Author Topic: Jimxorb's Bot Collection  (Read 5743 times)

Offline Jimxorb

• Rep: 0
  • The 'x' is lower case
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Jimxorb's Bot Collection
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 06:59:50 PM »
I didn't the popup wedge. The first time I saw one, if my memory serves, was Omegaforce's ICED OUT, his used 2 iron spikes that fired forward, I previously had 2 spike strips in a wedge that fired upwards. I switched to his forward set up and used a y connector with 2 razor tips on each DDT. This design is what really made popup wedges popular, that bot was called Death Port and this weapon set up blew the iron spikes out of the water.

I gave Death Port to Be0t, he liked it. He made a new version which was slightly larger but kept the overall shape and internals. He handed it back to me with this new set up. I actually stripped all the internals out and positioned them correctly as Be0t had only placed them very roughly, the robot got a skin and became Death Port 2 aka DP2. DP2 became the RA2T#2 champion and the ARC T2 (I think) champion. This design was cloned a lot, it was incredibly powerful. When he was entered into the tournaments he just looked like a wedge, nobody knew what weapons he had, which was obviously 4 razor tips. The trick to using this design is to get under a bot and stay under the bot, even if you need to push them to a wall before you dish out the damage. Be0t was very good at driving this style of bot.

I eventually made Death Port 3 which was similar but had a flipper with a small wedge, this design would get under any bot that did not have a similar set up, a design I had previously used on Hades. All of these bots are included in my collection. DP2 actually has the skin I gave him after he became the champion, this is the exact way he looks on the tournament arena floor skin. His original skin has been lost to time.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:09:21 PM by Jimxorb »
Team UK - United To The End

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 08:36:50 PM »
Be0t was very good at driving this style of bot.

man the glory days when driving mattered
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline frezal

• Pronouns: any
  • Rep: 5
  • I am all eyes
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Oh, she’s on Instagram!
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: shelly.burger#9497
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 09:46:18 PM »
Hi all,

I'm just stopping by to say "Hi".

Does anyone remember me? I used to be an admin on the official Robot Arena forum as well as the official tournament host. It's been exactly 12 since I registered on here.
For those that play RA2 still: If I can find it, I believe I have a USB stick somewhere with all of my old bots on, after all these years, does anyone want me to upload them and make them available for everyone? I spent a lot of time back in the day on many of them. Jex, E-Rupt and Hades might be my most well known, as well as Death Port 2. If people are interested I will dig it out tomorrow, tidy it up a bit and then will upload my entire collection.

EDIT:

I have uploaded my entire bot collection, here is the link to download it:

https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=284

I have a write-up on each bot I am in the process of finishing and will post it here.
Welcome back!

EDIT: I still have my B4B sig:
Destroy your lives, on purpose!

Offline Jimxorb

• The 'x' is lower case
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 05:23:46 PM »
Hi all,

I'm just stopping by to say "Hi".

Does anyone remember me? I used to be an admin on the official Robot Arena forum as well as the official tournament host. It's been exactly 12 since I registered on here.
For those that play RA2 still: If I can find it, I believe I have a USB stick somewhere with all of my old bots on, after all these years, does anyone want me to upload them and make them available for everyone? I spent a lot of time back in the day on many of them. Jex, E-Rupt and Hades might be my most well known, as well as Death Port 2. If people are interested I will dig it out tomorrow, tidy it up a bit and then will upload my entire collection.

EDIT:

I have uploaded my entire bot collection, here is the link to download it:

https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=284

I have a write-up on each bot I am in the process of finishing and will post it here.
Welcome back!

EDIT: I still have my B4B sig:
(Image removed from quote.)

Hey! Awesome.

I found one of my old ones:

Also found this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050209004523/http://www.b4b.jimxorb.com/Tree1.htm
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:52:33 PM by Jimxorb »

Offline Virus Bomb

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 07:41:14 PM »
any stories/history behind the jex and e-rupt series?

Offline Jimxorb

• The 'x' is lower case
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 06:59:31 AM »

Yeah. I was in the process of writing them up. I shall continue tonight. E-Rupt was basically an accidental dicovery, I kept that one a secret for a while and just posted a video of what he could do and challenged people to work out how it was achieved. I believe it was Clickbeetle that got it right in the end after quite a while. Frankly I was opposed to people using a bot like that in tournaments. I do remember having some fun matches using E-Rupt against C2's flipper bots, often the matches ended with 1 flip.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 05:02:03 PM by Jimxorb »

Offline Jimxorb

• The 'x' is lower case
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2018, 02:04:53 PM »

Yeah. I was in the process of writing them up. I shall continue tonight. E-Rupt was basically an accidental dicovery, I kept that one a secret for a while and just posted a video of what he could do and challenged people to work out how it was achieved. I believe it was Clickbeetle that got it right in the end after quite a while. Frankly I was opposed to people using a bot like that in tournaments. I do remember having some fun matches using E-Rupt against C2's flipper bots, often the matches ended with 1 flip.

Probably should do this write-up at some point if anyone is interested. I still remember so much about these bots. I spent so much time building them back in the day.

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 02:13:35 AM »
Just found this thread.  How was no one interested in this?  I'd be totally down for gathering 'round the fire and listening to old war stories.

Probably should do this write-up at some point if anyone is interested. I still remember so much about these bots. I spent so much time building them back in the day.

Also did I really figure out the E-Rupt setup?  I don't remember doing that but now that you mention it, I do remember it being a mystery for a long time and trying to guess how it worked.  Some people were speculating that you just used cheated burst motors.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline Redalert

• The inventor of Wandering Spinners and invincirammers
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -48
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
  • Discord: RedStorm
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 08:41:47 AM »
You can use the quake burst motors, but adding DDTs with sideways 60 cm. extenders and angle connectors will provide you with the rupt glitch.

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Interior crocodile alligator 🤔
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 10:48:35 AM »
You can use the quake burst motors, but adding DDTs with sideways 60 cm. extenders and angle connectors will provide you with the rupt glitch.
You need to read comments more. This thread was made in 2016
Achievements and tournament placings

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 10:50:52 AM »
why do you just make up terms like "quake burst motor"
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2018, 03:14:34 PM »
Can you guys please stop replying to his bumps so I only have to delete one post instead of 3-4 posts, thanks.

also im pretty sure the quake burst motor is from firebeetles part pack