Author Topic: A blast from the past... Checkin' da archives.  (Read 127378 times)

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -20
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A blast from the past... Checkin' da archives.
« Reply #300 on: July 17, 2010, 01:22:15 AM »
DP

And that's all that remains, maybe I should take pics of some of my new bots lol. Hot head is a new pic of an old bot.

Offline Pwnator

• Rep: 15
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • http://pwnator.tumblr.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #301 on: July 17, 2010, 01:25:20 AM »
Those aren't old enough, d00d. :P
Clash Cubes 1 - Grey Matter (Runner-Up)
King of Karnage - Sideshow Freak (Runner-Up, Best Engineered)
Rust In Pieces - Paper Cut 3 (Grand Champion, Most Dangerous Bot)
Wheely Tag Tournament - Ion Thruster (Grand Champion, along with Ounces' DiSemboweLment)
UK vs USA - Dark Striker (Grand Champion)
Rust In Pieces 2 - Claymore (Runner-Up, Favourite Bot)
BBEANS 6 - Infection 4 (Runner-Up)
RA2 Team Championships - Serious Business, Skeksis (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, and Badnik)
RA2 Team Championships 2 - The Other Stig (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, Badnik, 090901, and R1885)
Replica Wars 3 - Abaddon (Runner-Up, Luckiest Bot)
BroBots - wheebot & yaybot (Runner-Up)
Robo Zone 2 - Dipper (4th place, Survival Champion, & Best Axle Bot)
ARBBC - The Covenant (3rd place, BW Rumble Winner, Most Feared BW)

Offline ianh05

• Rep: 4
  • Stock AW Builder and Tourney Host!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: July 17, 2010, 01:43:02 PM »
why do i get the feeling sparkey is posting his new bots? maybe because they are uploaded using the GTM imagehost and they aren't linked from the actual old forums...
Check out my UI Improvements topic for stuff like longer team/bot import lists:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13324.0
How to make awesome splashes with paint:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13310.0
My showcase filled with antweights:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=1595.0
How to AI: For newbies (with pics!):
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13814.0
Best tournament results:
Tag Team Challenge and CombatAnts 3: runner-up
Around the World: 3rd place.

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #303 on: July 17, 2010, 01:43:49 PM »
so? Virus was posting a crap load from the galarey!

Offline G.K.

• Rep: 10
  • Striving for a good personal text since 1994.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: July 17, 2010, 01:44:25 PM »
They're his old bots, or at least, steel spartan is.
My above post explains everything about everything.

Host of: Wheely Tag, Back To The Beginnings, BTTB 2, BTTB 3, BTTB 4, & BTTB V.

Heavy Metal: Champion (Mockery of the Whole Concept)
Robotic International Wars Series 1: Champion (Minifridge 6)
RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Clash Cubes IV: 5th place (Fretless)
BBEANS 6: Rumble Winner & 6th Place (Minifridge 4)

Offline ianh05

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #305 on: July 17, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »
so? Virus was posting a crap load from the galarey!

because i know most of those robots and some are my old bots.
Best tournament results:

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: July 17, 2010, 01:47:56 PM »
I found moar but they don't need to be posted lolz

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »
I talked to jet-speed on youtube once. Said he would think about coming back. It was a heckuva long time ago though (before BBEANS 5 started).
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2010, 03:33:11 PM »
Pics won't work but here is the text:
Whohoo guys, 2 new bots! One a remake of that HW VS, and another, a 4 (Four, IIII, IV) HP-Z-tek drive MW rammer! Both are starting 2 new teams, a VS team and a rammer team (hopefully).

Start with the old... I rebuilt d0g, now renamed for the Mortal Engines-based team, Nakamaki Fox Spirit. Pretty sure I mispelllt it, I'll fix that when I dig out my copy of Mortal Engines...

I found that the most razors I've seen torn off on the sides are 2, so I used the weight, along with the weight I got from the rebuild and what I had already, to add a snowplow. I also changed the design a bit and tweaked the chassis a lot.

I made the pam-plate assembely stick out more, so now it is somewhat more dependant on getting under bots and more "centered" and stable, although that's not a problem because the new wedge adjustment lets it slide under Rabid Pit Bull and pretty much anything else. Overall, it's much improved and a GREAT all-around bot.

Unfortunatly I couldn't move the ramplates out because it would involve either making the chassis a lot bigger or doing a lot of funky extender work that would mess up a lot of the bot...

The new design is much improved, and the extra strong frontal armour totally eliminates some of that damage that seems to sneak through to the chassis on most of my other HW's. The snowplow helps loads, and in many matches it gets torn off, proving that it's taking some hits and saving the motors from them. I can take on Vortex and win, although it ain't pretty.

And my next bot, one I've worked ages on. Not as much the bot itself as all the other failures I had to make to get this one good one... It's an MW, and although IMHO I consider myself pretty good at HW's, I'm still learning how to make these, so this is a big accomplishment for me, especially since it's accualy a really kick-ass bot:

AFAIK (and that is a BIG AFAIK) it is the 2nd MW I've EVER seen with 4 HP-Z-tek drive, and the ONLY damage-causing one (the other was a 2-DDT flipper called Flame Leaf). I suppose that's enough to make it original. This thing went through a TON of rebuilds, all the way from testing if it would be a plausible MW, when I made a big box and literally started piling junk into it, to very very recently, when I moved the edge of the chassis a pixel or two to make sure there wasn't a mm of wasted space inside the thing... Finally it's gotten to the point where I have an MW good enough to post.

