a game, the RA2 engine don't have the phisics of the real world, so if someone want to play something VERY realistic, then a real bot building in a garage is more recomended, but it's expensive tho.

:popcorn DSL 3 beta, Nar AI, 123's new TC and so on : not yet released/in a beta stage, so I can't comment them.

:thumbup Replica building : I'm OK with it, I even made 1 replica in stock long time ago.

Also, IMO, if you build stock, it makes you a better/hardcore builder overall ('cos stock is hard to build), so it makes the building easy later, when you move to the easier any DSL, but if you start with any DSL in the begining, later the stock will look very hard for you.

*post made more clear, in the terms of meaning, now*
I didn't use the right words for my opinion, now it's more clear.

Also, why the MikeNCR's post, explaining why he likes IRL DSL, was deleted? Nothing was wrong with his posts at all, he spoken some good stuff - off and on topic.

Offline Bellay

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 03:28:40 AM »
Do you want to change your style?Oh it is to some extent dangerous.You have been known as your style and you will not be know as you change your style.