It started as an something like Exploding Bees with 2 more Z-teks bolted to the back and no plow. I got a lot of inspiration from Exploding Bees and Effe's UpperChopper/WIP's chassis. I tried it in combat and found that although the damage was pretty mad and it worked well, the wepons got torn off waay too easily. It worked fine on a 2-HP drive bot, but the extra speed was too much for 8 razors. I had to switch to 6 axes, and that wouldv'e been what it would be like now, except I showed Effe and sent him the bot file, and in about 2 minutes he came up with the new extender design with 10 razors that weighed only 5 kg's more than my setup with 8 razors, and beat the axe's weight and damage by a long shot. It scared me. On my final rebuild I decided to move the baseplates up and angle the razors down a bit, and that somewhat protects the top of the chassis a bit better, made the weapons more centered, and contrary to what I expected, the downward angle makes it a bit more stable when I hit stuff.

In combat it's a killer, taking out a TON of the starcore bots. Infact it's capable of owning anything other than an armoured pop-up or a 2-HP-Z-tek drive rammer with uber-crowded weapons. As you can see in the battle screenies I'll post later, it can pretty much deal with non-armoured pop-ups but the ones with ram-plates have an easy time because I can't hit the chassis enough to kill it before it kills me. And on battles with uber-crowded-weaponed rammers, I end up losing all my weapons. One thing I tried my best to do is hit all Starcore bots head-on, even if it meant falling for all thier traps. In multi things should be much improved against pop-ups as I can just hit everything on thier sides and blame it on "driver incompitence".

I've got loads of battle-shots against a lot of Starcore bots, including Fox Spirit beating Vortex ON THE FIRST TRY WITHOUT RUSHING and a prototype of Chaos Disorder sparking Dizzy Bee's control board 2 seconds into the match, on the first ram, and a LOT, I mean LOT, of overloaded Hspinners being turned into boxes without weapons. However Imageshack is frighteningly slow, so I'll post it in the next post, when hopefully IS isn't screwed as badly as it is now.

Lastly I'd like to thank Luigicia, whose Death was the last straw that made me go back into the botlab and make that VS, and Effe, who let me bug him on MSN a LOT and, of course, pretty much made the weapon system on Chaos.

Whohoo, new bot, and surprise, surprise, it's a LW! Definitly the first one I've ever posted and the only one that has any combat effectiveness whatsoever... The LW of my rammer team, CHAOS THEORY!

"A true designer knows he has acchieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"
-Some dude with a long name that sounds kinda French

It's gone through quite a few rebuilds, but I think it's finally done! Work started almost right after I finished the MW, pretty quick development stage... And now right to the battle shots! Some screens are from the previous version with the T-connector and I think one is from a version before that...

Chaos Theory keeps up his big brother's habbit of brutally ripping apart spinners, as you will see in the following screenshots...

CT's weakness to rammers is greatly fixed against LW's, because there usually isn't enough weight for armour on pop-ups, making them easy pickings.

For some reason, I get this nagging feeling that Team Emergency isn't very happy with me...

I still need to skin these bots, mgiht take awhile though... Still debating what to make for the skin...

Comments on this and previous 2 bots are welcome!

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: July 17, 2010, 03:35:42 PM »
New bot coming!

Guess who's back?

I was originally going to make it 4-tek drive, but I ran into problems, not weight but stability. I decided to try to redo the 2-motor drive, and it turned out pretty well. I've been trying to use extenders more effeciently, and the results are there. Tons of armour, better weaponry, MUCH improved wepon motor protection, wheel gaurds, ect.

Also, my first bot to use the axle-loading glitch and [maybe] the second to use it at all, that I've seen showcased. It's tricky to use but it works pretty well, if you can use it properly. The results, the lapping inner discs, allows me to apply more damage in the place I choose.

Call me stupid, but it was quite recently I discovered the motos and discs on this thing totally overlap, so it's accualy glitched, and no other combo of extenders quite works, which is why I had to use angle connectors... It's a pretty usefull glitch, having the discs totally overlap the back of the Z-tek like that.

It's still in testing, so no battle shots/name/skin, ect. I'll post more as I go, and I'm still considering changes, so please feel free to comment/criticize/ask questions ect.

Luguicia's Disaster Transport& Death and the Beetle Bros. bot made me get back and make something heavy and VS, so hats off to them. Also thanks to Effe, he gave me inspiration to click those little green things on the sides of extenders. Thanks!

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: July 17, 2010, 03:44:59 PM »
Triple post FTW

Offline Somebody

• SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #311 on: July 17, 2010, 05:08:48 PM »
This aint your showcase.

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: July 17, 2010, 05:10:43 PM »
do thoose really look like my bots?

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: July 17, 2010, 05:31:14 PM »
DP

Offline Somebody

• SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: July 17, 2010, 06:05:57 PM »
No the talking part in the two posts before that. Talking about your bot that you worked on.

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #315 on: July 17, 2010, 06:11:24 PM »
that was copy/pasted from the archive because the pics would'nt work.

Offline Somebody

• SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: July 17, 2010, 06:29:34 PM »
Well yeah but who posted it?

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Offline ianh05

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #318 on: July 18, 2010, 03:10:24 PM »
I talked to jet-speed on youtube once. Said he would think about coming back. It was a heckuva long time ago though (before BBEANS 5 started).

I have 3 of his bots still if he wants to return, they are the ones he sent me for ARBBC.
Best tournament results:

Offline frezal

• Pronouns: any
  • Rep: 5
  • I am all eyes
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Oh, she’s on Instagram!
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: shelly.burger#9497
« Reply #319 on: July 18, 2010, 03:14:05 PM »
http://web.archive.org/web/20030618174544/http://bots4battle.tk/
Man. I'd forgotten what the site even looked like. I see that I'm only credited as being a moderator and banner maker. I recall doing more graphics than just banners. Maybe I hadn't yet done anything else. (I notice Be0t, grawss, and HackerX weren't on the staff list yet.)
Destroy your lives, on purpose!